BMW sales by model - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By junglejim
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

BMW sales by model

Crunching the Numbers of BMW's Record Sales Year

The F model, 800cc vertical twin (20%) was next to the R bikes (56% - take a test ride, easy financing, and you just blew $18K (RT)!) The F800 had an engine vibration oscillation problem (when the revs are up) at first I'm sure they have never addressed since they rarely fix systemic problems. OW, it could have been a great bike for me. BMW has a Achilles heel in all of their models and I've had 4, 3 different kinds: R, K, F. I liked the F650 ST single cylinder the best of all BMW's.

I think the Vs. 650 beats the BMW F800, except for cc for tour riders 2-up maybe. Jap bikes are very cool after owning BMW's for 30 years. Unless they came out with models they just discontinued in 2013 with Husky, I'd never see myself buying another BMW again. - high $$$ parts, nobody work on them, and no good options. ymmv

saddlebag likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-24-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Crunching the Numbers of BMW's Record Sales Year

The F model, 800cc vertical twin (20%) was next to the R bikes (56% - take a test ride, easy financing, and you just blew $18K (RT)!) The F800 had an engine vibration oscillation problem (when the revs are up) at first I'm sure they have never addressed since they rarely fix systemic problems. OW, it could have been a great bike for me. BMW has a Achilles heel in all of their models and I've had 4, 3 different kinds: R, K, F. I liked the F650 ST single cylinder the best of all BMW's.

I think the Vs. 650 beats the BMW F800, except for cc for tour riders 2-up maybe. Jap bikes are very cool after owning BMW's for 30 years. Unless they came out with models they just discontinued in 2013 with Husky, I'd never see myself buying another BMW again. - high $$$ parts, nobody work on them, and no good options. ymmv

Amazing how few people are buying those 6 cylinders. I'm glad BMW isn't sitting on their laurels and providing a lot of diversity, but man what a terrible return on investment those things were. You'd think they'd be discounting them, but you'd be mistaken.

Another thing I recently read that I found rather amazing about BMW is that Ducati sold 16k Scramblers last year. BMW sold 16k across all its bikes.

On the flip side, I'm sure the margins on GS's and RT's is quite a bit healthier than on Scramblers...

Jap bikes seem to be headed the direction of the Scrambler. The new Hondas all seem to be targeting the low end, city commuter market. They did bring out that new Africa bike which is pretty cool, I suppose, if you happen to own a lot of land to play with it on. When not doing that they are meekly attempting to copy BMW.

I'd love to see Suzuki take that V-Strom 1000 engine and put it in a nice little sport tourer. Hopefully, BMW will sell enough RS that the japs will copy that. Unfortunately, in the name of cost, if they do it'll be with an inline 4.

Last edited by saddlebag; 01-24-2016 at 07:27 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 AM

The BMW F800R was what I was thinking of purchasing this summer. Until I did more research, and came upon the Versys LT 650. Bit smaller cc's. Overall though the Versys brings more to the table. MSRP in Canada $9999.00 compared to $10900.00 for the BMW. The Versys comes with bags and I am sure a more dependable machine. By the time I fit the BMW with bags and a windscreen add another $1200. So yea looks like for what I need, will be buying the Versys.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 AM

I had to go and do it. I bought a used RT for $5,500. The guy I bought it from had a gold wing too. He said they cost about the same new but the wing was valued at 70-80% more than the RT after 10 years. I love the bike and it does out perform the V in everyway (except weight and maintenance costs..). And yes the closest BMW mechanic is 71 miles from my house. The RT forum compared to here sucks. I can fix almost anything on the V with help from guys here. The RT site not so much, not sure they even own any wrenches...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1200RT-2005.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	79009  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
The RT forum compared to here sucks. I can fix almost anything on the V with help from guys here. The RT site not so much, not sure they even own any wrenches...
From what I've seem most of the owners of the newer Beemers don't even try to do mechanical work. Most folks have seen the humorous joke about the "BMW tool kit" - it consists of a cell phone and a credit card.
Stud Muffin likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I had to go and do it. I bought a used RT for $5,500. The guy I bought it from had a gold wing too. He said they cost about the same new but the wing was valued at 70-80% more than the RT after 10 years. I love the bike and it does out perform the V in everyway (except weight and maintenance costs..). And yes the closest BMW mechanic is 71 miles from my house. The RT forum compared to here sucks. I can fix almost anything on the V with help from guys here. The RT site not so much, not sure they even own any wrenches...
Nice! How many miles were on it when you bought it?

My V is going on 8 years now, and I've been considering getting a F800GT. I'm looking for better wind protection, better rear suspension, longer wheelbase, and a slight forward rider lean. But the high price is slowing my decision process down. I'm thinking that if I test ride one, that may help...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
From what I've seem most of the owners of the newer Beemers don't even try to do mechanical work. Most folks have seen the humorous joke about the "BMW tool kit" - it consists of a cell phone and a credit card.
There's good reason. From what I've read, not much goes wrong with them besides the dry clutch on the older models. And you pretty much have to disassemble the entire bike to replace it. Supposedly, that's only needed once every 80k miles or so.
Valve adjustments should be cake. As I recall, prior to 2014, they were screw type adjusters.
The new ones have a wet clutch that should last a lot longer, but the valves require shimming.
There's a good video on Youtube of a guy checking his new designed heads. With them sticking out the side, it requires a lot less disassembly to get at them than most bikes.
Anyway, $5500 for an RT is a steal. Way more fun than a Goldwing at any price IMHO.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...The RT site not so much, not sure they even own any wrenches...
Don't ALL Beemers come w/ a set of monogrammed wrenches...?

Stud Muffin likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Nice! How many miles were on it when you bought it?

My V is going on 8 years now, and I've been considering getting a F800GT. I'm looking for better wind protection, better rear suspension, longer wheelbase, and a slight forward rider lean. But the high price is slowing my decision process down. I'm thinking that if I test ride one, that may help...
I got it with 47,800 miles and so far have put just under 4K. Only gripe so far is the aftermarket seat (Sargent heat wire melted through cover.). Looking forward to at least another 50K out of her. Hopefully that's miles not maintenance dollars...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
I test road a GS 800 at a BMW riders event. It felt like a higher quality product than the Versys. When I got it on the highway though it felt unstable compared to the Versys. The front wheel felt so light it was almost numb at highway speeds. Perhaps due to it's more heavy dirt bias and the narrow 21 inch front wheel. At a small fraction of the price I felt I had a better bike in the Versys. Now if they were similar in cost the result might be different.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Don't ALL Beemers come w/ a set of monogrammed wrenches...?

Well crap! I was apparently cheated. My 93 K75S didn't come with personalized wrenches.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I test road a GS 800 at a BMW riders event. It felt like a higher quality product than the Versys. When I got it on the highway though it felt unstable compared to the Versys. The front wheel felt so light it was almost numb at highway speeds. Perhaps due to it's more heavy dirt bias and the narrow 21 inch front wheel. At a small fraction of the price I felt I had a better bike in the Versys. Now if they were similar in cost the result might be different.
I "tested" the F800GS, the F700GS, the 1200GS as well as the V-stroms, THEN I bought the FIRST of my three Vs.

I felt right from the start that the V was better than the others....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I "tested" the F800GS, the F700GS, the 1200GS as well as the V-stroms, THEN I bought the FIRST of my three Vs.

I felt right from the start that the V was better than the others....

-
Funny how that works.

I test rode the old 1100RT way back when and I remember thinking it felt a lot like my father in law's 800cc Honda Pacific Coast. I wasn't too impressed with the vibration at idle.

Later, I test rode a 1200RT. Again, the idle vibration make the bike feel cheap to me, but I thought it rode pretty nice on the short demo route. Did get to put it around a on ramp clover leaf and it gave me a new appreciation for it's capability.

Then I rented a 1200RT to bebop around the Alps with my wife. That opened my eyes. That bike was fantastic straight out of the box. I had an FJR that I thought was pretty good...AFTER I had spent a small fortune replacing half the stuff on it with aftermarket parts. Still wasn't near as good a bike as a stock 1200RT. After riding the RT in its element, a trivial thing like idle vibration had no impact on my assessment of the bike's value.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:24 PM

Garage
ya Moochy... the BMW F800R for 10900 Canadian? seems like that would be a deal. the one I saw here was close to 14k i n USD, and new Versys selling at 9200 in the same shop (AK though, of course we pay max... especially for that kind of bike). I would have bought one years ago to replace the 1150GS if the "out the door" price would have been 10. never seen one for less than about 13-14 here. moot point now.... got a new 2015 LT in Tacoma fro 7800 otd

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:08 AM

I stopped by the BMW dealer yesterday to purchase a nice jacket that was on closeout sale. Nice jacket, very nice price.

While there, I sat on a couple of bikes.

Previously, all of the BMW bikes were too tall for me. Guess what? They now have "low" models.
Crap ! I had to leave before I bought something.

Cool looking bikes, that's for sure.

I really want a 1200 GSA but it has so much electronics ..... sort scared me away....

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post

Previously, all of the BMW bikes were too tall for me. Guess what? They now have "low" models.
Crap ! I had to leave before I bought something.
One of the closer BMW places has a hot little mama selling bikes. I believe she's the daughter of the owner. While showing me around and me talking about how I was happy BMW lowered the seat height on the RT, she pointed to a big honking GS sitting outside. She proudly told me that was hers. I asked her if it was lowered. She's shorter than me. It wasn't. Talk about feeling like a real puss...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 AM

Yes, Ducati may sell more Scramblers but BMW have a greater profit margin and people buy into the BMW "experience".

Their customers buy additional kit, clothing, boots, helemts, sat nav etc. all of which are high margin items. Plus the roll-over rate for BMWs is high (like Apple iPhones) and there is huge customer loyalty with the buyer buying BMW again and again and again.

BMW's are a disease and I don't think there is a 12 Step program for their owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode