Compared Versys with BMW F650GS and Yamaha FZ6 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jibs
  • 1 Post By Squishman
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By phasechange
  • 1 Post By phasechange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Compared Versys with BMW F650GS and Yamaha FZ6

Hello everyone.
I was always wonder what is the difference between engines with single, twin and 4 cylinders. We took 3 bikes and compared their dynamics.
I've added English subtitles for you to understand what I'm talking about.
No Video
kohburn likes this.

Kawasaki Versys 650 + Kawasaki KX-125

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM

no inline 3's?

cool vid
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
no inline 3's?
No triumphs are very rare in our country.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibs View Post
No triumphs are very rare in our country.

Thanks.
Yamaha?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yamaha is only 850 ccm. There is no sense to compare it with 600-650 ccm bikes.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibs View Post
Yamaha is only 850 ccm. There is no sense to compare it with 600-650 ccm bikes.
That's fair.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 AM

I still have a 1997 BMW F650ST. I think it rocks even though it will give you sore buns; but to match the Vs. 650, you would have to get 1) a Bombardier DS650 Web cam high lift/short duration cam (similar to Vs. 650 midrange cam), 2) buy a Husky TR 650 enhanced top end (BMW 650) racing bike, or 3) get a turbo which few have been done. You will spend up to $5K more for these options complete (although I'd like a Strada TR650 Husky cheap - in addition.)

But rather than do that, it is much cheaper to buy and maintain a Vs. 650.The performance and reliability would be hard to equal by any of the others for all round riding. A thump is nice, but add in the supermoto chassis too, and there are a few more thousand dollars to match (actually though, the Husky TR650 may come close but 1) it's a one-year wonder discontinued bike and 2) it's not Japanese.)

All motorcycles are fun to drive, but I don't know of any more fun than the Vs. 650 at most of the speeds we drive and most of the time. Racetracks are a different story maybe, but that is apples and oranges. Racing motorcycles is way beyond what I want to do, like the offroad image of the BMW 650's, but that is what sells high profit margin bikes that are rarely run for racing or offroad. Most of those owners get their (bike image) thrills 5% to 10% of the time (estimated), whereas I enjoy my sports-touring deluxe close to 100% of the time Safely! ymmv

And the BMW GS650's (efi) do not have any low middle range, like noted in the video above, but they get good gas mileage. BMW needs Aprilia or Husky to help them design their single cylinder engine bikes, imo.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-01-2016 at 03:47 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:34 PM

Prior to my Versys, I had a Kawasaki Concours 1000 with an inline four. I like to accelerate fast. I don't speed much, but I usually get to my chosen speed ASAP. I was shocked and stunned at the torque of the Versys. Maybe I downgraded in HP, but the torque is amazingly similar or possibly better since it's 220 lbs lighter.
kawdog likes this.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Prior to my Versys, I had a Kawasaki Concours 1000 with an inline four. I like to accelerate fast. I don't speed much, but I usually get to my chosen speed ASAP. I was shocked and stunned at the torque of the Versys. Maybe I downgraded in HP, but the torque is amazingly similar or possibly better since it's 220 lbs lighter.
Yeah, I had a BMW K1100LT and above 80mph, it was great, but that is a hell of lot of mass to control at those speeds! That bike almost killed me. 650 cc to 750 cc vertical single or twins for life for me, and the preference always goes to midrange overhead cams - they rock! It's fun, safe and you don't have to be going too fast for your own good. I hope they never quit making the Vs. 650, but as long as there is a Ninja 650, I think we are safe: the Vs. 650 is the half price economy model from left over Ninja parts (with a midrange cam and vertical seating)
Squishman likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-02-2016 at 10:17 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Another Connie convert

Quote:
Yup, the same here. Pulling away from a traffic light the V actually feels quicker than the Connie. And, the only other way that I could lose over 200 pounds of ugly fat from my motorcycle would be for me to not get on it.

I'm just about to my 1 year anniversary with the Versys, and I think there have been 2 occasions where I felt I really needed more power, and neither of them were safety-related, I just wish I could have passed faster. Every once in a while I'm a little wistful and think I'd like the rush of of a liter bike engine winding out, but it quickly passes.
Squishman likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasechange View Post
Yup, the same here. Pulling away from a traffic light the V actually feels quicker than the Connie. And, the only other way that I could lose over 200 pounds of ugly fat from my motorcycle would be for me to not get on it.

I'm just about to my 1 year anniversary with the Versys, and I think there have been 2 occasions where I felt I really needed more power, and neither of them were safety-related, I just wish I could have passed faster. Every once in a while I'm a little wistful and think I'd like the rush of of a liter bike engine winding out, but it quickly passes.
Pretty funny Phasechange. We could've written each others posts. I ordered my Versys one year ago this month. Although, I didn't actually take delivery for nine looong weeks.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Pretty funny Phasechange. We could've written each others posts. I ordered my Versys one year ago this month. Although, I didn't actually take delivery for nine looong weeks.
My purchase proceeded a little more quickly. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of such a small bike, but a I stopped in after work to take a quick test ride (a leftover 2014). That's what I rode home that evening.
Squishman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode