got a side by side got some questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

got a side by side got some questions

So my father and i picked up a 2009 kawasaki teryx Monster edition. The thing is a blast. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with them, or similar rides, but looking on insight as to what to look out for, what mods are necessary, and more specifically should it be so damn loud while riding. Im not talking exhaust, but just drivetrain / engine noise. I will post a video later this month when i go out for another ride. I won't be able to go to our land for a while as we are taking a family trip next weekend. Thanks for any tips, thoughts or advice.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
So my father and i picked up a 2009 kawasaki teryx Monster edition. The thing is a blast. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with them, or similar rides, but looking on insight as to what to look out for, what mods are necessary, and more specifically should it be so damn loud while riding. Im not talking exhaust, but just drivetrain / engine noise. I will post a video later this month when i go out for another ride. I won't be able to go to our land for a while as we are taking a family trip next weekend. Thanks for any tips, thoughts or advice.
Im not a TERX man, Im a Polaris Ranger/RZR man, so take what I say as general thoughts. Typically most CVT style machines are noisy. Those big rotating clutches doing their thing aren't very quiet. But it can be up to you if you think any noise is abnormal. Has it been ridden in the wet much, perhaps bearings need replaced, or maybe brakes are squeaking.. CV's etc all can be potential issues if it was regularly dunked in the mud as many of them are.

With Most CVT style machines, Worn belts / dirty clutches can drop performance AND make it run hot (clutch not engine). Doing a general checkout should be in order to make sure everything is clean. Make sure the clutch vent is unobstructed.
Clutch kits REALLY wake up CVT machines, and they are cheap. Dollar for dollar you will get significant more bang for the buck with clutch mods compared to exhaust, etc..

Check the Valves unless you got maintenance records with it and its not needed. Make sure Air filter seals good..

Again, those things often get ridden in wet muddy conditions.. Grease everything you can..

I know they are pretty reliable in general.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Im not a TERX man, Im a Polaris Ranger/RZR man, so take what I say as general thoughts. Typically most CVT style machines are noisy. Those big rotating clutches doing their thing aren't very quiet. But it can be up to you if you think any noise is abnormal. Has it been ridden in the wet much, perhaps bearings need replaced, or maybe brakes are squeaking.. CV's etc all can be potential issues if it was regularly dunked in the mud as many of them are.

With Most CVT style machines, Worn belts / dirty clutches can drop performance AND make it run hot (clutch not engine). Doing a general checkout should be in order to make sure everything is clean. Make sure the clutch vent is unobstructed.
Clutch kits REALLY wake up CVT machines, and they are cheap. Dollar for dollar you will get significant more bang for the buck with clutch mods compared to exhaust, etc..

Check the Valves unless you got maintenance records with it and its not needed. Make sure Air filter seals good..

Again, those things often get ridden in wet muddy conditions.. Grease everything you can..

I know they are pretty reliable in general.

Awesome Thanks. I will check the clutch out, but in the meantime i will just order an OEM belt as a spare. I will look into clutch mods. I am not trying to go fast or traverse rivers with it, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
We are currently looking for another machine. Suggestions? What is a fair price for a used polaris if you happen to know? I am just getting into sxs's and i know they are pricey, but so cool that two or four can ride comfy down the trails.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM

Garage
I got a service manual (CD) at bay for my FJR its been a big help......Kawasaki teryx Manual | eBay

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 04:44 PM

The Teryx has the engine right between the seats which make them noisy IMO. (all the ones with the engine between the seats seem noisy to me).
I'm hoping to get a side by side in the future. Very likely more of a sport SxS with the engine behind the seats.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode