Bike for wife.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike for wife....

So my wife is 5' 0". She has some experience riding a 150 cc scooter....that being her only experience on a bike. She wants something to ride that'll keep up with highway traffic on her commute. Any suggestions for bikes for someone her size? She has only ridden the centrifugal clutch so that would be a bonus....but not a requirement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 AM

CDDave,

Cruisers as a rule have lower seat height so that maybe something to look at. Other than that a 400 Silverwing "maxi scooter, although 600 is probably just as heavy. For a commute scooter is better because of the "weather protection"
Or , outside the box a Vespa GTS 300 should be good for over 70 mph. Might be a bit trendy for ND tho'.

If you are really flush an Aprilia 850 Mana, with no clutch. But seat height?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Engine Type Four stroke, air cooled, OHC, single cylinder
Piston Displacement 652cc
Bore x Stroke 94.0mm x 94.0mm
Compression Ratio 8.5:1
Carburetor MIKUNI BS40, single
Starter System Electric
Transmission 5-speed constant mesh
Overall Length 2180mm
Overall Width 720mm
Overall Height 1105mm
Wheelbase 1480mm
Ground Clearance 135mm
Seat Height 700mm
Curb Mass 173kg
Suspension - Front Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Suspension - Rear Swingarm, coil spring, oil damped
Brake - Front Disc brake
Brake - Rear Drum brake
Tyre - Front 100/90-19 M/C 57H, tube type
Tyre - Rear 140/80-15 M/C 67H, tube type
Ignition Type Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
Fuel Tank (litres) 10.5

Fun. Pure and Simple.Big single-cylinder machines: they're incredibly fun to ride!

The 2009 Boulevard S40 features a big 652cc single, 5-speed transmission, quiet low-maintenance belt drive system. With a curb mass of just 173kg, the S40 is light weight and responsive, it's great for cruising around town or getting out on the open road.

With the S40 you have a bike that combines exciting performance with rock-solid reliability and looks that stand the test of time.

The Boulevard S40 for 2009 - designed for you to enjoy the simple pleasure and pure excitement of motorcycling.

Talk to your local Suzuki Dealer and see for yourself.

This was my wifes first cruiser a single 650 no frills, its so light you would think its a 250cc a very safe machine

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 AM

My wife is 5'0" also. She rides the Buell Blast. In fact, she has done over 75k miles following me on the FJR1300 all over the US. SHe also earned an Ironbutt certificate on the Blast. I did some modification to the design of the bike and re-jetted the carb. I also added a K&N filter and D&D exhaust. A custom Rick Meyer seat helped on the long rides; Givi wind screen and sadllebags/trunk. THis is a bad ass bike and gets more attention than my bikes do.
Tons of support at Bad Weather Bikers (thumper forum).
You can read lots of information at: http://www.whereismaggiemae.com
This is her second Blast bike and you can pick them up with low mileage for around $2000 right now. You can still get parts easy because they use them in MSF course. I would go with anything above a 2005 as they made a few changes after that for the better.
She loves that it is not a cruiser, and can keep up with other bikes in the corners.She rides around 75mph to 80mph all day long on the highway. Good luck on picking something out.
You will see how I have her bike set up and where she has ridden this little monster at her website above.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-28-2010 at 04:48 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

The Suzuki Boulevard S40 was a bit small for my wife, she is 5'6 so she went to the c50t Boulevard. The S40 had a top speed of 140km/hr or 87 miles/hr, very low to ground and very forgiving for a newer rider
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 AM

http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.p...io%20MP3%20250

I have ridden the 250cc version. Very fun and pretty quick! Twist and go, no shifting. I'm sure the 400 & 500cc are a little better suited for interstate.

My wife rides a 650 V-Star and it has a low seat height and runs up and down the interstate - no prob.

Good luck!

Small piece of advice...Let her choose!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Small piece of advice...Let her choose!
Thats the bottom line Capn a very
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 AM

+1 on that!

IBA #23562

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 AM

My wife is also 5ft. It is best to take her to a dealer to sit on as many bikes as possible. Seat height is important, but width is too. Several of the larger cc scooters are very wide where your feet go, so it is hard for shorter people to get their feet on the ground. Also several larger cruisers have low seats, but she needs be careful of their large exhaust pipes. Some can be very close to the leg. Good luck.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM

My girlfriend started on a Buell Blast last year and it was a good starter bike. She like it until I put on an aftermarket exhaust because the original exhaust header broke. The aftermarket was $100 cheaper than the oem one but it was too loud for her and made the bike vibrate more. The Blast was designed to be laid down, abused and neglected. That being said it's an air cooled thumper with small wheels that was killed off a few months before Buell was shut down. So you wife may not like the vibes, it goes through tiers quicker than a bike with larger wheels and I noticed that parts are already less abundant than they were a year ago. If you live near a HD dealer that sold Buell as well you shouldn't have a problem getting parts. That's just my experience with the blast.

My girlfriend has since moved up to an ER-6n which she likes much better. It's a fairly low bike but I doubt that it is low enough for your wife to be comfortable on it.

Just get here to sit on as many bikes as you can and let here narrow down the selection until she finds a bike she is happy with.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

The Guys have a point.

Let her test ride and choose.Good Luck.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM

I took it literally - bike for wife - and thought it was a good trade

Foo Fighter Rider
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM

my wife is on the short side. loves her 650r. buell blasts are cool also and can be had cheap. another cool twin is the bonneville.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM

BTW, look for the blast to be ressurected at some point maybe as a harley. they use that bike in their riders edge programs so it wouldn't surprise me if they bring it back in a limited form.

unless of course they just use those little sportsters.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM

Ok, just a few notes on the Blast. First, the vibes go away when you get up to about 25mph. It is the nature of a single cylinder. I actually have video from the front windshield on my wifes blast on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/Thump52#p/f/1/KNXxiIxB43k that shows how smooth it can be. Actually smoother than the Versys at speed. Secondly, the Blast never ceased being made. It still is produced for the Riders Edge. Erik Buell just wanted to change the image to a more racing profile, so he crushed the Blast to make a statement. The parts are easy to get, I have been working on them for 5 years now. Also, it is hardly a beginners bike. Harley would like people to believe that, so they can move a lady up to a more expensive bike. My wife has over 75k miles between two of them in 5 years. Most riders don't put that kind of mileage on a bike in its lifetime unless they are serious riders.
That said, I would try to stear her into a lighter, less expensive bike, possible used, until she knows how to ride and believes it is something she will do often before spending a bunch of money.

IBA #23562

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

yeah, definately gonna let her choose....just wanted some ideas for a starting point. She wants a cruiser. Her favorite bike i ever had was a Shadow 650 VLX. Too small for me...too big for her. I like the looks of the Boulevard S40. I'd personally like to see her on a 250 cc scooter.....but we gotta make momma happy.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropdusterdave View Post
Her favorite bike i ever had was a Shadow 650 VLX.
Something to consider...

Honda VLX 650 = 4 speed chain drive
Yamaha V Star 650 = 5 Speed shaft drive
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
My wife is 5'0" also. She rides the Buell Blast. ...
Cool discussion! My wife also rides a Blast and apparently got some good information from that web page, including the bag she bought. So thanks to both you and your wife!

She's 5'4" and the Blast is actually a bit small for her (in her opinion). But it's been a great bike so far (just a few months).

We've already started talking about what her next bike will be and liked the recommendation of the ER-6n, but we're totally open to anything at this point. She needs something she can balance, easily control and is fun to ride.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM

in terms of a cruiser, the vstar650 looks real nice. can't beat shaft drive IMO. Check out the blacked out one!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Glad you got some good info. Is she on the short seat or tall? I know at 5'8" I can ride it with the taller seat with no problem. However, my wife had a custom seat made to help her with the long miles we put on. It is only 25" seat height (about what the stock low was).
Great little bike IMO.

IBA #23562

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode