2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ regrets? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just remember O-ring and X-ring chains are sealed with grease inside them so basically all the chain lube is doing is conditioning the outside of those O or X rings and keeping rust away. I rode 1650 miles in Utah and Colorado in 7 days and lubed lightly with Silkolene Pro Chain (Totally Synthetic) at about 700 miles and never had any change in adjustment or dryness. Of course before I left I put my 2015 Versys 650LT on a rear spool stand, let it idle in first gear (not safe) and sprayed the chain with a pump bottle of Kerosene while using a Grunge Brush switching positions to get the backside of the chain also. I then dry with a rag and blow compressed air lightly on it to remove all kerosene and then lightly lube with Silkolene because it doesn't take but one round of the chain to lube. You should get better fuel mileage and HP to the rear wheel with a chain also! I will never own a shaft drive motorcycle just my ATV.
onewizard and chid like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi-kawa View Post
Is that a tank bag on your Versys? I’ve got the exact same bike and cannot find a tank bag that says it will fit the 2019 SE LT+.
If you're still looking for a tank bag I use the Kreiga 20L as a tank bag on mine. It is just small enough in width to not hit the handlebars at full lock. I'll also throw a 5L sack on top of the 20L that holds our rain gear when we are on a long trip.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I'd prefer a shaft drive or even a belt drive for my particular needs, and those aren't really possibilities on this bike, which I believe to be a shortcoming given the natural use of a Versys.
Anyone tried a belt drive on a Versys?
52Degrees likes this.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Haven't seen one.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Haven't seen one.
You are a good mechanic so I was wondering why you didnt think it was possible....
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
You are a good mechanic so I was wondering why you didnt think it was possible....
To do so (IF memory serves) you need TOTAL ACCESS to your swing-arm from the left side to be able to REMOVE and RE-INSTALL the ONE-PIECE belt.

Probably would be a PITA!

52Degrees likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
To do so (IF memory serves) you need TOTAL ACCESS to your swing-arm from the left side to be able to REMOVE and RE-INSTALL the ONE-PIECE belt.

Probably would be a PITA!

I haven't yet had time to remove the fuel tank, much less and mods or electrical experimentation.

And I just started a new job, too.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Following up on a thread I started … picked up the 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ in early March 2020. So far no regrets (but a few things that need to be taken care of!). Have ~2K mikes on it so far.

The bike rides like a dream, very smooth even over really nasty roads. Adjustable electronic suspension can be changed on the fly. Cruise control is really nice and works well on flat roads but does wander a bit going up/down hills. Comparing to the Versys 650 the bike is quite a bit wider and provides better wind protection. There is also more heat that comes off the motor (not bad – just there). Between the heat and wind protection I was able to ride with temperatures just above freezing whereas, suited up the same way on the Versys 650 was good to about 40F (just not as hardcore as some of you!)

The motor is so smooth and pulls good even at very low revs. Averaging around 43MPG. Can get better when riding slower on county roads but it’s crazy how low the MPG can drop when doing 80MPH into a stiff head wind and slight elevation rise (saw instantaneous readings in the very high 20’s). On the other hand doing 80MPH into a stiff head wind is nothing for the 1000 Versys. Never owned a liter bike before so the power came as quite a surprise. It’s definitely fast but is so smooth that it didn’t seem that fast, until you look at the spedo – yikes! This thing puts out ~118HP, can’t even imagine what those 180HP bikes would be like.

Kind of undecided on the quick shift. Makes the shifter very spongy – weird until you get used to it. Not sure the added complexity is worth it. There is definitely buffeting on my helmet even with the screen set to max height. Have a Puig windscreen on order – will see how that works out. The bike is big and tall (again – never owned a bike this big before) so its taken a while to get used to it. Need to lift my leg really high to get it over the bike. Sometimes I don’t quite make it! Handles well but nowhere as confidence inspiring as the Versys 650. Even with the weight, I was surprised at how the wind can push it around. Was riding with 30MPH sustained winds with higher gusts (at a right angle to the bike) and definitely got slapped around but still felt in control at all times. Lots to learn on the display and controls. Took a while to remember how to do all the settings (and what they are for). Another minor thing is the side cases rattle but there may be some simple fixes for that.

Did have one tense moment, merging onto an expressway (speed limit 70MPH – everyone does 80MPH plus), behind a driver that forgot where the gas pedal was and traffic bearing down on the lanes we were merging onto. To make things more interesting there were very high winds at a right angle to the bike. I hammered the throttle and started making my way around the slower vehicle and crossed into an adjacent lane. Just as I got into the next lane, around 80MPH under hard acceleration, the bike got into a high speed wobble. Nothing serious and damped out quickly but still was disconcerting for me. Never ever had a hint of speed wobble on the Versys 650. Definitely need to spend time on experimenting with suspension settings. For what it’s worth the bike was set to ROAD mode, single rider preload.

As many others warned, the seat (for me) just does not work! Had the same issues with the Versys 650. Forward slope and very hard. Appears my “bottom” and Kawasaki seats are just incompatible. Doing a lot of standing on the pegs after a half hour of riding. Too bad, it really limits time in the saddle. Tried the Air Hawk but it didn’t help. Need a bucket seat like from Terry or somewhere else.

So overall, no regrets. Once a new seat is in place and get the suspension settings sorted out, should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200325_144435_resized.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	169361   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_175213_resized.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	169363  
52Degrees likes this.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 12:43 AM

i had my seat carved out like a saddle so it don't push my jewels into the tank, works great

Living Large
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
It's impossible

You would have to cut the crossmember on the left side of the swingarm

It was explained to me in detail by Invader a few years ago

I didn't understood until I went in the garage and check the ''path'' of the chain

LOP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VSwingarm.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	169377  
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
Following up on a thread I started … picked up the 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+ in early March 2020. So far no regrets (but a few things that need to be taken care of!). Have ~2K mikes on it so far.

The bike rides like a dream, very smooth even over really nasty roads. Adjustable electronic suspension can be changed on the fly. Cruise control is really nice and works well on flat roads but does wander a bit going up/down hills. Comparing to the Versys 650 the bike is quite a bit wider and provides better wind protection. There is also more heat that comes off the motor (not bad – just there). Between the heat and wind protection I was able to ride with temperatures just above freezing whereas, suited up the same way on the Versys 650 was good to about 40F (just not as hardcore as some of you!)

The motor is so smooth and pulls good even at very low revs. Averaging around 43MPG. Can get better when riding slower on county roads but it’s crazy how low the MPG can drop when doing 80MPH into a stiff head wind and slight elevation rise (saw instantaneous readings in the very high 20’s). On the other hand doing 80MPH into a stiff head wind is nothing for the 1000 Versys. Never owned a liter bike before so the power came as quite a surprise. It’s definitely fast but is so smooth that it didn’t seem that fast, until you look at the spedo – yikes! This thing puts out ~118HP, can’t even imagine what those 180HP bikes would be like.

Kind of undecided on the quick shift. Makes the shifter very spongy – weird until you get used to it. Not sure the added complexity is worth it. There is definitely buffeting on my helmet even with the screen set to max height. Have a Puig windscreen on order – will see how that works out. The bike is big and tall (again – never owned a bike this big before) so its taken a while to get used to it. Need to lift my leg really high to get it over the bike. Sometimes I don’t quite make it! Handles well but nowhere as confidence inspiring as the Versys 650. Even with the weight, I was surprised at how the wind can push it around. Was riding with 30MPH sustained winds with higher gusts (at a right angle to the bike) and definitely got slapped around but still felt in control at all times. Lots to learn on the display and controls. Took a while to remember how to do all the settings (and what they are for). Another minor thing is the side cases rattle but there may be some simple fixes for that.

Did have one tense moment, merging onto an expressway (speed limit 70MPH – everyone does 80MPH plus), behind a driver that forgot where the gas pedal was and traffic bearing down on the lanes we were merging onto. To make things more interesting there were very high winds at a right angle to the bike. I hammered the throttle and started making my way around the slower vehicle and crossed into an adjacent lane. Just as I got into the next lane, around 80MPH under hard acceleration, the bike got into a high speed wobble. Nothing serious and damped out quickly but still was disconcerting for me. Never ever had a hint of speed wobble on the Versys 650. Definitely need to spend time on experimenting with suspension settings. For what it’s worth the bike was set to ROAD mode, single rider preload.

As many others warned, the seat (for me) just does not work! Had the same issues with the Versys 650. Forward slope and very hard. Appears my “bottom” and Kawasaki seats are just incompatible. Doing a lot of standing on the pegs after a half hour of riding. Too bad, it really limits time in the saddle. Tried the Air Hawk but it didn’t help. Need a bucket seat like from Terry or somewhere else.

So overall, no regrets. Once a new seat is in place and get the suspension settings sorted out, should be good to go.
Congrats on the purchase! I'm also looking to get either 1000 or 650, and I'm on the fence which one to get. I'm 6'3" and 34" inseam, and hate buffeting: would you mind sharing your "body stats"? Also, did you find yourself in need of more oomph on Versys 650 when going 80+? This is about the max speed I would go anyway, but it is nice to know that you have a reserve to overtake/get away from a cager.

From your explanation, I've understood that 650 is a lot more flickable/nimble, but required higher revs at highway speeds: do you find it lacking in that department? I'm about 200 LB, and usually ride alone, and quite often ride with lots of luggage. My current bike (Suzuki C50) is fine most of the times, but it is really designed to go up to 65 MPH; after that the engine is struggling, and the whole thing shakes like a hammer drill.

Thank you and enjoy your new ride!
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanc50 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I'm also looking to get either 1000 or 650, and I'm on the fence which one to get. I'm 6'3" and 34" inseam, and hate buffeting: would you mind sharing your "body stats"? Also, did you find yourself in need of more oomph on Versys 650 when going 80+? This is about the max speed I would go anyway, but it is nice to know that you have a reserve to overtake/get away from a cager.

From your explanation, I've understood that 650 is a lot more flickable/nimble, but required higher revs at highway speeds: do you find it lacking in that department? I'm about 200 LB, and usually ride alone, and quite often ride with lots of luggage. My current bike (Suzuki C50) is fine most of the times, but it is really designed to go up to 65 MPH; after that the engine is struggling, and the whole thing shakes like a hammer drill.

Thank you and enjoy your new ride!
Thanks!!! About 210lbs (on a good day ), 5'11", 32" inseam, getting close to 60yrs old. Almost always ride alone. Love the Versys 650 for local riding and commuting. With the seat from Terry Adcox I could ride for at least a couple of hours before my back started hurting. I'm always amazed at how capable the 650 was, even riding at 80MPH. For me though, one short coming of the 650 was it felt like it was on the "edge" of its performance envelope at (higher) highway speeds. One of my bucket list things was/is to start taking MUCH longer trips and felt the 1000 would be better suited for that purpose (hello cruse control!). Many expressways have 70MPH limits (with everyone going at least 80MPH) and thought the 1000 would be better at doing that all day long. Was still considering keeping the 650 for commuting (keep the miles down on the 1000) but to be honest the 1000 is kind of spoiling me because it does feel so refined ... We'll see, if working from home ever ends I'll probably use the 650 for some commuting and the 1000 for fun rides, trips and some commuting. To be honest though, I've only ridden the 650 once since I got the 1000.

One last thing I forgot to mention, I do a lot of commuting at night (work weird hours) - the lighting on the (2019) 1000 is incredible. The LED head lights and cornering lights really do a good job. Comes in handy when dodging possums, raccoons and other assorted critters.

Hope this helps.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
Thanks!!! About 210lbs (on a good day ), 5'11", 32" inseam, getting close to 60yrs old. Almost always ride alone. Love the Versys 650 for local riding and commuting. With the seat from Terry Adcox I could ride for at least a couple of hours before my back started hurting. I'm always amazed at how capable the 650 was, even riding at 80MPH. For me though, one short coming of the 650 was it felt like it was on the "edge" of its performance envelope at (higher) highway speeds. One of my bucket list things was/is to start taking MUCH longer trips and felt the 1000 would be better suited for that purpose (hello cruse control!). Many expressways have 70MPH limits (with everyone going at least 80MPH) and thought the 1000 would be better at doing that all day long. Was still considering keeping the 650 for commuting (keep the miles down on the 1000) but to be honest the 1000 is kind of spoiling me because it does feel so refined ... We'll see, if working from home ever ends I'll probably use the 650 for some commuting and the 1000 for fun rides, trips and some commuting. To be honest though, I've only ridden the 650 once since I got the 1000.

One last thing I forgot to mention, I do a lot of commuting at night (work weird hours) - the lighting on the (2019) 1000 is incredible. The LED head lights and cornering lights really do a good job. Comes in handy when dodging possums, raccoons and other assorted critters.

Hope this helps.
It does help! Sounds like I would want the 1000 version. I have a set of Denali DR1 1.0 on my bike, and totally dig the extra illumination, especially when riding in areas without street lights. With my inseam, I probably would be more comfortable on a 1000 as well. Once you get the seat situation sorted out, it will probably be uber nice for long distance riding. I have an Ultimate seat on my cruiser, and it makes a big difference in comfort (it is also expensive). I do want the refined feel when I'm riding riding - another plus for 1000.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 12:06 AM

Garage
I’ve got the same exact bike. I’m 61 with sore hips. I need to sand on the peg to get in the saddle but that’s alright with me.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"...Maurice Switzer

“If you don’t know where your going, any road will take you there”...Cheshire Cat (Alice In Wonderland)
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanc50 View Post
...Also, did you find yourself in need of more oomph on Versys 650 when going 80+?...
In my 155,000+ miles among three V650s, I've never had a problem cranking on the power at speeds above 80, even loaded down w/ camping gear. I'm about 175# PLUS ATGATT, so probably about 200#.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
In my 155,000+ miles among three V650s, I've never had a problem cranking on the power at speeds above 80, even loaded down w/ camping gear. I'm about 175# PLUS ATGATT, so probably about 200#.

Sounds good, thank you for sharing your experience!
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench222 View Post
Just remember O-ring and X-ring chains are sealed with grease inside them so basically all the chain lube is doing is conditioning the outside of those O or X rings and keeping rust away. I rode 1650 miles in Utah and Colorado in 7 days and lubed lightly with Silkolene Pro Chain (Totally Synthetic) at about 700 miles and never had any change in adjustment or dryness. Of course before I left I put my 2015 Versys 650LT on a rear spool stand, let it idle in first gear (not safe) and sprayed the chain with a pump bottle of Kerosene while using a Grunge Brush switching positions to get the backside of the chain also. I then dry with a rag and blow compressed air lightly on it to remove all kerosene and then lightly lube with Silkolene because it doesn't take but one round of the chain to lube. You should get better fuel mileage and HP to the rear wheel with a chain also! I will never own a shaft drive motorcycle just my ATV.
It's funny that I just saw this comment now, check my chain cleaning solution: ChainBath
ChainBath- new chain cleaning device and method

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode