Test-rode a 2005 BMW R1200GS today... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test-rode a 2005 BMW R1200GS today...

...and boy what a slug! Sure, it's comfortable to sit on maybe, but the handling is like a wet sponge, and it feels twice as heavy and the engine feels weaker than the V. It's like it just gives up and dies around 7K RPM.

Just wanted to vent/share.

Out of all bikes I've ridden - only one bike has yet to feel better to me than the V - and that's the Ducati Multistrada 1200

Other (recent) bikes that got beat by the V in my book so far:
-------------------------------------------------------------
'10 Kawasaki Z1000
Ducati Hypermotard 791 & 1100
Suzuki V-strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting info! And just to be clear, you like the V better than the Ducati's?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Interesting info! And just to be clear, you like the V better than the Ducati's?
I like the V better than the Ducati Hypermotards - but the new Multistrada 1200 I really, really like. It has the V beat. But it's too damn expensive...!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 PM

That Duc is sweet! I had the itch to get one of those as soon as I read about it. Bad for me, as my wallet is not that thick. I wonder how it will hold up over the years.
If it did have a problem on the road, it might be hard to find a wrench that could figure it out. I like that the V is part of a bigger network (in the US)for that reason.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 PM

But KMW's are the best Martin

My Album:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
...and boy what a slug! Sure, it's comfortable to sit on maybe, but the handling is like a wet sponge, and it feels twice as heavy and the engine feels weaker than the V. It's like it just gives up and dies around 7K RPM.

Just wanted to vent/share.

Out of all bikes I've ridden - only one bike has yet to feel better to me than the V - and that's the Ducati Multistrada 1200
Talk about apples and oranges. Comparing a 'Strada and a GS is like comparing a CRF450 to a Goldwing.

The VFR guys also have issues with the GS, too!

WARNING!!! If anyone has tender sensibilities regarding profanity, do not hit the button. Send the kids out of the room in any case.

However, Martin, you are right about the 'Strada and if anyone here really thinks their V compares in any way to this bike.... they need to ride one!

Heh, Heh, the bikes a hoot! When you select the "Enduro" mode you get a fuel map that "only" gives you 100 HP, on 17 inch Pirelli Scorpion Trails, in the dirt, Right!!

I seem to have a mental block on Italian bikes dating back to the 60's regarding reliability. I'm sure those nightmares ceased many years ago...I hope so....as one of these, an S-Touring, will be coming home soon.

V-Zee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode