S2 Concept Kawasaki W800 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Garage

Looks like a toy ... From the 70's

LOP
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 AM

Wow, I like that, very Scrambler'ish.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 PM

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 PM

one too many bends in that exhaust at the end..looks funky and not in a good way...too bad they never sold the 800 here in the states...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
one too many bends in that exhaust at the end..looks funky and not in a good way...too bad they never sold the 800 here in the states...
Exhaust design is a black art. They have the adjacent cylinder headers to heat the exhaust up like BMW F650 Rotax engines from Austria. Then the rest is to accumulate a theoretical tuning distance: I think 3' is the magic number from historical empirical evidence. So whether you see funky bends in headers or large labyrinth mufflers, most will in some way achieve the 3' requirement of tuned mufflers. I.e. - you don't want mufflers sticking out past the rear wheel, so... bends are cool.

The muffler, if it is SS, it one of the best features of this bike. I really like the enamel Kawasaki green paint job too. From the clunky bulky model this came from, this is a work of art imo. S2 Concept is the racers edge in design, at not too bad of a price for what you get.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-18-2016 at 12:12 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 AM

Garage
Reminds me of this guy:

In a good way.
chadams66 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
Reminds me of this guy:

In a good way.

You can still find some old bikes around if you get nostalgic or if your going through a hipster phase........PRICE REDUCED 1969 Honda CB350 For Sale - $2,700 - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You can still find some old bikes around if you get nostalgic or if your going through a hipster phase........PRICE REDUCED 1969 Honda CB350 For Sale - $2,700 - TWT Forums
I own a '74 CB360 already, almost never ride it because I need to do a whole bunch of engine/carb work on it and I lose motivation when the weather is nice and would rather ride the V.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I own a '74 CB360 already, almost never ride it because I need to do a whole bunch of engine/carb work on it and I lose motivation when the weather is nice and would rather ride the V.
Get you some side-scrambler exhaust pipes, and then you will enjoy getting blown all over the road on your 350cc by new efi cars!
It looks like a death-wish on the expressway or city streets either one. Good luck!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Get you some side-scrambler exhaust pipes, and then you will enjoy getting blown all over the road on your 350cc by new efi cars!
It looks like a death-wish on the expressway or city streets either one. Good luck!
my '81 Suzuki GS 450T ain't much bigger than that Honda..and it doesn't get blown all over the road...now the skinny tires are a lot of fun after 85mph..other than that..lots of fun on the freeway..or anyplace else...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	number3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	83978  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
my '81 Suzuki GS 450T ain't much bigger than that Honda..and it doesn't get blown all over the road...now the skinny tires are a lot of fun after 85mph..other than that..lots of fun on the freeway..or anyplace else...
30% more displacement makes a difference comparably. That's like the difference between your 450cc and 650cc, or his 350cc and 250cc. It would make a difference to me: riding underpowered motorcycles is dangerous to my health around today's fast cars on all sides of me.

Enjoy your bad 450cc and ride on Brother!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
The 360 is just fine on surface streets.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
30% more displacement makes a difference comparably. That's like the difference between your 450cc and 650cc, or his 350cc and 250cc. It would make a difference to me: riding underpowered motorcycles is dangerous to my health around today's fast cars on all sides of me.

Enjoy your bad 450cc and ride on Brother!
Only about 33# difference in the two bikes. Because, ya know, getting blown around is about weight not engine displacement.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Only about 33# difference in the two bikes. Because, ya know, getting blown around is about weight not engine displacement.
And PROBABLY more about weight distribution, C of G, etc.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 PM

Garage
Sucks that Kawasaki won't bring the w800 to the states.
chadams66 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Sucks that Kawasaki won't bring the w800 to the states.
yup..we need some modern day BSAs to compete with the modern day Triumphs...

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
riding underpowered motorcycles is dangerous to my health around today's fast cars on all sides of me.
Probably a fair amount of riders on much more powerful machines think the Versys is under powered, and unable to accelerate out of problem areas (compared to what they are used to) It's all relative to the riders experience. I have ridden the little Honda, although many years ago.. As I Recall it had absolutely zero issues keeping up with, or surpassing traffic.

I really like the look of the triumph Scramblers, especially dolled up, I wonder what their reliability is like.. Never really researched them.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Probably a fair amount of riders on much more powerful machines think the Versys is under powered, and unable to accelerate out of problem areas (compared to what they are used to) It's all relative to the riders experience. I have ridden the little Honda, although many years ago.. As I Recall it had absolutely zero issues keeping up with, or surpassing traffic.

I really like the look of the triumph Scramblers, especially dolled up, I wonder what their reliability is like.. Never really researched them.
FI car vehicles are faster today than "many years ago." The advantage the Vs. 650 has is midrange-torque to move when you turn the throttle (with good power/weight ratio). The sport bikes over 80mph are fast, but who cares? They require high rpm's, mph's, and you are hunched down on your gas tank or driving with one right arm stretched. Superbikes are more ergonomic, but they are still peaky (and heavy), and when you hit the driving range, you can do 100mph+ instantly. That can be dangerous, expensive, and kill your driving privileges (never separate from the pack for safety and attention.) That's why the Vs. 650 is perfect with only a couple of bikes in it's class (none really, but... just to be sure.)

Cruisers, crotch rockets, and super bikes sell well though (and better than the Vs. 650.) From riding the roads every day though, I think most are sitting at home. At least cars have a good example of a proficient and safe motorcycle driver (me)

Last edited by kawdog; 03-23-2016 at 08:24 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
FI car vehicles are faster today than "many years ago." The advantage the Vs. 650 has is midrange-torque to move when you turn the throttle (with good power/weight ratio). The sport bikes over 80mph are fast, but who cares? They require high rpm's, mph's, and you are hunched down on your gas tank or driving with one right arm stretched. Superbikes are more ergonomic, but they are still peaky (and heavy), and when you hit the driving range, you can do 100mph+ instantly. That can be dangerous, expensive, and kill your driving privileges (never separate from the pack for safety and attention.) That's why the Vs. 650 is perfect with only a couple of bikes in it's class (none really, but... just to be sure.)

Cruisers, crotch rockets, and super bikes sell well though (and better than the Vs. 650.) From riding the roads every day though, I think most are sitting at home. At least cars have a good example of a proficient and safe motorcycle driver (me)
There is no perfect bike, stop making that assertion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode