Look Out Harley - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Look Out Harley

Yamaha unwraps super cruiser Venture motorcycle - LA Times

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just had to reflect that motorcycle riding rule #4 for me over the decades was always "don't ride anything you can't pick up."

I can't see trying to right the Yammie Queen Mary there without a block and tackle and a whole BUNCH of help...
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not a fan of the Japanese vtwin cruisers, but that looks pretty good.
weljo2001 and Metalmad like this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 PM

Damn. $25k. Good luck Yamaha.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium [ Sold: Feb. 2019 ]
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Damn. $25k. Good luck Yamaha.

Cheaper than a Harley and Yamaha holds the top spot in motorcycle reliability..... I think they'll do okay
Metalmad, Lurch71 and aemacleod like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Cheaper than a Harley and Yamaha holds the top spot in motorcycle reliability..... I think they'll do okay
My buddy, the guy we rode ACH with, had his 10k service done on his Street Glide, paid $790 at Orange County Harley. I believe they were 5 or 6 out of 10 in the latest article in the he Motorcyclist. $$$$ would be their rating!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 PM

The Vulcan Vaquero ABS is even cheaper and very nice.
chrisfla1 likes this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
The Vulcan Vaquero ABS is even cheaper and very nice.
The Voyager would be the bike that compares. Kawasaki is about to give up on the big V-twin touring segment. They have had to discount the big V-twins to sell them.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Garage
I'm sorry, but they should have gone with a V4 based on the Vmax. Air cooled? I predict the only buyers are going to be Harley haters and those who feel they need reverse.

I'll keep my Road Glide Ultra thank you very much. At least it has liquid cooling for rider comfort.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
My buddy, the guy we rode ACH with, had his 10k service done on his Street Glide, paid $790 at Orange County Harley. I believe they were 5 or 6 out of 10 in the latest article in the he Motorcyclist. $$$$ would be their rating!
Did he tell you what they did for $790? IMO, if you can't perform simple maintenance on your own bike, you are missing out on part of the experience of owning a bike. Does he let them wash it too?

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Yep that Harley life style isn't cheap...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I'm sorry, but they should have gone with a V4 based on the Vmax. Air cooled? I predict the only buyers are going to be Harley haters and those who feel they need reverse.

I'll keep my Road Glide Ultra thank you very much. At least it has liquid cooling for rider comfort.

Hmmmm....All those times in the 80's i rode from texas to south carolina on an air cooled bike. I'm surprised I'm alive today..
Metalmad and aemacleod like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/tr...nental-touring

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Did he tell you what they did for $790? IMO, if you can't perform simple maintenance on your own bike, you are missing out on part of the experience of owning a bike. Does he let them wash it too?
That's funny ****! It's one of many reasons I purchased the V1k and the Concours, I can at least do oil and filter changes and some other simple stuff. The Harley is eye candy.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:29 PM

Air cooled sucks..... for 24-26k I would expect it to be liquid cooled.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I just had to reflect that motorcycle riding rule #4 for me over the decades was always "don't ride anything you can't pick up."

I can't see trying to right the Yammie Queen Mary there without a block and tackle and a whole BUNCH of help...
well said...looks nice but not for me..
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
it will sell O.k, but it won't even be a blip on Harleys radar in terms of sales for those like minded bikes..
407guy likes this.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
it will sell O.k, but it won't even be a blip on Harleys radar in terms of sales for those like minded bikes..
History be reminded that US Auto industries lost out to the Japaneses Auto Industries. I may be right or wrong in saying this but HD has not done enough to retain its market strength. Its just a matter of time when bikers realize that there is something better the HD, at least cost wise..

Just my 2cts thought..
Metalmad likes this.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
History be reminded that US Auto industries lost out to the Japaneses Auto Industries. I may be right or wrong in saying this but HD has not done enough to retain its market strength. Its just a matter of time when bikers realize that there is something better the HD, at least cost wise..

Just my 2cts thought..
I think in terms of an auto analogy, I would put Harley in the category of the big threes HD truck line.. The Japs have come out with some decent trucks in the 1/2 ton market for a few years now, notably the Tundra.. However they haven't put that much of a strain on us market for truck share, specifically heavy duty trucks.. However they
may make that market share up with compacts and SUVS, family sedans etc.. All Harley offers is a Pickup truck, to varying degrees.

Myself, I would have zero issues buying That yamaha were I in the market for such a bike. Everyone I ride with has Harleys , except 2 folks on beemers, I'd do it just to tick em off L I wish them luck, But theres not a bike in the world worth over 20K to me personally.. I don't care what it is. Very few worth 14K to me personally.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I think in terms of an auto analogy, I would put Harley in the category of the big threes HD truck line.. The Japs have come out with some decent trucks in the 1/2 ton market for a few years now, notably the Tundra.. However they haven't put that much of a strain on us market for truck share, specifically heavy duty trucks.. However they
may make that market share up with compacts and SUVS, family sedans etc.. All Harley offers is a Pickup truck, to varying degrees.

Myself, I would have zero issues buying That yamaha were I in the market for such a bike. Everyone I ride with has Harleys , except 2 folks on beemers, I'd do it just to tick em off L I wish them luck, But theres not a bike in the world worth over 20K to me personally.. I don't care what it is. Very few worth 14K to me personally.
I would have never bought the Road Glide Ultra based on worth. But when Harley sent me an email offering me the extended warranty for $1, and the local dealer sent me an email offering to give me full NADA on my trade in. I traded my Voyager, Mean Streak, and Versys after stripping all the accessories off of them. The combined mileage between the bikes was 100,000 miles. I figure I got between $8k - $10k more then I could have got selling them off myself with that kind of mileage. That made the trade worth it to me.

I can go from full touring road tripper:

to back roads cruiser in a couple minutes:

It is not for everyone, but it works for me.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode