Versys for young driver, or sth else? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys for young driver, or sth else?

Hi there.
I'm 21y old, a month ago i passed driving license exam.
So far i had only 50cc scooter. Now i am thinking about buying serious motorcycle that is easy to drive for unexperienced driver.
I am 1,80m, 80kg weight.
I found in Ireland nice Kawasaki Versys to buy for not a big money. (link, clickto watch motorcycle).
Do you think this motor is proper for young driver? Will i manage to drive it safely? I'm writing this post in Other Motorcycle part of forum, becouse i thought you might advise me maybe other motorcycle, maybe even not Kawasaki?
I'm waiting for you opinions. Every reply appreciated.

Mark from Dublin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 AM

My nephew's first ride was a Kawasaki Ninja 250. Not a bad ride to start out with. Gets great gas mileage (better than the Versys), and maintenance is pretty cheap and simple. On the other hand it doesn't have the engine that the V has... depending how you look at it that could be a good thing or a bad thing. In the case of my nephew it was a good thing. Valentino Rossi he ain't... Just ride within your limits and you should be fine. Welcome to the forums!

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM

If your inseam is long enough, the Versys is a terrific first bike and one you won't outgrow. Reliable and cheap maintenance. Go for it but male sure it fits.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 AM

seems expnsive for an 07/20k? In the Uk, 3k will get you a lower milage than that

Anyway, yes, good bike to start on in many ways. Not hard to ride and can grow with it as get more experienced. Will you ride it safely? No idea? thats up to you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Check out some 250s. Great gas mileage, most can keep up with traffic and do some highway. This way you can learn the skills while having a forgiving machine underneath you (slower, lighter, and cheaper if your drop it). If you are looking for sportier riding (ie good handling and hard leans) check out the honda cbr250, ninja 250 and suzuki tu250x. Cheap and easy to maintain on your own as well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM

I am 25 now. Started riding when I was 22. I rode a 250 Ninja for 2 years before I bought the V. Best decision I made IMHO. I bought it new, rode it for 2 years and 10K miles, and sold it for $300 less than I bought it for.

I'm not saying you can't step right on the V and be fine, but it was nice to learn on a less powerful bike, and man are those little bikes fun to hustle around, so light, and revving them up just puts a smile on your face without doing hyper illegal speeds.

Plus they just look good.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM

If you have only ridden a scooter then no.

If you have some dirtbike or other motorcycle experience then maybe.

Looking back at some of the things I did when I was 21 I wouldn't trust myself on a moped so I'm glad I didn't have a big bike back then.

A big bike requires respect of its power not just the ability to throw a leg over it.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
My Versys is my first bike. If you are tall enough you should be able to handle it but won't outgrow it. If you aren't tall, it could be a handful and you will drop it. First riders do drop bikes (hell, I am six one and I dropped my Versys). However, the 250s are really easy to ride and they are cheap. The reason they are cheap, used, is because people do outgrow them quickly. If you plan to commit, buy the Versys and you won't regret it. If you aren't sure, the 250 is a great way to go and you can easily resell it.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM

I got back into 2 wheelers about 3 years ago. I narrowed my choices down to a Yamaha XT250 and the Versys. At the time I felt the Versys was a bit more than I wanted to handle and the XT had a nice low seat height, weighed about 250lbs., and not enough power to get into trouble on the street. I sold the XT in Sept. and upgraded to an 09 Versys. Best move I ever made. The XT was small enough that I could overpower it instead of the other way around and I never had to lay it down. I got 65-70mpg and ran on the highway at 65mph with no problem. All the XT needed was better tires so I went with the Avon Distanzia's and had lots of fun on and off road. Might just be the ticket for you too.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Bleh Now i don't know anything now
I wanted Versys, now i don't know what i want.
Choosing a motorcycle will be longer than i thought

Mark from Dublin
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaDublin View Post
Personaly think the Versys is a easy bike, my wife is 5'6 and has not had a lot of bike experiance, when she first took a demo version of a versys for a ride she comes back and saids its idiot proof, goes around the corner's on auto, she does own a cruiser though.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaDublin View Post
Kawa, go sit on a Versys. If you can handle the seat height (there is an easy solution to lower it) and are mature in your riding habits I say go for it. The Versys is a "real" bike but far from a "big" bike. It is not, by today's standards, a powerful bike at all but it can move out. The power delivery is very smooth and predictable. It is light weight. It is fantastic in city traffic and highway touring. This is the least challenging bike I've ever ridden. Look for the best deal. Buy it. Years from now you'll still be smiling.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 AM

I weigh in on the Ninja 250 crowd. Very plentifull on the used side and will get most of your money back when you resell. I have a 16 year old started him out on small 80cc at 10. Bought him a 250 at 14 and now rides the V at 16. We get our motorcyle license at 14 in this state.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Also know that a Versys is absolutely fast enough to catch an inexperienced rider out. I was not aware of how much more challenging cornering at 75MPH on the highway (two-lane, so tighter turns than interstate) could be as opposed to even 50MPH the first time I did it.

Just be forewarned that you will want to SLOWLY explore the upper reaches of the Versys' capabilities. Ride it at similar speeds to your scooter for a good little while. In other words, if your scooter tops out at 40MPH, don't take the Versys above 50MPH until you're REALLY comfortable at that speed. Then start edging it up. SLOWLY.

Have fun, ride safe.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM

the versys is my first street motorcycle. i'd ridden a bunch of varying off road bikes up to 450cc 4 strokes in the past but was by no means a seasoned rider when i started last year.

i'm 32 and a lot less daring and dumb than when i was when i was your age. i think i'd have gotten myself killed on a bike in my 20s.

that being said, i'd buy a cheap used 250r as suggested above and ride the p*ss out of it until you're ready. i jumped on the versys and went and it has been fine, but i'm 10 years wiser...

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Hey!

I'm 21 either and although this is not my first bike (had a scooter and then a fz6 [600cc, 98hp] ) I'm loving this bike! and I'd say a really good first bike, as it's revvy enough for your adrenaline needs and also has the good brakes and suspension you need for a bike to be forgiving!

I'd say go for it!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

All we can do is tell you our experiences, without telling you what to do.

I bought my first motorcycle a year and a half ago at age 46. I'm not a daredevil but I'm very comfortable on a bicycle, able to do a trackstand and to descend a winding mountain road at 55 mph. So I carried that confidence into motorcycle riding. Bottom line: I probably rode more like a 21-year-old than a typical 40-something newbie motorcyclist.

That first motorcycle was a Ninja 500, and it was the perfect beginner's motorcycle for me. I felt comfortable taking it on the interstate highway (what do you call the equivalent -- a carriageway?) and it's a great combination of speed (capable of triple digits), acceleration (won't overwhelm the newbie), and agility (flickable and fun).

I don't think a Versys would have been safe as my first motorcycle, because the torque would have gotten me into trouble. I would have accidentally lifted the front wheel at a bad moment, or accelerated too fast out of an apex, possibly low-siding.

If you can find a used Ninja 500, try it out. A little faster and not much heavier than a Ninja 250.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM

get a harley

you need to consider the type of riding you're going to be doing....I'm a commuter & I have the ninja 650r for beating up traffic but many times especially on the highway I was wishing for a BanditGT or Harley or anything bigger...but thats me....in town sometimes I wish I was on a 250..
buying a bike is a mixed bag..goodluck, try to find what fits your needs best.......the best part about motorcycles is you can fit a ****load of em in a 2 car garage, wereas only 2 cars fit in the same garage...so you can just keep buying more bikes to fit your changing needs/budget
my 1st street bike was a '77 sportster 900 got it when I was 14 & rode it to school with my trumpet everyday....yep band geek & sportster guy /end embarrassing high school stories

Scott
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Clouding the issue with facts(as I see it)

I'd have to agree with some of the other posters recommending getting a 'beater bike' first. Around 400 or 500cc. In my opinion a 250 will get old for you very quick!
The only downfall in this approach is fixing it up with the usual, tires, chain, sprockets etc. can be a little costly to have done at the dealer, and it will add zero value to the bike.....but....when it falls over, and it probably will???? you'll hopefully be able to pick it up and ride away without much cost!! Other than your ego.You may want to ride the beast for a couple of years to wear out your tires, chain and sprockets.

Even 250's are tourqie and wheelies(unwanted) are easier than on a bike with a little more weight(from my experience). Going too fast into a corner can be done on a moped...stick at or under posted limits, considering the fact that you can't see around a corner or over a hill 'till you get past the apex. thats all.

While the V is the most effortles to ride bike I've owned I think it to be more than you may need, being a newbie. But what do I know?

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 01-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. You've confirmed my doubts. I'll try Ninja too. I'll just take a try-out ride and see which is better for me. I'l let you know what did i buy and am i still alive
-----------------after editing post.
I've tried Ninja. It's a great motobike. Really great. I enjoyed it very much, but i want to know all the options and choose best motorbike for me, so i'd like you also to give opinion about Honda CB.
There is a guy in Dublin selling this Honda CB 400 in great condition for good money(1850euro). Could you tell me if its good motorbike?

Mark from Dublin

Last edited by KawaDublin; 03-04-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: I want to write something more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode