Yamaha Tenere 700 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha Tenere 700

MO Espionage: Yamaha FZ-07 Ténéré Spy Shots

they've finally pulled their heads out of their collective arses and cobbled together my dream bike. probably in reaction to all the hype that built during Hondas drawn out intro of the AT. whatever, better late than never. it should weigh less than the AT and still be stout enough to travel 2up. looking forward to the end result...
invader likes this.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My FZ-07 is a sweet bike. Love the 270 degree crank.

My Versys Travels:

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Why did they copy the butt ugly styling of the KTM 990? Even KTM has moved on.
binderline likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 AM

Garage
I am starting to wonder if it is just someone's special build on an MT-07. Seems like we know a guy who does that to Versys/Ninja/ER6N bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post

they've finally pulled their heads out of their collective arses and cobbled together my dream bike.
So why don't Kawa do the same?????
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Why did they copy the butt ugly styling of the KTM 990? Even KTM has moved on.
pretty sure that test mule has no style. they can dial in the mechanicals without putting much effort into fairings.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM

Garage
Yamaha already has a Tenere 660

2015 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré | motorcycle review @ Top Speed

Looks pretty close to the test mule. Maybe they are just trying it out with the new FZ-07 engine.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Yamaha already has a Tenere 660

2015 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré | motorcycle review @ Top Speed

Looks pretty close to the test mule. Maybe they are just trying it out with the new FZ-07 engine.
This bike is replacing the old XT660Z. No way in hell the 660 will meet Euro IV; they needed a whole new engine, and they went with the p-twin from the FZ/MT 07. The XT660R/X/Z are very old, the family debuted back in 2004, and the engine is heavily based on the aircooled XT600, it's an archaic design. Most important market for these bikes is Europe, Euro IV compliance is a pretty big deal, not to mention, ABS. The current XT660Z does have ABS, but it's a poorly integrated retrofit, the bike was never designed to have ABS.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 04-15-2016 at 05:21 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:49 PM

I'd ride one in a heart beat...if the fz-07 had been available when I got the Versys..it would be in my garage instead...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I'd ride one in a heart beat...if the fz-07 had been available when I got the Versys..it would be in my garage instead...
Same here....if they sold the 660 in the US I would have likely bought it over the versys.

If this new yammy does show up next year, the time I am going to be in the market, I will look.....

Heck with the earthquake in Japan it looks like the AT might not get here till next year as well.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:40 PM

This is Yamaha's competitor to the Versys:

Yamaha Tracer 700 Unveiled

Honestly I do like the Tracer 700, 433lbs vs 496lbs of the Versys, it's a shame that it carries 3 liters less of fuel, but it's more fuel efficient so it might no be that bad.

The Tenere will be a real, off road capable, adventure bike.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 04-20-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
This is Yamaha's competitor to the Versys:

Yamaha Tracer 700 Unveiled

Honestly I do like the Tracer 700, 433lbs vs 496lbs of the Versys, it's a shame that it carries 3 liters less of fuel, but it's more fuel efficient so it might no be that bad.

The Tenere will be a real, off road capable, adventure bike.
All adventure bikes are off road capable - it is just a matter of how off road capable.

Adventure bikes are all about compromises - some are more dirt oriented, some are more street oriented. There is not a bike available that is excellent at both.

That being said - it is refreshing to see that a Japanese manufacturer came out with an adventure bike that should be good in the dirt. It seems like most of the new adventure bikes have been more street oriented lately.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM

Garage
The spec. of 496lb for the Versys seems a bit heavy. I would suspect weights would be similar between the Tracer and Versys. Looks like they saved a few dollars by speccing the Tracer a bit lower than the Versys. For instance it does not have as sophisticated a front suspension.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
All adventure bikes are off road capable - it is just a matter of how off road capable.

Adventure bikes are all about compromises - some are more dirt oriented, some are more street oriented. There is not a bike available that is excellent at both.

That being said - it is refreshing to see that a Japanese manufacturer came out with an adventure bike that should be good in the dirt. It seems like most of the new adventure bikes have been more street oriented lately.
People have ridden Harleys around the world. It is not how off road capable the bike it. It is how off road capable the rider is, and how fast they want to ride off road.
HAWKSHOT99 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The spec. of 496lb for the Versys seems a bit heavy. I would suspect weights would be similar between the Tracer and Versys. Looks like they saved a few dollars by speccing the Tracer a bit lower than the Versys. For instance it does not have as sophisticated a front suspension.
I can think of a great many adjectives to describe the Versys suspension....sophisticated is not one of them.
ronheater70 likes this.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
i can think of a great many adjectives to describe the versys suspension....sophisticated is not one of them.

amen!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Heck with the earthquake in Japan it looks like the AT might not get here till next year as well.
Really? You don't have them yet? I saw 3 of them at Gingers Creek yesterday

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Really? You don't have them yet? I saw 3 of them at Gingers Creek yesterday

Nope....I guess Honda figures the US is so small of a market we get them last.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nope....I guess Honda figures the US is so small of a market we get them last.
Yeah Oz is such a huge motorcycle market, we probably sell (in the whole country) as many as you sell in Florida or Cali.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:02 AM

Garage
Over on the FZ-07 forum, they are discussing all the bikes that could be made from the 07 platform. They also are wondering why Yamaha doesn't offer all the variants in the US. With a 700 tenere, there would be four potential variants of the FZ-07.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode