Z125 is on its way to the USA! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:12 PM

My takes on it, both at RevZilla and my site. I think it has the potential to be a modest improvement over the Grom for a little less money.

In addition to the items the Capn mentioned, I think the slightly shorter stroke of the engine, slighty higher compression and narrower wheels might make for slightly zippier performance. And the gauges are a definite improvement.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
...but Kawasaki will bring a few things I like better to the mix and already has me weighing my options....
Capn - this MEANS you're coming back MORE than part-time...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Capn - this MEANS you're coming back MORE than part-time...?
Good to hear from you Eddie,

I thought some others may be interested in the Z125. I can honestly say that whenever I let folks ride my Grom, they have a completely new appreciation for the fun factor of wringing out the little 125 around town..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 02:05 PM

Cool but... The Grom has the advantage of the aftermarket that was developed for the Honda Cub 50 clones; 185cc big bore + 4 valve head. The Z125 might have a slight advantage when stock, but with the Grom the sky is your limit.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Cool but... The Grom has the advantage of the aftermarket that was developed for the Honda Cub 50 clones; 185cc big bore + 4 valve head. The Z125 might have a slight advantage when stock, but with the Grom the sky is your limit.
My guess is we can bet our sweet bippies that if the little Kawasaki proves popular both OEM and aftermarket goodies will be available pretty quickly. But even if that doesn't happen, it's wicked cute and I want one!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 03-06-2016 at 05:13 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM

Honey I shrunk the Versys!

Left my Versys in the dryer and it shrunk! Damn! I hate it when that happens!
Capn Kirk and Jim Nazium like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:21 PM

definitely a mini-versys...there may not be a lot of after market parts and hop-up parts..but they will come...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 AM

Always wanted to get something similar to the single cylinder Yamaha 125 my best friend had, and taught me on back in 1968. then another friend got the 350 shortly thereafter. Of course those were both cycle engines, so it wont quite be the same without that ring ding ding ding ding.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM

whats the top speed on these 125's (including the grom)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:42 AM

For some inexplicable reason, I really want one of these. Totally impractical where I live, limited rides I could take it on, but it looks like a ton of fun!!
The Grom intrigued me, but I like the look of the Kawi more.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
Euro models topped at 109 km/h - ish. So you may get a little over 60mph with a rider on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
For some inexplicable reason, I really want one of these. Totally impractical where I live, limited rides I could take it on, but it looks like a ton of fun!!
The Grom intrigued me, but I like the look of the Kawi more.
I can't wait for these things to come out. You bet I'll be getting one. I'm sure my 6'5 frame is going to look ridiculous on this 30 in seat height bike. Hopefully there are as many aftermarket parts and DIY for it as the Grom has

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Cute. It's got a hugger and side fairings, so we don't even get that oem. But the engine size would only interest me if I was 10 y.o., unless it's like a rv camper-bumper vehicle. That would be cool. I'm glad to see Kawasaki improve their presence in any market.

But then again, if you are riding trails (which I quit hugging pine trees when I got my license), you can only go so fast anyway: so it would be great for trails or Northern Snow riding and city commuting in traffic too (that you cannot lane split.)

Last edited by kawdog; 03-09-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:51 PM

Garage
I'm stoked!

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I am 5'8" 165 pounds. On a calm day, and flat roads I can hit around 63-64 WOT in a full tuck. I can better that downhill. Normally 55-60 is about everything it has in it. On a hill, it will bog down about 5-8 MPH in a 45 zone. Head winds actually slow me down some.

Around town (anything 45mph and below), the Grom is a hoot. The few times I have ridden in a 55mpg zone, there is not a lot of safety factor because there is nothing left to power out of danger or pass a vehicle.

If you buy one, know its going to have limitations even more than a 250. I will tell you this, when any of my riding friends hop on, they come back with a grin they can'y wipe off. It's kinda like riding a neighbor kids dirtbike down the road legally.

Cheers!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:52 PM

Garage
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:00 AM

So, I picked one up at my local dealer a couple of weeks ago. It was the only one they had, they won't get more till late June/early July.

This is the mini-bike I never had as a kid! I'm having a ton of fun on it. No highway riding, of course, but plenty of backroads around here. Did I mention I'm having a lot of fun?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
So, I picked one up at my local dealer a couple of weeks ago. It was the only one they had, they won't get more till late June/early July.

This is the mini-bike I never had as a kid! I'm having a ton of fun on it. No highway riding, of course, but plenty of backroads around here. Did I mention I'm having a lot of fun?
I had so much fun on my Grom... I know what you mean!!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM

There was a newer ninja 250 with Z125 front and rear wheels on it at deals gap a few weeks ago.......entertaining I'm sure.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo64 View Post
There was a newer ninja 250 with Z125 front and rear wheels on it at deals gap a few weeks ago.......entertaining I'm sure.
Haha.. Would love to have seen that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode