Back to the past.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Back to the past....

A 1972 CB450 caught my eye on Craigslist so I went for it.
Around 1970 or so I owned a CL 450 and really had great
memories of it. I do have some work to do on my new/old
one. A fun project awaits. Sure makes me appreciate the
ride of the Versys! .....
https://tomedison.smugmug.com/New-Honda-CB450-1972

Ride while you can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I always liked the looks of the '65 CL77 Scrambler. Never rode one (PROBABLY never will...), but I've always had a 'hankering' to have one.

Have fun!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like it. What's with that seat, is it custom?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Custom. I have a new seat cover on the way and a pro upholster
to put it on. Lot's of replacement parts out there and a forum,
Honda Twins.

Ride while you can
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
love it makes me thing of my husbands first bike.. a 81 honda twinstart 200 that i made into a bobber... yours is a far better start.. his was a basket case when i got it .... Brad's Honda Twinstar Site

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nice Job! I imagine Brad is a Happy Man! I'm bring mine up to stock apperance.
Back in the day I made my CL450 a Californy style choper, extended, tubes,
high handle bars, bobbed fenders, etc. This one will kind of put it all back
together. That bobber looks like a blast!

Ride while you can
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great time machine. I love the classics from the 60s and 70s. One of my all time favorites was the 1972 Suzuki T500-J two stroke twin. I rode mine all over England and a good chunk of the US and it never missed a beat. Ring da-ding ding ding ding all day long. And when you grabbed a handful of throttle it howled - bwaaaaahh! Great fund and better memories.

But unless I'm mistaken your saddle has developed a goiter! Or maybe it's just an infected bee sting. In that case put some salt on it and it will go away.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 05-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Great time machine. I love the classics from the 60s and 70s. One of my all time favorites was the 1972 Suzuki T500-J two stroke twin. I rode mine all over England and a good chunk of the US and it never missed a beat. Ring da-ding ding ding ding all day long. And when you grabbed a handful of throttle it howled - bwaaaaahh! Great fund and better memories.

But unless I'm mistaken your saddle has developed a goiter! Or maybe it's just an infected bee sting. In that case put some salt on it and it will go away.
The first super bike was the Suzuki X6 Hustler. from the 60's 250cc two stroke 6 speed, and was super fast for the time. If I'm not mistaken it was the first bike with 6 speed, and the Suzuki 200cc X5 Invader,also a two stroke, was the first five speed.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedro tom View Post
A 1972 CB450 caught my eye on Craigslist so I went for it.
Around 1970 or so I owned a CL 450 and really had great
memories of it. I do have some work to do on my new/old
one. A fun project awaits. Sure makes me appreciate the
ride of the Versys! .....
https://tomedison.smugmug.com/New-Honda-CB450-1972
I like it. Seat not original, and both side covers are missing, but it looks good. If I were to buy an old bike it would be a red 1969 Honda CB350. I bought one new in 69 and loved it. Rode the crap out of it. It only new 2 speeds dead still, and wide open. Those were the days. I was young enough and dumb enough to enjoy them. would also like to have a Honda cub 50. That was my very first motorcycle.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedro tom View Post
Nice Job! I imagine Brad is a Happy Man! I'm bring mine up to stock apperance.
Back in the day I made my CL450 a Californy style choper, extended, tubes,
high handle bars, bobbed fenders, etc. This one will kind of put it all back
together. That bobber looks like a blast!
oh brads not my husband hes just the host/owner of the twinstar page lol..my husbands name is nick.can wait to see yours all done. the one i started with want even worth returning to stock... just to far gone from neglect . but as a bobber it sure is a blast and got him into riding, now he has a honda shadow vlx

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
I bought this Honda when it was 10 years old with 3000 miles on it. Paid a whopping $400 for it! Those were the days!

This is how it looked after I cleaned it up. No extra money put into this bike.

Sold it several years later for $800.
bwag1961 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
The first super bike was the Suzuki X6 Hustler. from the 60's 250cc two stroke 6 speed, and was super fast for the time. If I'm not mistaken it was the first bike with 6 speed, and the Suzuki 200cc X5 Invader,also a two stroke, was the first five speed.
It's been a long time but as I recall the T500 had a five speed gearbox. It was a hoot to ride - relatively wide power band, fast enough but not unmanageable, and it trailed a thin wisp of pale blue smoke marking its passage. Those days are long gone. Bought it in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, UK for 1200 Pounds Sterling. Those days are long gone too! I guess I'm a relic.

Oh yes, and I also owned a 1975 Norton Commando Interstate. Bought it in Germany and one summer rode it through Belgium, across southern England, then to the Isle of Man for the Manx Grand Prix, then back to Germany. It never skipped a beat which is more than can be said for the BMW and Goldwing that accompanied me. I thought that was amusing.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
It's been a long time but as I recall the T500 had a five speed gearbox. It was a hoot to ride - relatively wide power band, fast enough but not unmanageable, and it trailed a thin wisp of pale blue smoke marking its passage. Those days are long gone. Bought it in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, UK for 1200 Pounds Sterling. Those days are long gone too! I guess I'm a relic.

Oh yes, and I also owned a 1975 Norton Commando Interstate. Bought it in Germany and one summer rode it through Belgium, across southern England, then to the Isle of Man for the Manx Grand Prix, then back to Germany. It never skipped a beat which is more than can be said for the BMW and Goldwing that accompanied me. I thought that was amusing.
You are correct. The Suzuki T500 Cobra was a 5 speed. It was introduced in 1969. The Suzuki T200 X5 Invader 5 speed was introduced in 1967.
Even better, the Suzuki X 6 hustler 6 speed was introduced in 1965, and incorporated what was called POSI-FORCE lubrication (oil injection), which I believe was the first 2 cycle engine to have oil injection. All Suzuki 2 stroke cycles had POST FORCE lubrication from here forward. Suzuki was very much an innovator in the motorcycle industry.

I also owned a 1973 Norton commando 850 Very powerful bike for It's time. Best bike ever for burning rubber.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM

I'd love to get my hands on a BSA 441 Victor............I had a 69' for a couple of years. Interesting bike.

Last edited by Duffy; 05-09-2017 at 11:21 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'd live to get my hands on a BSA 441 Victor............I had a 69' for a couple of years. Interesting bike.
Ah yes!! BSA loved them. My best friends older brother had a BSA spitfire special. This was the bike of my dreams. After he rode it for about 2 years, he put it up for sale. Asking price $600. I tried to buy it from him, but he said it was more power than I could handle, and that I would probably kill myself on it,so he would not sell it to me. Yea he was probably right. I only weighed 88 pounds at the time.
Wound up buying an allstate 250 from Sears, which was a rebranded Puch250 made in Germany. It was 2 stroke, twin cylinder, with only one connecting rod. They called it a twingle. Sears had a shippment of them at the port in New Orleans La. Deciding to no longer carry them in their store, that put them on sale for $100, and you pick it up at the dock in NO. They normally sold for $600. My dad bought 2 of them. 1 red and 1 black. Our neighbor also bought a red one. he still has his. been sitting in his shed since 1970. here is a link on the bike https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...F&action=click

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 05-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM

I also owned A Montgomery Wards riverside, which was a rebranded Benelli 360. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
'Zuki X6 Hustler

Back around 1968, my older brother, who had an X6, was offered a job in Ottawa (we lived in Edmonton, AB at the time), and so he rode his Hustler the 2,400 miles to his new job, in the WINTER (as I recall... I was in RCAF pilot-training at that time)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Back around 1968, my older brother, who had an X6, was offered a job in Ottawa (we lived in Edmonton, AB at the time), and so he rode his Hustler the 2,400 miles to his new job, in the WINTER (as I recall... I was in RCAF pilot-training at that time)!
Your brother was a lucky man to have owned an X6 Hustler. Back in 1969 I had a Honda cb350. A friend had the 250 X6 hustler. He could beat me through the quarter mile, and on top end. The X6 produced 29 HP and cb350 produced 36HP. The X6 was a 2 stroke and produced maximum power a lot quicker than the cb which was a 4 stroke.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'd love to get my hands on a BSA 441 Victor............I had a 69' for a couple of years. Interesting bike.
A friend had one in 1969, and dared me to try and start it. I'd kicked over some old HD's, having been taught how to control the spark and retard, so I figured whats the BFD. If I recall, you could release the compression with a metal prod. While he held it, I tried to kick it, and got most of the first time, but on the second kick, I went over the bars. Everyone was laughing their asses off. More my reaction to the kickback than it actually throwing me.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)

Last edited by rayj; 05-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
A friend had one in 1969, and dared me to try and start it. I'd kicked over some old HD's, having been taught how to control the spark and retard, so I figured whats the BFD. If I recall, you could release the compression with a metal prod. While he held it, I tried to kick it, and got most of the first time, but on the second kick, I went over the bars. Everyone was laughing their asses off. More my reaction to the kickback than it actually throwing me.
When I'd go to a party or something I would always get asked if someone could ride it. I'd hand them the key and say "if you can get it started you can ride it". No-one ever managed to get it fired up. When I'd go to leave it usually only took one kick to get her going.

I had an 850 Norton that was just as difficult to fire up.

Last edited by Duffy; 05-10-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode