2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ regrets? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ regrets?

I put a deposit down on a new 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ and will (hopefully) be sealing the deal in a couple weeks. I currently own a 2012 Versys 650 that will remain my daily commuter but the 1000 SE would be for trips, fun rides, with and without a passenger. As much as I enjoy the 650, itís just not very comfortable for extended rides.

Asking any owners of a 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+, do you have any regrets with your purchase? Are you happy with your decision? Iíve read and watched countless reviews, almost all very positive but thought it would be a great data point to hear feedback from actual owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
I put a deposit down on a new 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ and will (hopefully) be sealing the deal in a couple weeks. I currently own a 2012 Versys 650 that will remain my daily commuter but the 1000 SE would be for trips, fun rides, with and without a passenger. As much as I enjoy the 650, itís just not very comfortable for extended rides.

Asking any owners of a 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+, do you have any regrets with your purchase? Are you happy with your decision? Iíve read and watched countless reviews, almost all very positive but thought it would be a great data point to hear feedback from actual owners.
I don't have the 2019, but I can assure you that the seat the one I sat on is the same as my 2016. If you are serious about only using it for long trips, that'll be one of your first upgrades. The factory seat is only good for about 2 hours at a time.
Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I don't have the 2019, but I can assure you that the seat the one I sat on is the same as my 2016. If you are serious about only using it for long trips, that'll be one of your first upgrades. The factory seat is only good for about 2 hours at a time.
Thanks! Looks like I will be contacting Terry's Custom Seats again ...
52Degrees likes this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:42 AM

Garage
I have owned my 19 Versys SE for 11 months now and have almost 8k miles on it. In the beginning I thought it was a bit expensive and that I did not need all the electronic wiz bang gizmos. Now I have no regrets other than I am pissed at Kaw for not giving us the beautiful green color for 2019 instead it now comes out in 2020. A year too late. As far as the bike is concerned, I still don't need all the electronic Gizmos ..... But they are sure nice to have. You will forget about the cost and as some one said "You can't take it with you" So go spend your kids inheritance. I might add. No issues at all. As far as the seat, that is so subjective. I have a Walmart pad on mine and have no issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_4093.jpg (68.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4794 (2).jpg (76.9 KB, 34 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
13 DL650 V-Strom ( )
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chucksklrst; 01-31-2020 at 07:45 AM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
As far as the seat, that is so subjective. I have a Walmart pad on mine and have no issues.
Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but didn't you just say something like, "don't listen to that idiot, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I modified my seat and it's fine"?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but didn't you just say something like, "don't listen to that idiot, he doesn't know what he's talking about. I modified my seat and it's fine"?
No I said that seats are a subjective item, just like every thing else about Motorcycles, oil, tires, windshields etc. Made no reference to anybody or anybody's seat. Only spoke of my own seat. And no where did I use disparaging terms.

13 DL650 V-Strom ( )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

@chucksklrst

Great comments. One of the things I'm looking forward to is cruise control and the ability to set the suspension settings (electronically). Beautiful pictures and really like the nickname of your V1000!
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by HelloFrom2012Versys650; 01-31-2020 at 10:05 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Looks like I will be contacting Terry's Custom Seats again ...
As of a couple of weeks ago when I ordered mine he was out to May.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...As much as I enjoy the 650, itís just not very comfortable for extended rides....
Did you try raising the front of your seat? Mine have been GREAT for VERY long rides w/ it raised.

Quote:
Quote:
No I said that seats are a subjective item, just like every thing else about Motorcycles, oil, tires, windshields etc. Made no reference to anybody or anybody's seat. Only spoke of my own seat. And no where did I use disparaging terms.
I think, to use a Brit term - 52Degrees was just taking a Mickey out on you.

52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 02:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

I think, to use a Brit term - 52Degrees was just taking a Mickey out on you.

I was. I was screwing around because I thought it was funny. Inflection is difficult with text. Plus I was at the gym, so I kept it abbreviated.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 2016 V-1K had an 09 V-650. I like the newer Versy 1K but if i was going to shuck out the price i would get a bike with shaft drive and an adjustable windscreen....
Shibumik and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

ďThe difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.Ē Ė Albert Einstein
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have a 2016 V-1K had an 09 V-650. I like the newer Versy 1K but if i was going to shuck out the price i would get a bike with shaft drive and an adjustable windscreen....
X2 on the shaft drive. I'm not doing chain drive again, with so many really good alternatives available.

For the price they want for the new V1, I'll likely switch to an R1250GSA.
Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 PM

Garage
Is that a tank bag on your Versys? Iíve got the exact same bike and cannot find a tank bag that says it will fit the 2019 SE LT+.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
X2 on the shaft drive. I'm not doing chain drive again, with so many really good alternatives available.

For the price they want for the new V1, I'll likely switch to an R1250GSA.
I am fascinated with the 2015 or so Triumph Trophy in boring blue, it has a comfy seat. 3 cylinder 1200 and too heavy. That would be my longer range bike if I did not have, a job,a Versys and bills to pay
52Degrees likes this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Did you try raising the front of your seat? Mine have been GREAT for VERY long rides w/ it raised.

:
I went with a bucket seat from Terry's custom seats. Love it, it made a world of difference! Can now easily ride a couple of hours. Still doesn't help with many of the rough roads around here. Really tough on my lower back. New/different rear shock would have been the next modification. If I were 30 years younger this probably wouldn't be an issue!
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 09:34 AM

I have three regrets:

1. I could probably get a better deal now vs last december (seems prices dropped about $500+)

2. I knew on the test ride that the footpegs were a bit high for me, but I thought it would be easy to get a footpeg lowering kit, like it was easy to do on my vstrom.

It is not. I did manage to find a kit off of ebay that lowered the pegs 1.5 inches, but it wasn't perfect, it put my feet out a bit, so I was pigeon toed to get to the controls, and when I lowered the rear brake to fit, it interfered with the cruise control and stopped the cruise control from working.

So I am back to the original pegs, and working on my knees with stretching and strengthening. Maybe highway pegs on the crash bars (once I get them installed) will work for occasional leg stretching on long rides.

3. I regret not giving my bike a complete 20 minute going over before I drove it off. I did a quick test ride, it was like the bike I rode before, and it looked ok. The salesman and I spent most of our time figuring out how to bluetooth the bike to my phone. After that I noticed that it has a few fit and finish issues that if I had noticed at the dealer, I would have made the dealer give me a different bike. I may see what the dealer is willing to do warranty wise, but they aren't big issues. My windscreen seems to be more yellow that it should be, the side panels fit differently, the right side has a much bigger gap to the tank than the left, and the right saddlebag is finicky about locking and doesn't close as tightly as the left one, it also seems looser on the mount.

So my advice is to make the best deal you can. You shouldn't pay more than $14,500 now, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb before you accept it, and do a long enough test ride to test the ergonomics.

But this is my first inline four, and once I finally broke it in, and took traction control off, the dam thing keeps trying to lift the front wheel, even at 50 mph !

And this is hands down, the best handling bike I've had in the last 40 years. It feels almost as nimble and falls into turns as well as my duke 690. (it is, of course, nowhere near as flickable though)

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: HAPPY TO SEE LIKES ARE IN OPERATION AGAIN!!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM

Garage
One of our first investments were AirHawks. Money well spent. The 1000 seats tear your butt up.
52Degrees likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Garage
Hopefully I don't piss anybody off here but I have couple of comments about the chain drive versus shaft drive. I have been a shaft guy my whole riding career until I got old. (I am 70 now) I was a die hard shafty person. Would not own a large bike with out shaft drive. Rode shaft bikes excursively until recently. Any bike I owned larger than a 750 and up must have shaft. V45 Saber, VT1100C, ST1100, R100GS, ST1300, FJR1300, only my dirt bikes and duel sport bikes had chains. Over the years what I found out is that, Yes, shafts do not need as much daily ride maint. as chain but when it comes time to do a U-joint repair, or rear drive repair on a shaft the cost of parts and of labor will catch up with any chain drive I have owned. Don't get me wrong, I still like shaft bikes, as I still own my FJR1300 42000 miles and no issues except preventive maint. lubing the splines occasionally. Fortunately I do all my own maint. or the labor cost on my bikes would be outrageous. What I am finding out now that I have a few years on me is that weight is becoming an issue. Not mine the bikes. Once I became use to chains and lubing the chain after each 200 mile day ride became a habit, the chain and sprockets have not been a problem. My chain and sprockets of my V-stroms and my KLR60 have lasted in excess of 30K miles and only cost a couple hundred bucks to replace with a couple of hours in the garage with a beer or two. I also do a cleaning of the chain during routine oil changes. Riding in the dirt requires a bit more care, but I am getting to old for that, and don't do a lot riding off pavement anymore. Don't get me wrong, shaft drive bikes are great but don't be afraid of chain drive just because. I still own my FJR, but it is getting heavier every year. My new Versys SE is my FJR replacement. ( I just have not brought myself to sell it yet) The Versys is almost 100 lbs lighter than the FJR. I won't even go into the Horse Power and Performance issues of a shaft vs. a chain drive. Different subject different day. Ride safe and have fun regardless. That is what it is all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_4114.jpg (67.2 KB, 18 views)

13 DL650 V-Strom ( )

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-08-2020 at 03:37 PM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hopefully I don't piss anybody off here but I have couple of comments about the chain drive versus shaft drive. I have been a shaft guy my whole riding career until I got old. (I am 70 now) I was a die hard shafty person. Would not own a large bike with out shaft drive. Rode shaft bikes excursively until recently. Any bike I owned larger than a 750 and up must have shaft. V45 Saber, VT1100C, ST1100, R100GS, ST1300, FJR1300, only my dirt bikes and duel sport bikes had chains. Over the years what I found out is that, Yes, shafts do not need as much daily ride maint. as chain but when it comes time to do a U-joint repair, or rear drive repair on a shaft the cost of parts and of labor will catch up with any chain drive I have owned. Don't get me wrong, I still like shaft bikes, as I still own my FJR1300 42000 miles and no issues except preventive maint. lubing the splines occasionally. Fortunately I do all my own maint. or the labor cost on my bikes would be outrageous. What I am finding out now that I have a few years on me is that weight is becoming an issue. Not mine the bikes. Once I became use to chains and lubing the chain after each 200 mile day ride became a habit, the chain and sprockets have not been a problem. My chain and sprockets of my V-stroms and my KLR60 have lasted in excess of 30K miles and only cost a couple hundred bucks to replace with a couple of hours in the garage with a beer or two. I also do a cleaning of the chain during routine oil changes. Riding in the dirt requires a bit more care, but I am getting to old for that, and don't do a lot riding off pavement anymore. Don't get me wrong, shaft drive bikes are great but don't be afraid of chain drive just because. I still own my FJR, but it is getting heaver every year. My new Versys SE is my FJR replacement. ( I just have not brought myself to sell it yet) The Versys is almost 100 lbs lighter than the FJR. I won't even go into the Horse Power and Performance issues of a shaft vs. a chain drive. Different subject different day. Ride safe and have fun regardless. That is what it is all about.
Hey, ride your own ride, your own way. I have nothing really against chain drive for most applications. For me, the way I ride, it's not great. I've had a chain break on me before, so I have that experience in mind as well...

I use my Versys primarily for commuting, and chain drive kinda sucks for that. Lots of agriculture equals dust and grit in the air, so maintenance becomes a serious chore.

I'd prefer a shaft drive or even a belt drive for my particular needs, and those aren't really possibilities on this bike, which I believe to be a shortcoming given the natural use of a Versys.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:28 PM

Garage
made the same change, FJR1300 to my present versys 1000LT. i have no regrets. enjoying the lighter bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode