Bought a Ural Patrol - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Time
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bought a Ural Patrol

After I had cleaned, polished and waxing my 2012 Versys. Changed tires and installed a replacement windshield, the old one gave it's all fending off a crazed Pheasant but it did the job and I didn't get hit. I looked at it sitting in the sunshine and thought WHY would I trade it in??? I just got it where I want it. So I passed on the trade in offer from a shop I rarely go to. And few days latter I was bored (bad thing that) and road over to look at the Urals where I had bought my Royal Enfield from before RENA change the show and dealer base on Enfields. Well to make a long story short I have wanted a Sidecar rig for years but life kinda got in the way. BUT the coast is clear at the moment so I got a quote and checked with my CU, they said Sure Thing when do you want the check. So I called the dealer and told them the Burgundy Patrol they have coming in mid june is sold and to put a sign on it. I'll ride over next week and give them a deposit on it. THEN I'll spend the next two or three week pacing the floor!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats. I hear they are a trip to ride. Most I've talked to who own one have it as their 3rd or more bike. Something for a different riding experience. If I had a 4 legged companion I wanted to take with me I could see getting one.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Those critters have a special kind of cool that attracts my attention.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

After selling my KLR last year due the illness and bills my fortunes bottomed out and have reversed so I could buy one. I want a bike I could go Fly Fishing on again and there's no way I'd beat my Versys to death chugging in and out of some of the places I took the KLR. Not even sure if I'll beat on the Ural that hard or not. There's room as you can get a jeep in but they're all rocky roads and it'd bend the rims on my Versys in a heart beat. I've seen videos of people riding (close to falling off) a Ural in places I don't know if I could even walk.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Looking forward to your write up on this forum once you get it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 AM

Garage
A Ural is on my list as well. Had to pass on a 2010 last month, but I will own one soon, and keep my Versys as a backup

I ride to get lost and find my way back.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If I had a 4 legged companion I wanted to take with me I could see getting one.
This right here. I've been thinking about it, and it would be a blast. Be cool if I could figure out ahead of time if my pup would really like it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just saw a segment on a tv show about the Ural sidecars. They sure look like fun! No dealers anywhere nearby to go see one.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Just saw a segment on a tv show about the Ural sidecars. They sure look like fun! No dealers anywhere nearby to go see one.
You need to go into it knowing these aren't Hondas. Those that can't perform maintenance and repairs as well as diligent about pre-ride inspections should carefully consider the worth.
kballowe likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You need to go into it knowing these aren't Hondas. Those that can't perform maintenance and repairs as well as diligent about pre-ride inspections should carefully consider the worth.
The Urals have come a long way in reliability. The friend who has had 2 said about his first, a 1999 I think, that a trip to the mailbox was iffy at times, end of the drive. His new one has made major road trip the Washington State from Indiana without a hitch.

I am diligent about pre-ride inspections no matter what I ride or drive every little bit helps. When I was learning to fly it was pointed out that it's real hard to pull over to a cloud and pop the hood.

As far as working on a bike. NO ONE but myself touches my bikes unless I trust them 110%. The owner's manual for the Ural even has torque setting in it, I never seen that before.

Sometimes what we have heard is right sometimes not. I was told the Royal Enfields were junk and wouldn't last a month without breaking down. Never left me on the side of the road. Same story on my Buell. Could it be I check thing closely and make sure I follow the manual? Or just lucky. All I know is the only bike I have ever had to have towed home was my KLR. A short in a driving rain on the interstate that proved to be beyond finding in the wet and dark. Even when it was home a dried off took 3 1/2 hours to find, 3 1/2 minutes to fix though, the shorted wire had rubbed through and the hole was about the size of a pinhead.
twowheeladdict likes this.

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Congrats!! FUN FUN FUN you shall have

As a Uralist myself, I have to say it is the one bike I will always have meaning I will never be without one. From 2011 to 2015 I rode and drove nothing else year round. 52,000 miles of sun, snow, rain, below freezing temps (-21f to 98f) never stopped her and I from getting to where we were going. The absolute most fun there is. She has some cancer of the body (Maine winters salt and calcium) being worked on now and soon she will be whole again and I cannot wait. My wife calls her my mistress and she is the only mistress I have so my wife is okay with that.

Get used to UDF (Ural Delay Factor) everywhere you go there will be questions, photo ops, etc.

You will either love her or hate her there does not seem to be a middle with a Ural. I hope you love her and good luck

PS

Get over to soviet steeds and read what people who actually own and ride these bikes have to say and know. Too many motorcycle forums have so many who have read, heard, think or even believe they know about these bikes well they don't.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up

Last edited by Kzen; 05-30-2017 at 02:45 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
The Urals have come a long way in reliability. The friend who has had 2 said about his first, a 1999 I think, that a trip to the mailbox was iffy at times, end of the drive....
I rode to Alaska on my '04 KLR w/ a buddy out of Arkansas on his URAL, back in '05. We had LOTS of rain, and it SEEMED that every time the URAL went thru a puddle it would stop running.

Here are just FOUR pics from that trip (and I later told him that URAL is an acronym for UnReliableAsianLemon), tho' I know that they're much better NOW!

I have MANY MORE...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzen View Post
Congrats!! FUN FUN FUN you shall have

As a Uralist myself, I have to say it is the one bike I will always have meaning I will never be without one. From 2011 to 2015 I rode and drove nothing else year round. 52,000 miles of sun, snow, rain, below freezing temps (-21f to 98f) never stopped her and I from getting to where we were going. The absolute most fun there is. She has some cancer of the body (Maine winters salt and calcium) being worked on now and soon she will be whole again and I cannot wait. My wife calls her my mistress and she is the only mistress I have so my wife is okay with that.

Get used to UDF (Ural Delay Factor) everywhere you go there will be questions, photo ops, etc.

You will either love her or hate her there does not seem to be a middle with a Ural. I hope you love her and good luck

PS

Get over to soviet steeds and read what people who actually own and ride these bikes have to say and know. Too many motorcycle forums have so many who have read, heard, think or even believe they know about these bikes well they don't.

Soviet Steeds - Index page
Kind of like Japanese motorcycle owners discussing Harleys. :-)
thunderkitty likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I picked it up Saturday, I'd ordered one in Burgundy as it's a "Standard" paint but I was told they couldn't get until late July at the earliest. BUT we have a Terracotta Metallic (metal flake orange) Patrol in stock and I can make a deal if you want to. I liked it better but without a break...well I'm not paying $1000.00 from a orange bike. I added the sidecar bumper, more as a place to mount running lights and the 10lt Gas Can, it's cool and I ran out of gas once and only once and plan to keep it that way.

The ride home. First you need to read this with a Heavy Russian accent "Buy Ural Motorcycle and get free Body Building course!" This thing is a Moose and takes a lot on muscle to turn. And turning to the left isn't too bad but to the right MAN it's scary, seams like to about to flip, never did and I truly don't think I was anywhere near even "Flying the Car" but it's a feeling that will take time to get use to.

Every stop and there were a few to let the motor cool and for me to grab a bottle of water of a soda, hot day, somebody cam over to talk about the Ural and ask a ton of question, I was lost on some of them remember I just had bought it.

It truth I had been warned so many time how different and hard they were to ride I was a bit scared but had no real trouble at all. But then again I took back roads all the way home and they were the straightest ones I could find. I did get a couple of oil filters and stop at Auto Zone and picked up 5qts of 20-50 it and a bottle of 80-90 gear oil, for the finale drive

But still I have a lot to learn, it's not a motorcycle or a car, it it's own beast. Here are a few photos.

I had gone over Friday to put a down payment on the Burgundy and ended up with the Terracotta Metallic one and I was happy even if I don't look like it. I work 3rd shift and had been up close to 24 hours and was tried and had at least another 12-18 hours before I would find a bed. I had to go to the CU, insurance agency, then I had to meet with my lawyer over things (nothing bad) and after a bite to the doctor for a check up, always a PITA...a shot in the butt and one in each arm.

Notice the Sold sign taped to the fairing.

And a couple of shots outside.

Now I just manage NOT to kill myself I might have fun!

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-05-2017 at 06:12 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can you put some ballast in the sidecar to keep it on the ground in right hand turns?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Can you put some ballast in the sidecar to keep it on the ground in right hand turns?

I have "George" in there 50# bag of sand. It helps and I think a lot of what's going on is how I react to how different a sidecar rig handles compered to a motorcycle.

But I need to learn to "Fly the Car" not to show off or anything like that but as a safety thing. If you know what it feels like and how the bike changes in handling you have a better chance of getting out of a bad spot and going home in one piece.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode