Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys finally catching on in the US??

4K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  StonedGP 
#1 ·
I ride with a very 'swift' group here in SoCal and have been for the last 3 years with my Versys.

First couple of years, a few of the group would come over and kick the tires, but no real interest. This year I've had half a dozen of my fellow riders come over, ask to swap bikes (all came back very impressed). 3 that I know of are looking to purchase (hooked one guy up with a brand new red one in WA for a real steal $5,300.00).

Many of my fellow riders are 'well heeled', i.e. can and do ride Ducati's, BMW's, racing Honda's, Yamaha's etc, money is no object to a large extent. But they are going to plonk money down on a V.

Obviously the liter and bigger bikes leave me in the dust on the straight aways, but now that my riding skills have improved, I catch them in the twisties on my little 650.

Machog

G
#2 ·
its the impression I get too. They Went through a mid term dip now seem to be on the radar more lately. Word of mouth rather than Kawaski's marketing IMO. Plus when whupping supposedly better/expensive bikes helps interest/take seriously too!

#4 ·
Look at the growth of this forum in the last couple of years...I think (and hope!) a serious following is coming...
i hope not. different is good. if i wanted dime-a-dozen, i'd have gotten a wee.

#7 ·
I have had a lot of different motorcycles. Z-1, Harleys, Gold Wing... I have had some orthopedic problems and no longer take long trips, I mostly ride around town. Also, With my knee replacement, I can't set to low to the ground. I set on a V and it felt good so I payed cash, 7/08. I love this bike more every time I ride it.
It's great to have outgrown the need to say mine is bigger or cost more. This bike is perfect for an old guy who loves to ride.

#8 ·
Like many of you, I had many bikes in the past.

Versys is one of my favorite. Around town, in the canyon; it does what I want beautifully!!!

Most importantly, around my area, I am the only one that got one... Kind of strange, I live in Los Angeles... I have only seen a few other Versys but too often! :)

#10 ·
Versys/ Whats that?

Greetings, Yesterday I went to my BMW club monthly lunch. I parked my 2008 Versys just outside the front door. The place was full not only with the BMW group but lots of Harley riders as well.
Harley riders, " Thats a motorcycle ? Never seen anything like that before "
Gold Wing riders, " What is that thing ? "
BMW riders, " Hmmmmmm, looks interesting "
In general, " must be something brand new "
So very soon I'll take my wife's hair dryer and peel off the Versys and Kawasaki badges, and add more mystery to the strange red bike. Angus.

#14 ·
I think it's a great bike, but the sales seem to be slow. Considering it got Motorcycle of the year, that's a little troubling. However, the demographic among buyers seems to be all over the place: Harley guys, adventure touring folks, first time riders, and most of all, those of us who can only own one motorcycle. I truly and sincerely hope that this segment is catching on in the US. If Kawasaki continues to improve upon the Versys every 2 years as they seem to be doing, just think what the Versys will be in 4 more years!

#15 ·
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers making up almost all of the market. I am supprised there are not a lot more choices, like the Versys, in the middle. But the thing I really don't understand is why cruisers, and in particular HD's are so popular. I've ridden HDs several times and do not see the appeal - they vibrate a lot worse than the Versys, only rev to 5K, make me feel every bump in my spine, cause me to have a death grip on the bars at highway speeds so as not to be blown off the back, are not that fun to ride in the corners and cost a fortune. OK they do look good - but does everyone buy bikes soley one the way they look?:confused:

#16 ·
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers making up almost all of the market. ... OK they do look good - but does everyone buy bikes soley one the way they look?:confused:
Sadly, yes they do. Too many Americans view a motorcycle as a toy or a status symbol over fun and practical transportation. Same deal with the mentality that bigger displacement is better... 650cc is the largest bike I've ever owned, and I still have a lot of fun. Does one need a liter or more?

#17 ·
I guess it all comes down to personal choice and ones own definition of what individuality really means.
I ride mostly (98% of the time) by my self.
That's what I love about Motorcycles....It's solitude amongst the multitudes.
Running down the road at 70 mph; just me and the road.
The Versys my only companion.
I don't care about what anyone else thinks of my ride.
I need no ones approval to enjoy the simple pleasure of being one with the road.
Freedom! That's why I ride.
and my Versys...My gloriously mean green alien machine fills the need to perfection.

She eats up the long highway miles with comfort and ease and makes every twisty a joy.
and at a price that is anything but exclusive.
What more could you ask for...what more could you need.
"Let the good times roll" indeed.
Peace.

#23 ·
Some get a a Mustang because they are cool. Others get japanese tuners because they are cool. Some get hummers because they are cool. 4 cilinder Accords and Camry's are not cool. However, it is the compromise most pay for decent practical transportation therefore when they ride on weekends, yes that is what most riders do, they do not want a ride that looks decent and pratical. They want cool. Well, they do not know what they are missing.

#24 ·
I have yet to talk with anyone that has anything bad to say about the Versys. Some are non-committal but by far and away it runs from curious to amazed. The economy here has of course but a big dent in MC sales and the Versys arrived on the scene about the time it really started to get bad and suffered in sales. I truly don't believe there is another motorcycle out there as overall truly adaptable as the Versys. I owned one for about a year and then bought a Goldwing but am now seriously looking at adding another Versys to my Garage. Kinda gets in your blood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.