Looking to borrow ECU from 2017 or 2018 Versys 1000 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Let me say, if I had a V1000 and was within 500 KM you would be seeing me with my bike.
That's an extremely kind offer! We are too far away from each other but I'm 100% sure you deeply mean it.

Quote:
So where I am going with this post, it is very admiral to withhold the name, in the hopes this guy comes through for you. I would suggest giving him a link to this thread, no membership is required to view this. I would say that what you describe is 100 % true and you haven't left anything out. I think you realize this forum is a good place to belong to. Even though this is a V1000 thread, the experience may help others on this forum.
As you said, all I wrote is 100% true, at least at the height of my undertsanding of the remap process. I'm no expert at all but I'm an engineer by trade and I can analyse technical discussions.
My goal here is not to expose the guy that made the mistake on my ECU. My goal is to find a solution to this very unpleasing situation. Thanks again guys for your support! It is really appreciated.
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh BTW, some guys (another forum) suggested to visit a Kawasaki dealer thinking they could erase the error code or download the OEM map back in my ECU.
So, FYI, I'm just back from the closest Kawasaki dealer and there's nothing he can do. He said only motocrossers and some hypersport models have changeable ECU "sticks" with some pre-programmed maps.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What is the error code you get, the test is the same as for the 650 ABS, pushing the left meter button (while in km mode,total mileage registered on bike) and holding the button for 2 or more seconds. The code is displayed lower right of the meter. They may be a way to cheat and tell the ECU that a canister is attached, this has been done, supplying the correct voltage input using a resistor, just going by memory here.
Glen, the error code I get is "3A".
According to repair manual this code is for:
"Purge valve malfunction, wiring open, or short to ground or power supply wire".

The purge valve is an emission part that only California bikes have; I can see it on the wiring diagram for "equipped bikes" (ie: California)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Claude- your English is PDG!*

*PDG - Pretty darned good.
Thanks!!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Claude, I think I posted that I expected it was the carbon canister. same deal. Yeah, those cali bikes screw everything up!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Looked Up Drawing

Well this is one of those cases that you would need to waste about 7 watts of energy to fix the problem.I found some information on the Purge valve, 30 to 34 ohms at 68'F. The problem is it draws about 417 milliamp at 14.2 VDC, which is 5.93 watts. You would need a 10 watt resistor at 30 to 34 ohms , or two 5 watt resistors at 60 to 68 ohms. The way it works is the ECU has shunt resistor that measure voltage drop, let us say 0.1 ohms, so when the purge plug is connected and drawing 417 milliamp the ECU sees 4.17 VDC. My preference would be to get the ECU flash corrected. Just saying, that likely will clear the fault.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well this is one of those cases that you would need to waste about 7 watts of energy to fix the problem.I found some information on the Purge valve, 30 to 34 ohms at 68'F. The problem is it draws about 417 milliamp at 14.2 VDC, which is 5.93 watts. You would need a 10 watt resistor at 30 to 34 ohms , or two 5 watt resistors at 60 to 68 ohms. The way it works is the ECU has shunt resistor that measure voltage drop, let us say 0.1 ohms, so when the purge plug is connected and drawing 417 milliamp the ECU sees 4.17 VDC. My preference would be to get the ECU flash corrected. Just saying, that likely will clear the fault.
This is an option that has been mentionned in another forum where I wrote the same request (to borrow an ECU).
Looks like it could work. I even looked to the cost of buying the missing purge valve but I'm not sure my ECU do have the #13 pin where the valve's Red/Yellow wire is to be connected. If I ever choose this option, I will wait my bike to be winter stored and will take the ECU off to look for this #13 pin. But, honestly, I would prefer to solve the problem at the root than converting my bike to California specs only because of the bin file downloaded in my ECU.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

All this being written, today, I spoke with the tuner I dealt with. Looks like he did not forget me as he told me he found the ECU I need that he will borrow from the Kawasaki dealer he knows the owner of.
He will have it sent oversea to Woolich's for them to read the bin file that he will finally download back in my ECU.

All in all, he admitted the first step for him should have been to send my ECU to Woolich the day he received it. He was sorry about this and I believe him.
This guy do have a lot of experience and if all ends well (as both him and I are hoping), this will be a closed case. I don't want to tell who he is as anybody can make mistakes.

To be followed (hopefully before the end of 2019...).
onewizard likes this.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
We all make mistakes. The measure of a man is if he admits it and makes it right. I like what I'm reading.

I also wanted to add that for those of us flashing, there really is no book or even guidelines on how to do this stuff. A lot of it is trial and error. After a while you get the hang of it, but for the most part you need to be very self reliant. Because Woolich is widely available, "tuner" are going to pup up all over the place. It's going to take a determined person who understands customer service to make it flashing ECU's. Those who are disreputable will fall by the wayside pretty quickly.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Steve in Sunny Fl; 10-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode