Sachs MadAss 125 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sachs MadAss 125

Anybody have one of these?

I have told my wife I would like to buy one of these for my birthday. My commute is 4 miles with one stop sign (which I almost always run) and a 45 mph speed limit. Looks like the motor is a Honda knock-off but made in China. I found a dealer about 25 miles from me. $2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 PM

My friend did.
Technically, it was mine but that's another story.

A few years ago it cost 1300euro over here, so I'm a bit surprised with that price. Especially when everything is cheeper in USA.

Other then that, this little thing is an absolute blast.
I didn't do many kilometers on it but the ones I did wouldn't bore a Dakar rider. It can handle everything. My friend did a few 300+ km rides on it, witch is stretching the purpose a bit, and it faired well.
It sounds like a real bike especially compared to scooters around town.
Fuel consumption is ridiculously low.
Nothing in termes of service. (think: Versys)
Quirky. You either like it or hate it. I ushered every scooter rider to give it a try and consider it but it often fell on deaf ears.

I agree with pretty much everything in this WbW review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...hs-madass-125/

Here is a lengthy thread on AdvRider. I never read it, but it has to have some useful information.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486812

A few more things,
If you are around 190cm and 80-90kg.....It will work, but you'll look kind of goofy.
Please, please don't get it in yellow.
I could dig up some pictures if you like.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 01:21 PM

I met a guy at Road America that was riding one through the woods outside of the Carousel. He said it was a great little bike. He was going everywhere on that thing.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ivan V. A question if I may?

I go about 210#. I eat way too much cheese.

Will this thing haul my cheese-filled arse 50 mph? Without undue motor strain?

OK that was 2 questions,,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:02 PM

It should.
My friend weighs about the same and he didn't complain.
He is also capable of breaking an anvil, and he didn't manage to break this thing. Had a few lay-downs but only turn signals cracked.
Definitely test ride it if you have an opportunity.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Interesting! Why would anyone want a moped or a scooter when they could have one of these for about the same price as a moped and much less than most scooters. About 55 mph. with a 200lb rider...just stay of the super-slabs and you're good to go.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sachs Motorcycles is a German based motorcycle manufacturer, founded in 1886 in Schweinfurt. It is one of the world's oldest motorcycle manufacturers. (Triumph produced bikes in 1902 and Harley-Davidson in 1903)

Sachs manufactured their first motorcycle in 1904. Sachs took over Victoria, Express and DKW in the 1960s, and began to supply motorcycles for the German Federal Armed Forces in 1992.

In recent times, Sachs had been reduced to local assembly of small, cheap, Chinese-sourced scooters, which weren't doing well. The distinctive Sachs MadAss was the last Sachs-engineered motorcycle made.

After facing a series of financial problems, stemming from pensions issues relating to the Hercules bicycle works,

the company went into insolvency proceedings and ultimately saw a successful management buyout led by the managing director Corrado Savazzi. The insolvency administrator Mr. Wolker Boehm was not only able to continue trading, but also put the company in a position to develop new models, such as the new XTC125, unveiled at the Intermot fair in Cologne, Germany in October 2006. Business operations continue from the same location as before.

The Sachs MadAss is an underbone motorcycle available in a 49 cc (3.0 cu in) or 125 cc (7.6 cu in) made by German automotive company Sachs Motorcycles since 2000. The engine is based on the popular horizontal one cylinder originally used in Honda mopeds and small motorcycles from late 60s.

It incorporates the fuel tank into the frame and has no external bodywork or fairings. It has a stainless steel under-seat muffler, a 4-speed manual gearbox or automatic transmission and dual hydraulic disc brake. The front headlights are positioned vertically. In the US, the 49 cc (3.0 cu in) model is limited to 40 mph (64 km/h) to qualify as a moped in some jurisdictions.

The MadAss has been sold in the US as the Xkeleton Trickster, and under the Pierspeed and Tomberlin brands as the MadAss.

http://www.sfm-bikes.de/de/

Last edited by Fastoman; 12-27-2010 at 01:58 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Yes I have one of these and use it for my commuting in the city, it works well although alot of other motorists are getting extremely jealous. Right now I am getting about 64mpg down from about 68mpg(.7 gals) during the warmer months, I like it alot and the fact that you have to fill up every 64 miles for only the cost of a gallon of gas, I say raise the prices. LOL.

I have 3400+ miles on the bike and the only issue so far has been the oil seal which has popped out 2 times, after reading the schematics I just have to remember to tighten the parts that hold the oil seal in place. I purchased an oil cooler thinking that would cut down on the gases, pressure and temp of the engine, so far it looks like it is working.

I had a freak accident with the bike as during the cold months I was showing it to some family members and during a test ride someone hit an ice patch which caused the bike to swerve, he recovered but complained of the bike riding funny, unfortunately he was not too specific on what he said. Come this spring I took the bike out after the winter nap and had a small problem with starting, it was not responding to the electric starter, hit the kick-start and the bike sounded fine. After about a month the bike started to lose power, buck like a magnet was hitting the bike and robbing the bike of power. I originally thought that a reverse polarization had been going on in some sort of a strange magnetic field. After the bike would no longer start, meaning I had to turn the steering to the right or left to start and then it would stall returning the handlebars straight did I call an expert. It was just the strangest thing.

He said the ignition wire was cut, it happens all the time and he has seen it frequently at the shop up north, he was correct. I just could not believe the ignition wires had been severed but it makes sense as the ignition is the power on for the bike. I think it was from freezing and the sudden jolt. I wound up trying to save the plugs but to no avail, I had to bridge the wires, solder them, wrap in electrical tape and the bike rides fine now, the lights are even brighter.

Hands down the Sachs Madass 125 has filled the void for me in the city, it is small enough that it can fit in the garage door, light enough I can push it up 4 stairs to put in the yard and just the type I was looking for.

I had looked at other scooters but the bars were not tall enough and my knees kept hitting, talking about modifying most techs said it was not worth it and was alot of work.

With the modifications offered the bike will fit the folks that want to drag race on a track, to people speeding on a highway and fit the niche looking for some convenient mpg's.

www.moto-scoot.net
www.ooracing.com
www.fasttrails.com

J B Nimble

08 Kawasaki Versys 650 (22,400 mi.)

Givi Windscreen
EZ Pass Holder(bar mounted)
6 panel fuse box(Twisted throttle)
Ground wiring block(Twisted Throttle)
Motowerks GPS Bracket
GPS City Tom Tom bracket
12V accessory plug
TomTom 720 Go
Hepco & Becker engine guard
Hella FF50 Driving lights
Bags Connection "Shorty" tankbag
Bags Connection "Cargobag"
Givi 52L trunk box & rack
Saddlemen Gel Seat
Ermax Hugger Fender

06 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold 13, 679 mi.)

Last edited by J B Nimble; 11-26-2012 at 07:10 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I love your ramp!

After way too much thought, I did not buy a MadAss. I picked up a Honda PCX 125 for my commute. $2900 Had to put a Givi screen on it because my sunglasses would not stay on my head at speed. Top speed so far has been 64mph on a GPS. I only have 300 miles on it.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I love your ramp!
LOL....Yeah it works really well. Like the scoot, really nice and nice top end.

How do you like the GY6 engine?

J B Nimble

Givi Windscreen
Motowerks GPS Bracket
GPS City Tom Tom bracket
12V accessory plug
TomTom 720 Go
Saddlemen Gel Seat
Ermax Hugger Fender

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how to answer this. Is not a GY6 a Lifan engine? The Honda PCX 125 is fuel injected and water cooled and I think GY6's are air cooled and carbed?

Are they in same engine type family? I really don't know.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 PM

The engines are 2 different types of engines and yes LiFan does make a GY6 engine. The main difference is that the GY6 has all the drivetrain connected, swingarm, belt, engine are all 1 unit, whereas the traditional type engines have separate components and either a chain or shaft driven engine.

From the looks of the scooter your seems to be a GY6.

Check this 7 part series regarding the GY6 engine from MRP Sports.

Also on youtube the Kymco Super 9 has a great tutorial regarding GY6 engine manipulation.

J B Nimble

Givi Windscreen
Motowerks GPS Bracket
GPS City Tom Tom bracket
12V accessory plug
TomTom 720 Go
Saddlemen Gel Seat
Ermax Hugger Fender

Last edited by J B Nimble; 04-17-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode