Rode a Triumph Tiger today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rode a Triumph Tiger today

2010 SE model. I was amazed at how smooth three cylinders can be. Wow, what a nice ride, and as fast as it was, it didn't feel too big or too powerful. The demo model I rode had a beautiful Arrow exhaust on it with a really mellow but noticeable tune. Verdict? The Tiger is exactly what a 1050cc three-cylinder Versys would be like! Awesome bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGreenie View Post
2010 SE model. I was amazed at how smooth three cylinders can be. Wow, what a nice ride, and as fast as it was, it didn't feel too big or too powerful. The demo model I rode had a beautiful Arrow exhaust on it with a really mellow but noticeable tune. Verdict? The Tiger is exactly what a 1050cc three-cylinder Versys would be like! Awesome bike!
Another forum member once commented that the Tiger 1050 is what the Versys wants to be when it grows up. I wish I could remember who it was, and I agree completely. If it hadn't been too much bike and too much green, I'd probably be riding one right now. Unless I'd succumbed to the siren song of the Street Triple R first.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 02:09 AM

I like the Tiger too. I'll have to be satisfied with my Versys for awhile though.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Too bad this one is yellow - otherwise pretty good deal?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/2106644972.html
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Considering the extras and work the owner had done, yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. To be sure, though, Triumphs seem to depreciate pretty fast compared to a lot of other models. I could be wrong about that, but it feels that way. If he didn't have the extras on it, I'd wait a bit.

Also - just so you know - adventure bikes seem to be a lot more popular in the Pac-NW than down in TX. You might find a better deal out of state in a place where they don't sell as well.

I've considered maybe selling the V and my Scooter (Blur ss220i - most fun you can have with a CVT) and getting a Tiger in a year or two. We'll see. I'm fickle about my toys.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM

A Tiger is a Versys with 1 extra cylinder and an extra zero on the price tag

Everyone Dies, Not Everyone Lives.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjr.Rage View Post
A Tiger is a Versys with 1 extra cylinder and an extra zero on the price tag

And a lot more hp....

Oh, and a MUCH prettier face....

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 AM

Tiger 800

Y'all do know that the 2011 Tiger is all new with a bigger (105 hp ) engine
and better frame and at only 440lb curb wt. and more then a passing resemblance to BMW's F800GS SHOULD WAY OUTPERFORM THE BEEMER.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

But it's butt ugly....

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL BREEZE View Post
Y'all do know that the 2011 Tiger is all new with a bigger (105 hp ) engine
and better frame and at only 440lb curb wt. and more then a passing resemblance to BMW's F800GS SHOULD WAY OUTPERFORM THE BEEMER.
the 2011 Tiger is the same as the 2010 Tiger. the 800 is not a replacement for the 1050. and trust me, they know; there are 42 threads about the little Tiger.

the 1050 is more like a versys than the 800 (as far as designed intent goes), so that's what the discussion is about.

still, i'd take an 800.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM

They are nice bikes, just far over priced in my opinion.
And if you need a dealer for parts, warraty work, and such, they are hard to find. At least here they are.
We had a Triumph dealer just an hour away for years, but its gone now.
So its 5 plus hours to the nearest dealer.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM

I rode this '10 last year, loved it. I'd say if I owned one, I'd have a few tickets, and my gas mileage would suck. But it is quick, and it feels alot like the Versys.

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 12-14-2010 at 07:22 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM

I test rode the one from Craigslist last night (2007 with lots of extras) and it was... nice... but not really that much different from my 14t front sprocket Versys in acceleration.

Just felt a whole lot heavier for no real reason.

Bah - I'm totally POSIONED by my passion for the Ducati Multistrada 1200. I simply will keep running my V to the ground until I can get one
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 AM

The transfer from my V to the Tiger was effortless. Got on started her up and off we went.Tiger is definitely just a liter V.

Fuel economy is pretty damn good, I'm a 'spirited' rider and at 290lbs without gear,not the lightest of riders, it gives proper mileage average 220-230 miles per tank (20 Litres).

Only thing is I seriously struggle to keep it within (recommended) speeds.
This thing just want's to get up and go

Cheers H
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM

I considered a new 2010 Tiger SE before buying a 2009 V. In spite of loving the Tiger's rather fantastic engine...I had two significant concerns:

1. Much higher initial purchase price and rapid depreciation
2. Sparse dealer network

IMO, reasonable availability of dealer support is an especially important consideration in the selection of a long-distance touring bike.

I'm quite happy with my decision to go with the Versys instead of the Tiger. On balance, if I was limited to owning only one motorcycle...I'd be riding the Tiger.

Last edited by CharlestonADV; 12-19-2010 at 11:45 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
Triumphs seem to depreciate pretty fast compared to a lot of other models. I could be wrong about that, but it feels that way.
I don't believe you are wrong about that at all. I have some long-winded theories about why Triumphs depreciate, but I'll spare you. But it is true... and that's why I've bought two one-year-old Triumphs. Virtually good as new but lots cheaper.

That depreciation is a negative if you buy new, a real benefit if you buy lightly used.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 PM

I'd love to hear your theories. The Triumph story is pretty interesting - quite a corporate history, and yet...fast depreciation, not-Kawasaki build quality, stretched US dealer network?

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 AM

Came from a tiger1050 to the v.

great bike, best fit for me i've ever had. very similar feel to the ride of the versys, but i kept looking down at triple digits. The tiger is just built to go fast IMO. a speed triple with comfort. My other problem was i kept finding the front wheel coming off the ground. Basically stock with a pipe and it was very powerful. And more comfortable than even my versys for a big guy, i never needed to change the stock seat.

I would dispute the "extra zero" comment. i got my tiger for about 10k, about twice what the v cost. rode it for a couple years and sold it for 7500 cash, so i would also dispute the depreciation based on my experience.

Tiger is a solid bike and worthy if you want to do more 2 up, or feel the need for speed, but want a bike very similar to the versys.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil View Post
i got my tiger for about 10k, about twice what the v cost. rode it for a couple years and sold it for 7500 cash, so i would also dispute the depreciation based on my experience.
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. 25% in two years strikes me as a relatively high depreciation factor. I suppose there might be other factors in play as well.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I'd love to hear your theories. The Triumph story is pretty interesting - quite a corporate history, and yet...fast depreciation, not-Kawasaki build quality, stretched US dealer network?
Triumph's story is a great success story, no doubt.

My theory (executive summary version) has mainly to do with the nature of the "typical" (and yes, I know I'm generalizing) buyer at various price points. To start, Triumph doesn't sell any cheap beginner bikes. They cost significant money. Except for people who have a lot of money, those willing to spend a lot for a motorcycle, thus a new or barely used one, are usually more motivated, more informed. People who read magazines, websites, forums, really into it. The farther downstream you move, the more you get less informed, more casual buyers. Now I know there are exceptions, many hard-core riders who buy rat bikes cause they're cheap or that's what they love, but I'm talking in general.

Those less informed used-bike buyers shy away from Triumphs because they don't know them. They know Harleys, or they know Hondas, other Jap bikes. They may never have SEEN a Triumph dealer. Triumphs get crossed off the list for lack of familiarity and thus comfort level.

This is based on experience with friends trying to sell used Triumphs, often at killer prices, and the feedback they've gotten.

More to it than that, but I think that many guys buying a $2,000 bike or a $2,500 bike are going to shy away. Just theory.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode