Triumph 2011 Tiger 800 first ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Triumph 2011 Tiger 800 first ride

Very favorable first ride review:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...fications.html

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
hmm....suddenly I gotta wonder if the Multi Strada, at twice the price, is REALLY twice the bike.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 01:05 PM

Oh, Oh, Please Santa bring me one of these...I promise I'll be good till the end of the year...I promise...No more flipping off dumbass cagers, no more muttering bad words to the ass**** in front of me at Starbucks who can't find their money...
See Santa the reason I am asking, ok begging, you to bring one of these Tiger 800's is I think my V is getting lonely...And if they were stable mates they could all have a good laugh about what an awful rider I am...But that's ok Santa, to give up some bad habits for a few days would be worth it...And just think Santa for all those riders out there who can't make up their minds on what bike to buy, my evaluation would be invaluable. No more humping 2-3 bikes around to each riders house when I could tell you what bike would be best...
Oh yeah, and Santa, before I forget...You don't need to bring the 800 down the chimney, I'll leave the gargage open with the heater on and a shot of your favorite
And one more tiny favor sinse I'm promising to be so good...If you have room could you maybe drop of a 800GS so I could really get this comparrison thing nailed...
Well, that's all I'm asking for Santa.. I have attached a Google map in case you forgot where I live...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Oh, Oh, Please Santa bring me one of these...I promise I'll be good till the end of the year...I promise...No more flipping off dumbass cagers, no more muttering bad words to the ass**** in front of me at Starbucks who can't find their money...
See Santa the reason I am asking, ok begging, you to bring one of these Tiger 800's is I think my V is getting lonely...And if they were stable mates they could all have a good laugh about what an awful rider I am...But that's ok Santa, to give up some bad habits for a few days would be worth it...And just think Santa for all those riders out there who can't make up their minds on what bike to buy, my evaluation would be invaluable. No more humping 2-3 bikes around to each riders house when I could tell you what bike would be best...
Oh yeah, and Santa, before I forget...You don't need to bring the 800 down the chimney, I'll leave the gargage open with the heater on and a shot of your favorite
And one more tiny favor sinse I'm promising to be so good...If you have room could you maybe drop of a 800GS so I could really get this comparrison thing nailed...
Well, that's all I'm asking for Santa.. I have attached a Google map in case you forgot where I live...
+1!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I couldn't get it to open without subscribing to the magazine.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
hmm....suddenly I gotta wonder if the Multi Strada, at twice the price, is REALLY twice the bike.
After many test rides, hours and hours of research my answer is: Yes, it is twice the bike.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Keep trying, it will open. It usually takes me two tries to open their tests. If that doesn't work, start at the home page, go to FIRST RIDES, and open.

Martin,
I agree, the Multistrada is twice the machine, or at least 1 and 1/3 or the machine, because its 33% more displacement. If you are considering a motorcycle for any dirt use at all, read this assessment of the Multistrada versus the BMW GS. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...00s/index.html They called the Multistrada a streetbike, with a relaxed all day riding position. Basically a 1198 in a touring form.

I think Triumph has it figured out; offer the model in two forms. The 800 will match up against the ST versions, and the XC will give riders who are more adventure oriented an option, without having to modify. I think Kawasaki would be smart to follow suit.

That's it, a Versys XC, wouldn't that rock?

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 11-30-2010 at 06:08 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
After many test rides, hours and hours of research my answer is: Yes, it is twice the bike.
Dang, you were supposed to talk me OUT of the Strada...LOL

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
Dang, you were supposed to talk me OUT of the Strada...LOL
Sorry - no can do. Been trying to talk myself out of it in various ways, but the closer I look the better the bike gets...

Yes, I understand it's not a dirtbike.
Yes, I understand it's not an adventure bike.
Yes, I know it's pricy.
Yes, I know the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 is coming soon.
Yes, I've looked in to Triumph Tiger 1050 and 800.
Yes, I have checked the new Honda CD something coming spring '11
Yes, I've checked out all the KTM.

The Ducati Multistrada 1200 - even the base model - is the one I'd buy in a heartbeat if I had the cash.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
It opened for me after I refreshed the page. You got to hand it to the Brits. They know how to make them trick. Almost bought a Speed Triple before the Versys.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Non XC version.

My Album:
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 AM

mumblings at the NEC bike show in the UK from Kawasaku suggest a higher capacity Versys is under development, no idea of release date or even if it is genuine
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Am I the only one who think triumph just got the looks wrong on the Tiger 800?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 AM

I think it looks sharp, robotic almost, like it might come alive and talk in binary. The on road version could use more of a beak, but it is styled perfectly for the XC version.

Here is an ugly bike for you to drool over, i mean puke on...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/gallery.aspx
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM

you can get a beak for the 800, comes as standard on the XC

sat on a Super Tenere at the NEC bike show on Tuesday. was surprised how low it is and comfortable. lower than a Versys and much more padding. felt a very interesting bike, but not at the price they are quoting.

I'm sort of leaning to a Tiger 1050 or 800 at present. If the rumours are true then there will be quie a few second hand 1050's (and Versys's) as owners change bikes come spring.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post

Nope! I agree with you....

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
I don't know if I'd say "wrong", but definitely not what I was expecting. But yeah, not a huge fan of the styling. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in person.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
mumblings at the NEC bike show in the UK from Kawasaku suggest a higher capacity Versys is under development, no idea of release date or even if it is genuine
Although while (during the recession) other manufacturers retreated from new model releases, KHI has redone practically their entire lineup. Good on them !
If they only realized HOW CLOSE THEY WERE to taking the adventure bike niche with an adventurized Versys, they would have beaten BMW, Triumph and Suzuki to the marketplace.

Picture an 800 Versys Adventure: easily "parts-bin" cloned from the original at only marginally more production cost. How come we see it, BMW sees it, Triumph sees it.....but they can't ?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcooper View Post
Although while (during the recession) other manufacturers retreated from new model releases, KHI has redone practically their entire lineup. Good on them !
If they only realized HOW CLOSE THEY WERE to taking the adventure bike niche with an adventurized Versys, they would have beaten BMW, Triumph and Suzuki to the marketplace.

Picture an 800 Versys Adventure: easily "parts-bin" cloned from the original at only marginally more production cost. How come we see it, BMW sees it, Triumph sees it.....but they can't ?
If I'm not misinterpreting the info I've run across on Kawasaki's 650 twin, there isn't a whole lot of displacement left in it. The engine was designed to be extremely compact, so there may very well be no room to appreciably expand bore or stroke without overstraining the block. I'm sure more serious tech-heads than I will correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not, that means a new or heavily revised engine for the theoretical displacement target, or something based on the Z750 powerplant, and a revvy four is probably not ideal for such an application.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 AM

I still say the Versys has enough power unless you are riding two up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode