Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

what windshield for versys 1000--2017

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 ·
posted elsewhere but title bad--what is everyone doing for a windshield for the 2017 1000? I shimmed out the bottom
of the shield yesterday and will try the cheap way..there is a puig touring on it now. thanks

#2 ·
I have a 2015 / 1000 and when I bought the bike it had a smoked Puig Racing Screen (18 inches tall) on it. I thought it looked good but all I got was a lot of head buffeting from it. I'm short (5'7") so maybe that's the problem. I put the stock screen back on and it was a lot better for me. I think the other thing is, I am used to riding my sport bike which only has a tiny screen and the air goes into your chest not bouncing off your head. So maybe it's what I was used to?
Anyhow, I recently purchased a National Cycle Short (13 inches) VStream windshield because I wanted a smoked screen. It's about as tall as the stock screen but a different shape - we'll see how it performs when I get a clear day to ride.

I have seen a video on Youtube (Ozark backroads?) where a guy actually cuts down a screen he bought with a jigsaw and sanded and buffed it out - It looked like he did a good job on it!

Good luck!

#8 ·
My 2015 came with a Puig Touring.
It seems to catch wind, in a bad way and jostle the bike, much more than the one I test rode on the highway, with the stock screen.
I find a new /old stock OEM screen on ebay for $50.
Worth a shot.

I may try trimming off a few inches of the Puig. In the lowest position, it's just above my eyes.

#5 ·
Just took a burn today with my National Cycle Short screen and for me it is awesome!! It makes my bike feel more like a sport bike with the wind hitting my chest not bouncing around my head. I will most likely sell my Puig screen as I will never mount it again. I will see if there is a classified section in here and figure out how to post pictures.

#9 ·
My '17 V1K came with a no-name touring windshield that I thought was ok. The bike came with the stock screen also and from comments on-line I didn't think it would be worth trying over the bigger screen. Being retired and easily bored, one day I decided to put the OEM screen on to try. I was very surprised to find it was about the same as the big screen for me. I don't get any head buffet as many complain about and the noise level is on par with the big screen. The airflow goes just over the top of my helmet. There is a bit more air hitting me in the chest, but it is coming from the side, not over the top. That's a good thing in the summer. I'll need to re-evaluate when cold weather comes around and may switch back to the big screen then.
Just goes to show how subjective a thing like windscreens can be. Seating position, torso length, helmet type, sensitivity to wind flow and noise, and probably a thousand other factors add up to whether one likes a particular setup. I'm having my seat rebuilt in a few weeks. (speaking of subjective!) and that may change how I perceive the OEM screen as well. But for now I am pleasantly surprised with the OEM screen.
That National cycle smoked screen sure looks good though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.