New Tiger 800 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Tiger 800

I just got this on email from a new forum. Probably better pictures out there, just the first one I have seen. Looks good!

a prototype photo: The XC dirt version:

and here is a link to Triumph's "teaser" vid:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...umph-2011-vid/

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 10-13-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Wonder if the U.S. will get this one, it's not on the line up yet.

The forum is UK, so it's soon to be released there. Here is the info:

"This site is devoted to the forthcoming Tiger 800 that's soon to be released by Triumph !

The site aims to be a resource where owners can discuss issues with others in the 'Forum', take a look at owners bikes in the 'Gallery' and generally find out more about the new "Tiger"

We also have Gallery section, technical information, articles, and members will also be able to create their own "Blogs" (coming soon).

Although based in the UK the site welcomes members from Europe and beyond - a truly international site"
http://www.tiger800.co.uk

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM

''Look mom, there is a bike out of the window that looks like F800GS which wanna looks like R1200GS!!!!''

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM

I think Kawi should come out with the Versys XC, would be a great alternative to the $11k BMW and new Triumph Tiger 800. They got the motor and the chassis, just put some longer forks and rear suspension, knobby tires, and the skid plate. They can even use the same body panels from the V to save on $$$.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by After View Post
''Look mom, there is a bike out of the window that looks like F800GS which wanna looks like R1200GS, but gets where it's going without airmailed parts!!!!''
fify.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Wonder if the U.S. will get this one, it's not on the line up yet.
afaik, we've gotten everything new triumph has ever made and they do well here. it's coming. they don't have to predict huge volumes of sales to justify importation like the Japanese marques do. the just need to come up the right price/volume combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by After View Post
''Look mom, there is a bike out of the window that looks like F800GS which wanna looks like R1200GS, but gets where it's going without airmailed parts!!!!''
fify.

ring me up, Geoffery!

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 10-14-2010 at 12:22 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Looks like they are using a "triple" series engine as I see 3 exhaust tubes. I might have to consider this one if it comes over here and doesn't break the bank. One thing I can say is our local Triumph dealership has the best family owned personel and I would buy from them just for that fact. No attitudes just down to earth true mom and pop.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 AM

Please send to the US. I have the R1150gs which I dearly do love but hate having the closest dealer 250 miles away. The Versys is nice for my 16 year old son but would like to have a bit larger for myself.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM

I salute making two versions of it; one for “dual sport” and one more off road orientated.
Other manufacturers should consider this. Put bigger front wheel, strengthen a few components, dial in the motor and you have two bikes on the market.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settersonly View Post
Looks like they are using a "triple" series engine as I see 3 exhaust tubes. I might have to consider this one if it comes over here and doesn't break the bank. One thing I can say is our local Triumph dealership has the best family owned personel and I would buy from them just for that fact. No attitudes just down to earth true mom and pop.
No looks about it
its a rebored / lengthened variant on the 675 Daytona engine, tuned for less PS/HP and more torque. capcity is 800, mind ytou you could guess that from the name ) theres a bit of fevered sepeculation as to what actually is the package.

if you want to see the speculation go visit that site or others, after all this new model has been touted around since spring this year as a genuine model, and for the last 3..5 years as an air model (its coming next spring / summer / autumn / whenever).
The XC version has 21" wire wheels, uprated forks, the road version 19" alloys, but apart from that they two versions are virtually identical. theres lack of information on colours, pricing and availability some say black, white and red, some say black, sparkly green and sparkly orange (sort of similar to classic Versys "Burnt Candy Orange" but a bit paler).

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer say 3 colours on both versision, with perhaps one or two common colours. I could see the sparkly colours being hte road bike and the flatter colours being the XC variant.

Price who knows: £7K for the road variant with an ABS option at 500 notes extra, 600 notes extra for the XC variant. perhaps bext to wait the remainign 17..20 days or so till its formally launched
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if I'm diggin' that bike. I think the current 1050 is far better looking. Yes, I know off road blah blah blah...

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 PM

I don't know why anybody would buy an 800cc version of a bike when they make a 1000cc version. Unless it is 100 pounds lighter and many thousands cheaper, why bother. Lets face it, the only reason 800cc came to light is that the Moto GP went to 800cc. Now they are going back to 1000cc because of the peaky nature of the motor. If you want peaky, go 600cc. Either get a 650cc Versys or a 1050cc Tiger. Two of the same bikes with different power. (I test rode the Tiger 1050, it is FANTASTIC!). All this, IMHO of course.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:20 PM

Wow, that thing looks bad ass way better than the BMW.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Lets face it, the only reason 800cc came to light is that the Moto GP went to 800cc.
that's quite the stretch. let's see....
BMW had the 800 twin on the streets in 2006. iirc, Nicky was champ on the 990 that year.
vfr800 dates back to '98.
tdm800 to, what, '92?
r80gs...1980?
nevermind all the 800cc Bonnies Triumph has had out recently.
Ducati has had air-cooled 800s on the street as well.

besides, you'd have to be one helluva marketeer to connect a d-s-ish bike to GP machinery.... especially when you don't build any GP machinery.

GP bikes are peaky because they are 800cc fours that make 240hp. motors get "peaky" when the bore/stroke ratio gets really high, as is required to reach 18k rpm or whatever level of the stratosphere GP bikes reach. bore/stroke ratio on the triumph 800 will not be that high, since they are not able to bore it out that much (if at all). the displacement increase is due to stroke, which will lower the ratio, increasing torque. the bike will have a broader powerband than the donor 675.

an 800cc triple making ~100 Hp will have a nice broad powerband, like a versys but with more meat. i say this based on 40kmi on my vfr, which had a nice powerband. that bike had a bore/stroke ratio of 1.50. based on some quick calculations, the 800 triple will be similar. if the stroke stays exactly the same as it is in the 675 and they punched it out from 74 to 80mm (which would be a huge change), the ratio would only be 1.53 (788cc). that's not too far out there. but as i said, they will stroke it (they are not idiots) and the ratio will be ~1.4. you can quote me.

for reference, versys bore/stroke = 1.38.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 10-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM

The new FZ8 is a sleeved 1000. Why bother?
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Mostly marketing. Seems there are many people (witness the threads on this very forum discussing the subject) that want more than a 600 but less than 1000+. Add tiered insurance in some markets, and the fact that it probably ended up being easier for Yamaha to sleeve a 1000 than expand the 600 or build a new engine, and the solution kind of presents itself.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
the problem with sleeving down, i think, is that you still have the mass of the literbike, and most of the price. suzuki does the opposite with the gixser, punching out the 600 to build the 750. different result, makes more sense.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM

The new Tiger 800 looks quite interesting. Appears to be an excellent alternative for those who want a Multistrada 1200 or BMW GS, but can't afford one. I wonder if the Tiger 1050 will stick around now? If Triumph can keep the pricing below $9,000 I'm sure it will do well, but based upon the price of the Street Triple R, I'd say the Tiger 800 will break the $10,00 mark.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
The new Tiger 800 looks quite interesting. Appears to be an excellent alternative for those who want a Multistrada 1200 or BMW GS, but can't afford one. I wonder if the Tiger 1050 will stick around now? If Triumph can keep the pricing below $9,000 I'm sure it will do well, but based upon the price of the Street Triple R, I'd say the Tiger 800 will break the $10,00 mark.
my understanding is that the 1050 triple is going to become 1200 across the range. I think the current Tiger will remain in the model range as a road bike in its current guise, who knows mebbe there will be a 1200 XC
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM

I've had 3 tigers, a 885 and two 955i's, and out of all the bikes that I've owned the triples have to be the coolest motors.

For me Triumph went the wrong way with the 1050 ( to much stree), but I realize that I am just a very small blip on the radar. If they do in fact come to the states with an 800cc more dirt capable Tiger, I for one will find a way to fund the purchase.

For me I would love a bike that is capable of running up and down dirt roads without weighing a metric ton, but yet can handle the open road in comfort. Of course it has to somehow be reasonable on cost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode