ROKON: For off-road - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ROKON: For off-road @ Bolens Hus-Ski

It's a 2 wheel drive bike. Hard-core off-roading!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...&vq=large#t=11

ED. the mud bog race looks like the bystanders were having more fun than the rider...or, maybe not?

Runs not bad in the water either.
The front wheel is geared so it turns faster than the rear otherwise it would dump you off in the turns.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 11-06-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM

That's just too cool.

Donn
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Be sure and check out all the clips.
There is also a forum here...http://forums.delphiforums.com/rokon/messages...no registration required!

You may like to check out the government version here...http://forums.delphiforums.com/rokon...es?msg=13495.1...tax dollars well spent!? Be sure and click the pic!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 11-04-2010 at 08:05 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Her ya' are......."Rokon Heaven"........ http://www.rokon.com/

Now for the price of a Versys, you too can have the ultimate Adventure Bike! Why go through all the pesky conversions to your upright detuned Ninja?... Ready made, Ready to go!

No need for jerry cans on this bike, just fill up the wheels, or... leave 'em empty and you can FLOAT this machine across rivers and streams.

Traverse almost any terrain like a Jeep Krawler. Pretty Kewl!

Just one thing, though, the interstates are a bitch

All jokes aside, these things ARE pretty cool, just not fast...or even close to fast...actually glacial would be the right word...... but fun.

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Looking at it, the Rokon's a tough all 2 wheeler vehicle.
Thanks for sharing, Ron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokon_motorcycle

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
A guy I new was a dealer for these....they are very cool...will go almost anywhere. Not built for speed though.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:21 PM

I'd have to be at least 30 years younger!

Sure looks like fun for the supple however.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinkin' the Trail Breaker would have gone the same direction of this old Bolens(HUS-SKI) machine if there wasn't any demand for it..this thing could break ones kneecaps or more in very short order going over a snowbank for example. (of all things)

If it was still manufactured today the lawsuits......well I guess thats why it's not manufactured today. Aside from it not being much"fun" to ride!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 11-06-2010 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Rub

Great thread. I had a Rokon a number of years ago. It was an old beast and I spent more time trying to keep it running than actually riding it. It had a 125cc Chrysler two stroke. Riding it was not pleasant. It could go lots of places but it was all work.

As a kid my Dad sold Bolens stuff. We used to have a Diablo Rouge which was a 'modern' version of the Hus-Ski. It was slow and cumbersome but put a bunch of kids on that long seat and it was miles and miles of smiles

Rub
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure of the Diablo version but an old pal of mine picked up his
Hus-Ski off an older-timer in Ontario, who I would have to assume was in the process of cleaning out the garage. Although it needed some minor work, buddy snapped up this piece of history at a "good" price...not sure what it was, but...he did a little work, gave it a coat of yellow paint with some black accents...added a couple of "wooden" slats(the proper word escapes me), on the tracks and had the seat re-done with the red vinyl and the thing looked like a million bucks.

It ran best on flat straight, ground. It really looked like a lot of work turning and climbing snowbanks. Not sure how well it performed in deep powder, I would think with it's weight, probably, not well.

And if you forgot, and slid forward on the seat before climbing the snowbank you may have been knee-capped.

A real "hoot" other than that!

Of course, it spent most of it's time in the garage. My friend usually never let go of any of his toys. This beast was an exception!

While I've never had the pleasure of experiencing a "Trail-Breaker" in real life, I think one would have to be very "commited" to riding and repairing the thing, and be in the position geographically to actually put it to use regularly enough to warrant keeping one.

There are just so many more "sensible" options out there nowadays.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Her ya' are......."Rokon Heaven"........ http://www.rokon.com/

Now for the price of a Versys, you too can have the ultimate Adventure Bike! Why go through all the pesky conversions to your upright detuned Ninja?... Ready made, Ready to go!

No need for jerry cans on this bike, just fill up the wheels, or... leave 'em empty and you can FLOAT this machine across rivers and streams.

Traverse almost any terrain like a Jeep Krawler. Pretty Kewl!

Just one thing, though, the interstates are a bitch

All jokes aside, these things ARE pretty cool, just not fast...or even close to fast...actually glacial would be the right word...... but fun.

V-Zee
You are so right V-zee, you certainly do have a flair for words!
GLACIAL

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I've got an older Rokon and it's certainly an interesting machine. It's really fun in deep snow or mud. Don't ride it to much anymore but it's fun to get on once in a while.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
You are so right V-zee, you certainly do have a flair for words!
GLACIAL
Cool stuff, Gramps, I'm glad you brought this to light, it's worthy! I rode one on terrain out here in CO where you couldn't take a lockered jeep, but like you said there's little use to keep one if you weren't located where you could use it. They're like billy goats and a blast. Proves you don't need speed to have fun ALL the time.

V-Zee

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
thanks for sharing.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE...

"No need for jerry cans on this bike, just fill up the wheels, or... leave 'em empty and you can FLOAT this machine across rivers and streams...."
V-Zee[/QUOTE]

While I'm in no position to correct the great VeeZee but my understanding from an add or brochure I've read is that gasoline is lighter than water and actually helps it stay afloat.

I do think though that it may be just a sales ploy as the gas would be inside the rubber therefore only adding to the overall weight. Making Vee -Zee right again afterall!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Gramps,

I suppose I WAS only "accidentally" correct about floatation (that could be indicative of genius, eh?). It could be that the buoyancy of gasoline "may" offset the weight of the tires and result in no change to flotation either way. I'm pretty sure specific gravity isn't picky about whether it's inside a container or in direct contact with other liquids. But, I could be wrong on that. Naah!

It is humbling (sort of) that you recognize my self-evident greatness. My grandkids refer to me as "El Supremo". I suppose you could do the same, if you like, but I'm no stickler about such formalities.

This proves I can be progressively more playfully irritating if challenged.

Too Much!! Ha Ha!

V-Zee

Thanks for providing the Canadian Vet counts. Be sure that I for one will remember them and keep their families in my prayers on Thursday, November 11th.

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 11-08-2010 at 03:51 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for straightening me out Vee-Zee. lol. Photobucket is down right now so I can't add a fancy smiley but know that I do have one for such an occasion as this.

Thanks for noticing the stats, it was a real shock when I saw those myself, so much sacrifice by so many!
I'll change my sig. back to something silly after the 11th. though I know I will never forget their sacrifices. It was my hope that others may be more aware as I too was not aware of the actual numbers... just staggering!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Gramps,

You sound like a Vet. If not, so much the better and significant. Too few regular citizens understand or acknowledge the selfless sacrifices made by our military. That's not meant to be a negative, nor condescending, but until one serves, most of what happens goes unnoticed. It's actually meant to be that way. Unspoken, silent guardians of the innocent.

Sleep well, free nations of the world.

For Canadians, Americans, Australians and many more, it makes no difference. We are all in this together. I'm thankful for Veterans all over the world.

Now back to the silliness, eh?

V-Zee

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I too am thankful for the freedoms we have around the world due in very large part to the sacrifices of so very many men and women, not only the vets themselves but their families also. From a very many countries.

I am certainly no vet, but as a youngster was an army cadet. We were sponsored by our local Legion. I took up playing the trumpet at the age of 8 so I played in the corps. band. Was honored on a number of occasions to be chosen to play the last post and reveille at the Remembrance Day Services. Always a moving experience. Beautiful/ tragic tunes. I would "get into" the music. That in part may be a reason why I will never forget. Aside from the obvious.

As a people I truly believe none of us want war, but when a greedy or power hungry government on a conquest takes unprovoked actions against innocent people and countries....well...."there comes a time" when the rest of the free world can stand back no longer. Understanding of course the plight of "that" Country's citizens that are caught up in it also...not a good thing for "people" on any side!

Why can't we all just get along?

It's been said many times before...."NEVER AGAIN"!..."NEVER AGAIN"!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Very cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode