Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ regrets?

25K views 63 replies 27 participants last post by  HelloFrom2012Versys650 
#1 ·
I put a deposit down on a new 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ and will (hopefully) be sealing the deal in a couple weeks. I currently own a 2012 Versys 650 that will remain my daily commuter but the 1000 SE would be for trips, fun rides, with and without a passenger. As much as I enjoy the 650, it’s just not very comfortable for extended rides.

Asking any owners of a 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+, do you have any regrets with your purchase? Are you happy with your decision? I’ve read and watched countless reviews, almost all very positive but thought it would be a great data point to hear feedback from actual owners.

#2 ·
I put a deposit down on a new 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ and will (hopefully) be sealing the deal in a couple weeks. I currently own a 2012 Versys 650 that will remain my daily commuter but the 1000 SE would be for trips, fun rides, with and without a passenger. As much as I enjoy the 650, it’s just not very comfortable for extended rides.

Asking any owners of a 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+, do you have any regrets with your purchase? Are you happy with your decision? I’ve read and watched countless reviews, almost all very positive but thought it would be a great data point to hear feedback from actual owners.
I don't have the 2019, but I can assure you that the seat the one I sat on is the same as my 2016. If you are serious about only using it for long trips, that'll be one of your first upgrades. The factory seat is only good for about 2 hours at a time.

#4 · (Edited)
I have owned my 19 Versys SE for 11 months now and have almost 8k miles on it. In the beginning I thought it was a bit expensive and that I did not need all the electronic wiz bang gizmos. Now I have no regrets other than I am pissed at Kaw for not giving us the beautiful green color for 2019 instead it now comes out in 2020. A year too late. As far as the bike is concerned, I still don't need all the electronic Gizmos ..... But they are sure nice to have. You will forget about the cost and as some one said "You can't take it with you" So go spend your kids inheritance. I might add. No issues at all. As far as the seat, that is so subjective. I have a Walmart pad on mine and have no issues.

Attachments

#9 ·
...As much as I enjoy the 650, it’s just not very comfortable for extended rides....
Did you try raising the front of your seat? Mine have been GREAT for VERY long rides w/ it raised.

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but didn't you just say something like, "don't listen to that idiot, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I modified my seat and it's fine"?
No I said that seats are a subjective item, just like every thing else about Motorcycles, oil, tires, windshields etc. Made no reference to anybody or anybody's seat. Only spoke of my own seat. And no where did I use disparaging terms.
I think, to use a Brit term - 52Degrees was just taking a Mickey out on you.

:wink2:

#11 ·
I have a 2016 V-1K had an 09 V-650. I like the newer Versy 1K but if i was going to shuck out the price i would get a bike with shaft drive and an adjustable windscreen....

#13 ·
Is that a tank bag on your Versys? I’ve got the exact same bike and cannot find a tank bag that says it will fit the 2019 SE LT+.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have three regrets:

1. I could probably get a better deal now vs last december (seems prices dropped about $500+)

2. I knew on the test ride that the footpegs were a bit high for me, but I thought it would be easy to get a footpeg lowering kit, like it was easy to do on my vstrom.

It is not. I did manage to find a kit off of ebay that lowered the pegs 1.5 inches, but it wasn't perfect, it put my feet out a bit, so I was pigeon toed to get to the controls, and when I lowered the rear brake to fit, it interfered with the cruise control and stopped the cruise control from working.

So I am back to the original pegs, and working on my knees with stretching and strengthening. Maybe highway pegs on the crash bars (once I get them installed) will work for occasional leg stretching on long rides.

3. I regret not giving my bike a complete 20 minute going over before I drove it off. I did a quick test ride, it was like the bike I rode before, and it looked ok. The salesman and I spent most of our time figuring out how to bluetooth the bike to my phone. After that I noticed that it has a few fit and finish issues that if I had noticed at the dealer, I would have made the dealer give me a different bike. I may see what the dealer is willing to do warranty wise, but they aren't big issues. My windscreen seems to be more yellow that it should be, the side panels fit differently, the right side has a much bigger gap to the tank than the left, and the right saddlebag is finicky about locking and doesn't close as tightly as the left one, it also seems looser on the mount.

So my advice is to make the best deal you can. You shouldn't pay more than $14,500 now, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb before you accept it, and do a long enough test ride to test the ergonomics.

But this is my first inline four, and once I finally broke it in, and took traction control off, the dam thing keeps trying to lift the front wheel, even at 50 mph !

And this is hands down, the best handling bike I've had in the last 40 years. It feels almost as nimble and falls into turns as well as my duke 690. (it is, of course, nowhere near as flickable though)

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hopefully I don't piss anybody off here :laugh2: but I have couple of comments about the chain drive versus shaft drive. I have been a shaft guy my whole riding career until I got old. (I am 70 now) I was a die hard shafty person. Would not own a large bike with out shaft drive. Rode shaft bikes excursively until recently. Any bike I owned larger than a 750 and up must have shaft. V45 Saber, VT1100C, ST1100, R100GS, ST1300, FJR1300, only my dirt bikes and duel sport bikes had chains. Over the years what I found out is that, Yes, shafts do not need as much daily ride maint. as chain but when it comes time to do a U-joint repair, or rear drive repair on a shaft the cost of parts and of labor will catch up with any chain drive I have owned. Don't get me wrong, I still like shaft bikes, as I still own my FJR1300 42000 miles and no issues except preventive maint. lubing the splines occasionally. Fortunately I do all my own maint. or the labor cost on my bikes would be outrageous. What I am finding out now that I have a few years on me is that weight is becoming an issue. Not mine the bikes.:wink2: Once I became use to chains and lubing the chain after each 200 mile day ride became a habit, the chain and sprockets have not been a problem. My chain and sprockets of my V-stroms and my KLR60 have lasted in excess of 30K miles and only cost a couple hundred bucks to replace with a couple of hours in the garage with a beer or two. I also do a cleaning of the chain during routine oil changes. Riding in the dirt requires a bit more care, but I am getting to old for that, and don't do a lot riding off pavement anymore. Don't get me wrong, shaft drive bikes are great but don't be afraid of chain drive just because. I still own my FJR, but it is getting heavier every year. My new Versys SE is my FJR replacement. ( I just have not brought myself to sell it yet) The Versys is almost 100 lbs lighter than the FJR. I won't even go into the Horse Power and Performance issues of a shaft vs. a chain drive. Different subject different day. Ride safe and have fun regardless. That is what it is all about.:laugh2::smile2::grin2:

Attachments

#19 ·
Hopefully I don't piss anybody off here :laugh2: but I have couple of comments about the chain drive versus shaft drive. I have been a shaft guy my whole riding career until I got old. (I am 70 now) I was a die hard shafty person. Would not own a large bike with out shaft drive. Rode shaft bikes excursively until recently. Any bike I owned larger than a 750 and up must have shaft. V45 Saber, VT1100C, ST1100, R100GS, ST1300, FJR1300, only my dirt bikes and duel sport bikes had chains. Over the years what I found out is that, Yes, shafts do not need as much daily ride maint. as chain but when it comes time to do a U-joint repair, or rear drive repair on a shaft the cost of parts and of labor will catch up with any chain drive I have owned. Don't get me wrong, I still like shaft bikes, as I still own my FJR1300 42000 miles and no issues except preventive maint. lubing the splines occasionally. Fortunately I do all my own maint. or the labor cost on my bikes would be outrageous. What I am finding out now that I have a few years on me is that weight is becoming an issue. Not mine the bikes.:wink2: Once I became use to chains and lubing the chain after each 200 mile day ride became a habit, the chain and sprockets have not been a problem. My chain and sprockets of my V-stroms and my KLR60 have lasted in excess of 30K miles and only cost a couple hundred bucks to replace with a couple of hours in the garage with a beer or two. I also do a cleaning of the chain during routine oil changes. Riding in the dirt requires a bit more care, but I am getting to old for that, and don't do a lot riding off pavement anymore. Don't get me wrong, shaft drive bikes are great but don't be afraid of chain drive just because. I still own my FJR, but it is getting heaver every year. My new Versys SE is my FJR replacement. ( I just have not brought myself to sell it yet) The Versys is almost 100 lbs lighter than the FJR. I won't even go into the Horse Power and Performance issues of a shaft vs. a chain drive. Different subject different day. Ride safe and have fun regardless. That is what it is all about.:laugh2::smile2::grin2:
Hey, ride your own ride, your own way. I have nothing really against chain drive for most applications. For me, the way I ride, it's not great. I've had a chain break on me before, so I have that experience in mind as well...

I use my Versys primarily for commuting, and chain drive kinda sucks for that. Lots of agriculture equals dust and grit in the air, so maintenance becomes a serious chore.

I'd prefer a shaft drive or even a belt drive for my particular needs, and those aren't really possibilities on this bike, which I believe to be a shortcoming given the natural use of a Versys.

#21 ·
Just remember O-ring and X-ring chains are sealed with grease inside them so basically all the chain lube is doing is conditioning the outside of those O or X rings and keeping rust away. I rode 1650 miles in Utah and Colorado in 7 days and lubed lightly with Silkolene Pro Chain (Totally Synthetic) at about 700 miles and never had any change in adjustment or dryness. Of course before I left I put my 2015 Versys 650LT on a rear spool stand, let it idle in first gear (not safe) and sprayed the chain with a pump bottle of Kerosene while using a Grunge Brush switching positions to get the backside of the chain also. I then dry with a rag and blow compressed air lightly on it to remove all kerosene and then lightly lube with Silkolene because it doesn't take but one round of the chain to lube. You should get better fuel mileage and HP to the rear wheel with a chain also! I will never own a shaft drive motorcycle just my ATV.

#28 ·
Following up on a thread I started … picked up the 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ in early March 2020. So far no regrets (but a few things that need to be taken care of!). Have ~2K mikes on it so far.

The bike rides like a dream, very smooth even over really nasty roads. Adjustable electronic suspension can be changed on the fly. Cruise control is really nice and works well on flat roads but does wander a bit going up/down hills. Comparing to the Versys 650 the bike is quite a bit wider and provides better wind protection. There is also more heat that comes off the motor (not bad – just there). Between the heat and wind protection I was able to ride with temperatures just above freezing whereas, suited up the same way on the Versys 650 was good to about 40F (just not as hardcore as some of you!)

The motor is so smooth and pulls good even at very low revs. Averaging around 43MPG. Can get better when riding slower on county roads but it’s crazy how low the MPG can drop when doing 80MPH into a stiff head wind and slight elevation rise (saw instantaneous readings in the very high 20’s). On the other hand doing 80MPH into a stiff head wind is nothing for the 1000 Versys. Never owned a liter bike before so the power came as quite a surprise. It’s definitely fast but is so smooth that it didn’t seem that fast, until you look at the spedo – yikes! This thing puts out ~118HP, can’t even imagine what those 180HP bikes would be like.

Kind of undecided on the quick shift. Makes the shifter very spongy – weird until you get used to it. Not sure the added complexity is worth it. There is definitely buffeting on my helmet even with the screen set to max height. Have a Puig windscreen on order – will see how that works out. The bike is big and tall (again – never owned a bike this big before) so its taken a while to get used to it. Need to lift my leg really high to get it over the bike. Sometimes I don’t quite make it! Handles well but nowhere as confidence inspiring as the Versys 650. Even with the weight, I was surprised at how the wind can push it around. Was riding with 30MPH sustained winds with higher gusts (at a right angle to the bike) and definitely got slapped around but still felt in control at all times. Lots to learn on the display and controls. Took a while to remember how to do all the settings (and what they are for). Another minor thing is the side cases rattle but there may be some simple fixes for that.

Did have one tense moment, merging onto an expressway (speed limit 70MPH – everyone does 80MPH plus), behind a driver that forgot where the gas pedal was and traffic bearing down on the lanes we were merging onto. To make things more interesting there were very high winds at a right angle to the bike. I hammered the throttle and started making my way around the slower vehicle and crossed into an adjacent lane. Just as I got into the next lane, around 80MPH under hard acceleration, the bike got into a high speed wobble. Nothing serious and damped out quickly but still was disconcerting for me. Never ever had a hint of speed wobble on the Versys 650. Definitely need to spend time on experimenting with suspension settings. For what it’s worth the bike was set to ROAD mode, single rider preload.

As many others warned, the seat (for me) just does not work! Had the same issues with the Versys 650. Forward slope and very hard. Appears my “bottom” and Kawasaki seats are just incompatible. Doing a lot of standing on the pegs after a half hour of riding. Too bad, it really limits time in the saddle. Tried the Air Hawk but it didn’t help. Need a bucket seat like from Terry or somewhere else.

So overall, no regrets. Once a new seat is in place and get the suspension settings sorted out, should be good to go.

Attachments

#31 ·
Congrats on the purchase! I'm also looking to get either 1000 or 650, and I'm on the fence which one to get. I'm 6'3" and 34" inseam, and hate buffeting: would you mind sharing your "body stats"? Also, did you find yourself in need of more oomph on Versys 650 when going 80+? This is about the max speed I would go anyway, but it is nice to know that you have a reserve to overtake/get away from a cager.

From your explanation, I've understood that 650 is a lot more flickable/nimble, but required higher revs at highway speeds: do you find it lacking in that department? I'm about 200 LB, and usually ride alone, and quite often ride with lots of luggage. My current bike (Suzuki C50) is fine most of the times, but it is really designed to go up to 65 MPH; after that the engine is struggling, and the whole thing shakes like a hammer drill.

Thank you and enjoy your new ride!

#34 ·
I’ve got the same exact bike. I’m 61 with sore hips. I need to sand on the peg to get in the saddle but that’s alright with me.

Reactions: RJinTX
#40 ·
To be fair I haven't riden the 1000cc Versys. But the upgrade from my 650 to the 1000cc one os in my mind. In my head a good upgrade would be for the Versys 1000 ou a used BMW 1250 RT as they would fit in the same ballpark in terms of price, and I plan to do some more distance / long trips in my vacations as I don't use my motorcycle as my daily commute as I used to (I have a company car now).

My last ride was a 500km escape to a beautiful location to do some drone footage for my archive. 60% of that was by naciona /secondary roads and some mountain roads. A very fun ride indeed. The 40% of the road that I did in highway (on the way back) was very boring. Not because of my Versys but because doing long straight roads alone is VERY BORING no matter what you are riding. It was a lesson to keep away from highway next time.

And I finished my ride with the feeling that I don't nedd a bigger bike or engine. In the trip i used about 60% of my bike motor of the most part. Probably in less than 10% of the trip I use 70-80% of the engine capability. I can travel at a cruiser speed of about 140km/h (80 to 86 mph) in around 6800-7000 rpm, with no noticeable vibration of being close to the stress point of the motor. With some reserve if I need it. And I'm 1.75 meters tall and I weight about 250 pounds (I know, I need a diet).

So realistically would I need a more powerfull bike? NO!. Woul I like to have more power? for sure! The electronics would also be great. I dream with the cruise control, corner ABs and the electronic suspension and some more bells ans wistles. But the excuse that you need a bigger engine/bike to do longer trips is most of the times a way to justify to yourself the money you are spending or to not go on a bit jorney because you are affraid.

Sorro if I didn't help woth the regrets issue. But I know that are some people here thinking on the upgrade... just wwanted to give my two cents on that. Eventually when money isn't an issue I will get one of the forementioned bikes, but just for indulgence, not for need :)

#42 ·
To be fair I haven't riden the 1000cc Versys. But the upgrade from my 650 to the 1000cc one os in my mind.
But the excuse that you need a bigger engine/bike to do longer trips is most of the times a way to justify to yourself the money you are spending or to not go on a bit jorney because you are affraid.
As someone who has taken a lot of longer trips, usually 400-500+ miles a day for 7-10 days, I agree with you that you don't NEED a larger bike but it can sure makes it more relaxing. The terrain you travel also makes a big difference, in the Western U.S. you can ride for hours with the cruise control set at 80-90mph+ and traveling at a relaxing 4k rpm vs. 8k+ rpm makes a big difference as well as having power for climbing or overtaking on a mountain pass. Likewise if you are traveling rural towns, National Parks or making a lot of stops, a smaller bike would definitely be more appealing.
There have been many scenarios where I have wanted both a larger and smaller bike while on the same trip.

#41 ·
Regarding the Seat, I replaced the stock seat on V1000 with seat concept. But I prefer the OEM gel seat. much better, in my opinion.

As to all the electronics. I have Tiger 800, and the number of electronics just annoys me. I just use the standard riding mode. Electronic windshield, electronic suspension? you are just asking for trouble. What is wrong with the manual adjustment? Simple, and it will not fail you. I met a guy with Ducati Multistrada. already from the showroom, his bike was showing error codes. I am not sure if this is the way the evolution of motorbikes should go. the engine is most important, I don't think they changed anything from the 2016 model I have.

#46 ·
yes, i heard about the complains regarding the quick shifter. I just fitted Translogic QS to my 650, and it is fun. So I was considering to get Healtech QS to my 2016 1000. What do you mean by short gearing? I think the older model has the same gearing, and I have no problem with it. Fitting a larger front sprocket or smaller rear would solve this problem for you, if you don't like the OEM set up.

#47 ·
short gearing means at 70 MPH the bike @6th gear is buzzing at 4000 RPM... same thing i had with my 2014 Ninja 1000. If you take a long trip on a freeway that is not ideal to be when you have cars and trucks doing 85 ... I’m going to check with a dealer on it while still in warranty.... I had traded in a 2020 kawasaki vulcan.... and really I’m done hopefully with kawaski after this Versys... look how smooth the Yamaha tracer’s QS

#48 ·
I purchased my 2020 v1k about a month ago. Yep, the gearing is shorter than what I had been used to on the ST1300, but just about everything else is a positive step up. Nimble, less weight, less heat, comfortable sitting position, etc. I tested the Tracer and thought it was really buzzy among other things. Kind of like being a JV team compared to the varsity Versys. And I don't have a problem with the quick shifter either. I guess that is why there are different bikes for different people.

#51 ·
As to quickshifter, the one I have on 650 can work even from 1st to 2nd gear, but it is smoother to use in higher gears.
yes, I read somewhere that changing sprockets messes a bit with the Tractions control. Not sure if this is true. I don't really mind the lower gearing because the bike gives actually lower rpm that my 650. but perhaps, changing sprockets could be a good idea to save some fuel on highway.

As to Tracer, I had actually a test drive on that bike. I don't remember the gearing thing, but the bike was very nice. The problem is that it is not Versys 1000. It is smaller, and too sporty for my taste, far less comfortable for touring.

#56 ·
I changed my mind regarding the seat. the seat concepts is more comfortable than the gel seat and one sits deeper in the bike. I fitted also Madstad windscreen with MRA spoiler so great wind protection and no buffeting. I have the older model so not so many electronics, which I do not mind because there less things to go wrong:). i do dig the LED headlamp assembly, but then there is always something to be jealous about new models; this is how different companies tempt us to buy new bikes, or new phones, or new everything. I still consider fitting QS. the benefit of having an aftermarket one is that you can tune it to your liking, like cut off delay or shifter sensitivity.

I actually posted recently in 650 forum the comparison between 1000 and 650. Recently I like 650 more, but I love 1000 too. So I just keep both of them. Versys 650 Versus Versys 1000

#61 ·
There seem to be a lot of issues with the QS posted here and in another sandbox...... I don't find it necessary at all... why bother when there are issues with it..... I do agree the V1000 doesn't need it.
On another bike (FJR), some had replaced the original shift arm on the trans spline with a shorter version from an R1. This is a 10 minute job, and the result is a slightly shorter shift lever throw. I think the V1000 could use such an idea, but I'm not sure which Kawi model would have a shorter version..... anyone with a Z1000 or N1000 who could measure or compare shift arm lengths with the V1000?

#62 ·
RaYzerman, you are absolutely correct. QS is not needed. But it is fun. The QS does need tuning to work properly. I assume that Kawasaki does not provide this option for their new 1000. Let's not forget that tuning of QS is directly connected to the riding style. It is very different on track than on street for example.

In my 650, it works really nice; not perfect, mind you, but pretty good. I already committed myself to Healtech QS for the 1000 by paying the deposit, so I will try it. It is apparently not as good as Translogic, but you can play with setting on the phone, much more options for tuning. It has different sensor shifter, not a rod, but connected to the shifter bolt; some say that it is inferior, but it is certainly much easier to install. If I come to regret getting it, this is not the first and not the last time that I spend money for things that I do not need :)

As to a shorter link rod, the one in 1000 is already pretty short. Short means also less leverage. Initially, Translogic send me a link for 650 that was much shorter than the OEM, and it created a problem with upshifting; it was so damm hard. Now, as they were nice enough to replace it, I have a similar length of the connecting rod as the stock one, and shifting is much easier. This is what I can say from my limited experience.

#64 ·
Absolutely no regrets after buying my 2019 V1K about 2.5 years ago. Put on about 26K miles with no issues. The bike has gotten me home safely even in horrendous rain and below freezing weather. Super fun riding curvy country roads on the V1K all while getting around 48mpg (drops quite a bit at higher speeds though). Cruise control works but is a little "soft", ie. speeds can vary quite a bit, and the quick shift is clunky in the lower gears. The plastic can be a bit buzzy but that's what chopped up bicycle inner tubes are for ;) . These are all minor things, and even though not perfect, cruise control is such a great feature, especially as I get older. The only other thing is at high speeds, >80mph with wind or passing big trucks, the bike does get tossed around a bit. Not an issue for me though because that's a very small portion of my riding and am careful when riding in those conditions. Again, no regrets. Hope I can stay healthy enough to keep riding this bike for years to come!
Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Plant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.