Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Nashcat
  • 1 Post By bradr
  • 2 Post By bradr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suggestion on Engine Guard Bags

Trying to get some more storage on the Versys for some longer trips to reclaim some of the lost storage capacity that we had on the ST1300 (our previous bike.)

On the plus side, we can fit a 20L tank bag on the Versys instead of the tiny 10L tank bag that we could fit on the ST1300.

I've recently ordered the Givi Engine Guards for the bike as when looking at the pictures it looks like they will accomodate bags better than the sw-motech ones.

Has anyone done this before, or has any suggestions for bags that I am not considering?

I'm looking at both the Givi Engine Guard Bags and the Kreiga US-10. I already have a Kreiga US-10 so I would only need to buy a single bag which makes both options about the same price for me. I'm currently leaning towards the Kreiga bags as I've had very good luck with their products and the Givi bags don't get the best reviews (reports of them failing on trips, tearing, etc...) The main benefit for the Givi is that I do not need to make straps, although I've made webbing straps for things in the past so it's not too big of an issue for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 08:51 PM

Garage
Iím using tank panniers from Aerostich on my 650 Vstrom on the engine guards and also use them across the back seat of my 2018 Wing, when Iím going camping. Good quality, heavy material.

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html
quexpress and Tcruarceri like this.

Waitiní on the boatman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

In the end, I went with a pair of Kreiga 30L bags, they mount direct to the Givi Engine Guards without any extra straps or hardware. The aerostitch ones look like a good option that I didn't see at the time.
Tcruarceri likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradr View Post
Thanks for the reply.

In the end, I went with a pair of Kreiga 30L bags, they mount direct to the Givi Engine Guards without any extra straps or hardware. The aerostitch ones look like a good option that I didn't see at the time.

Any photos with them mounted?

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Here are is a photo with both the US-20 and US-30 mounted. The bags slim down when you put less in them and the provided good wind weather protection when installed (of course this makes your legs warmer in the heat.)

Side view of the 30L
quexpress and Tcruarceri like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Probably nice to keep the weight down low... I might keep this in mind if I ever need that little more storage. Thanks for responding with the photos. Beautiful bike.

2018 Versys 650 ABS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

It provides more than enough storage for what we need, I think that the best part of it is your ability to control the weight loading better when you go on a trip. On our way back from a 6 day trip last September it allowed us to hit up the grocery store on the way back to pick up some food for the week so that we didn't have to go out again after we got home.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradr View Post
Here are is a photo with both the US-20 and US-30 mounted.

Side view of the 30L
That bike looks awesome.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I really don't have a need on the Versys but the KLR needed storage help as the side bags are Pelican 1430-s. I wound up using smaller tank pannier bags designed for an ATV. Built in tank straps, sturdy construction and just enough extra storage.

Bonus: They are very frugal.

Not sure how they would work on the Versys but I could still use a magnetic tank bag on the KLR. Did I mention that they are very frugal?

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode