Anyone come from a DRZ or similar bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone come from a DRZ or similar bike?

Anyone come from a DRZ or similar bike to the Versys? I sold my DRZ 400S to buy the Versys.

I wish I could've kept both...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Anyone come from a DRZ or similar bike to the Versys? I sold my DRZ 400S to buy the Versys.

I am living the dream my friend.... I have the new Versys and I still have my 2006 DR-Z400 SM. The SM is setup with a full system Yosh RS-3, JD Jet kit, Air box mod, Corbin seat and some other minor stuff. I love that bike, but the Versys is MUCH better for commuting to work.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Hey Bear,

I know the felling. Sold my KLR650 for the Versys. Which I could have kept both, but the price of plates and insurance for 2 bikes is too much and I can't ride the 2 bikes at the same time!!!

Same as DanPorges, I wanted a better ride for the commute which is every day morning and night

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Versys is far more comfy than the DRZ. I imagine its more comfy that the KLR as well.

I know what you're saying about the cost of owning two bikes. I tried to squeeze the Versys in the budget without selling the DRZ, but it would've put us a little too tight. I sold the DRZ to put a chunk down on the V & the insurance only went up a little. Wife is happy with the budget & I got my new ride.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM

I have a dr-650 that I converted to a supermoto 6 years ago. Great & fun bike, but I have hardley ridden it since getting my new versys. The versys does everything the dr did (almost) and more comfortably. I sold my sv-1000 to buy the versys and I'm glad I did, the versys is much more fun to flog. I do wish it had about 30 more horses though, my sv had 115 at the rear wheel.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider View Post
I have a dr-650 that I converted to a supermoto 6 years ago. Great & fun bike, but I have hardley ridden it since getting my new versys. The versys does everything the dr did (almost) and more comfortably. I sold my sv-1000 to buy the versys and I'm glad I did, the versys is much more fun to flog. I do wish it had about 30 more horses though, my sv had 115 at the rear wheel.

I agree, it would be nice to have a few more ponies. I'm really surprised there aren't many (if any) performance mods/parts out there. The Ninja 650/ER-6 has been around for a while. I guess most of those owners are content with the power...

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

Hey Bear... i unloaded a KTM 625 SMC in favor of the Versys.
Almost as much fun as the Supermoto with none of the detached
retinas and bruised kidneys.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 AM

Hi Bear
I also sold my DRZ (I had the KLX from Kawi, same bike) to buy the Versys....was trying to keep both but just didn't use it enough. I realized that I spent most of my time riding the roads and less in the dirt, the DRZ's seat kept making my willy go numb on long stretches.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Hi Bear
I also sold my DRZ (I had the KLX from Kawi, same bike) to buy the Versys....was trying to keep both but just didn't use it enough. I realized that I spent most of my time riding the roads and less in the dirt, the DRZ's seat kept making my willy go numb on long stretches.

Of course, nobody likes a numb willy on long stretches!!

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM

I have the Versys for roads and light trails, but have a KLR for dirty stuff!

2008 Versys, 2008 Ninja 650R, Red ones
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM

i sold my 03' r1150rt bmw, to get the versys, wanted something capable of touring on but still lightweight, the RT was fun, but heavy and awkward when i rode on gravel roads.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Looks like you might have traded down as far as comfort goes. How do the two compare, besides what you've already mentioned?

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM

the leg room is about the same, no real noticeable difference for me i'm 6'2" 190 lbs the RT seat is larger but i found it hard after a few hours of riding, the biggest issue with the RT for me were the handlebars, too narrow causing a bad cramp in my neck, where as the versus bars are wider, feels more natural, also i can more easily swap them for other 7/8 diam bars if i want to, I felt very uneasy in gravel on the beemer, like the feel of the V in regards to riding in less than ideal road conditions
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM

I've 2 drz400 and 1 klx400 previously but still have an 99 XR600 customised Safari bike. The dirt is my biggest love but the Versys just totally blind sided me and SO recaptured the essence of the Motorcycle riding drug for me!!!
After 10 or so fireblades of all years and XR drz and other 2 smoke combo's all brilliant too... i was type cast and of the opinion supersport was the only real road machine for me... man i've had to chew some humble pie since and am a reformed attitude to Kaasaki most of all.
What a tremendous motor and gearbox the 650 has yeah? Potential?!

I -even put **** on the very bike i now own... for 6 months while it sat on the showroom floor I walked past it and called it names.. " wad'ya good for eh? what are ya meant for.. weird bug eye thing!.. and you know what?? i'm now the sole Versys owner in my state.. why??
because people aren't riding them!! anyone who rides a 650 kawa F N versys will come back and say " Sheeet that was fun!!! How much torque has it got?!? and go and stop?? but its only a learner packagee!!

Never mind looking at all the reviews on HP stats, Pro rider, magazine blaa blaa that really sells the bikes for the dealers instead of the bike itself. My green machine is already the Nemesis of the brotherhood in standard trim... i still am having to get used to this green too. Here in Australia this was a good choice of colour for this Versys as it screams team green but it still burns my desire for Honda to do something serious with the 650 single in Ralley cross or hyper motard stunter even. ( versys project to be)..
Check this site out founded by my mates
www.cunningstunts.com
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:59 AM

I currently ride a DRZ-400 S converted to a sm but hope to get a Versys if they bring them to california. I hope to be able to keep both bikes and convert the S back to dirt full-time. Right now I can switch between dirt and street wheels in under a half hour. But I find my self riding it 90% of the time in sm mode. It get 45 mpg compared to my lifted jeep that does 14 mpg on a good day. And its so much fun to make the sportbike guys feel slow in the canyons. But I can do that on a Versys too and not get monkey-butt for ride over 20 miles at a time.

Brian
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The DRZ is a better turning bike than the Versys. Its lighter & more flickable. The Versys is way more comfortable, though. Having both would be great!!

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM

I came off of a BMW F650 GS and an '04 Gas Gas 450 Supermoto. I wish I could have kept the Supermoto but I do like the ability to run freeway speeds without worry.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM

what comparisons can you make betwwen the f650 and the Versys?
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Versys has alot more tourqe, smoother, more reliable, cheeper to maintain, I can go on, but won't. It was in my short list when I got the Versys. The F650 is a good looking bike though! The new twin may be alot better, myt referance is to the single.

2008 Versys, 2008 Ninja 650R, Red ones
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
I agree with hunting1, there's much more torque and the handling is so much better. I liked the BMW and it was a great tourer, I just wanted that supermoto feel much more. I like the 17" wheels with street rubber much more than the dirt/street tire combo on 19" wheels. I wanted this bike and was bummed when they said it wasn't coming to the states so I bought the BMW. My first words to the Kawi rep when I got off of the V at the Phoenix MC show were, "I'm so F*$#^$%G mad at Kawasaki right now".

As I've explained to people before, where the F650 is a good bike, the Versys is just that much better in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode