Flat tires suck - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Flat tires suck

Headed home from work after fueling up, rear got suddenly squirrely coming around a bend. Couldn't figure it out for a couple of minutes. I guess whatever punctured me got pulled out.

Wife is enroute with a repair kit and my compressor. Hope I can get home without further issues.

I reckon I'll be replacing that tire sooner than previously anticipated.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Made it home. Ordered a tire and a li-ion battery powered compressor.

Only got like 11k miles out of that tire. Kinda bummed.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
11K miles on it may NOT be great, but it's NOT TOO BAD.
Duffy, Jay_Chicago and 52Degrees like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife agreed. I waited till she got there to order it, and she sounded surprised I waited that long.

I'm seriously considering picking up a patch kit and seeing if I can run it another couple thousand miles. Also ordered a mushroom plug kit.
Fastoman and weljo2001 like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
My wife agreed. I waited till she got there to order it, and she sounded surprised I waited that long.

I'm seriously considering picking up a patch kit and seeing if I can run it another couple thousand miles. Also ordered a mushroom plug kit.

I had put a new set of PR-3's on my V-650 back in 2011. Picked up a nail in the rear tire in the first 60 miles. Plugged it with a mushroom type plug and rode it like that until it was time to replace the tires about 10,500 miles later. I keep my tire repair kit, compressor and the Drift Case with my multi-tool and pressure gauge inside it fitted nicely under my seat....

P1010524 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Fastoman and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I felt a little dumb not already having a plug kit and a compressor, what with the long rides into the boonies I've been going on. No cell service and no repair kit could have made for a pretty crappy day.

What's worse about this whole thing, my bike is at home and my wife's car in parked in the lot at my work.

I haven't driven a car to work since I bought this bike... Until today.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:16 PM

Garage
Bought my kit back in 2010. The compressor was a little pricey at $100.00 but so far its been worth every penny....

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Got a Powerlet Motorsport Jumper Cable Set also that I switch to a new bike when i get tired of the old one...https://www.powerlet.com/product/pow...per-cables/410

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I felt a little dumb not already having a plug kit and a compressor, what with the long rides into the boonies I've been going on. No cell service and no repair kit could have made for a pretty crappy day.

What's worse about this whole thing, my bike is at home and my wife's car in parked in the lot at my work.

I haven't driven a car to work since I bought this bike... Until today.
I have a tire plugging kit / compressor and a second plugging style kit, also a dedicated outlet for the compressor, live all the time. I have used it twice on my 2015 and once on the 07. The cost of a tow would have been 3 times the price of the kit, all times over 70 KM to 300 KM from home.

With the Key Off, that is a USB adapter with LED

52Degrees likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
Also keep a jump pack in the top case is if the battery needs help when I'm out alone...Whats nice about having the Jumper Cables is that the one section is already connected to the battery with the lead zip-tied to the trellis under the seat. Just connect the alligator clip section to the lead and connect to the jump pack and you never have to take your seat off to get to the battery.

Audew Jump Starter by weljo2001, on Flickr

52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for reminding me... I need to get to Costco for a jumper battery.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for reminding me... I need to get to Costco for a jumper battery.

The one i got will work on a scooter all the way up to over a 6 liter engine...

52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got a nail in my rear tire 200km away from home. Lucky it was not leaking, so I made it back home safe. It had about 5k km on it.
I bought a Dyna-plug and plugged the hole at home in 30 sec.

I have 33k now and I need to change it soon. I didn't put any extra air in the tire since I installed it!

I plugged a hole on another bike I met on the highway, it was leaking air, went to a gas station, 30 sec to take the nail out and plug it. No leaks after.

I love it that you don't need to increase the hole, no rimming, no glue, nothing. Just take the nail out, push the Dyna-plug in, and then out.
I think you need to have air in the tire though, you need to push pretty hard.
52Degrees likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
....Only got like 11k miles out of that tire. Kinda bummed.
ONLY 11k miles You're kidding, right? I thought I was lucky to get 7k miles out of my ContiMotion.
turn8a and 52Degrees like this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
ONLY 11k miles You're kidding, right? I thought I was lucky to get 7k miles out of my ContiMotion.
Not even slightly kidding, and I'm seriously disappointed. I was hoping for 15k out of it. Probably would have gotten it too, if it wasn't for those nosey kids and their dog...

My wife really doesn't want me to patch the old tire. She wants me to wait till the new tires comes in and swap them. I hate driving cars, though.

My compressor showed up, and it's tiny. I'll post a picture tonight or tomorrow after I try it out on something.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 PM

I managed 11k km, not miles ;(
tonight is showing the wires.... need to change it.
Jay_Chicago and 52Degrees like this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
'flat-tires' DON'T 'suck' - they BLOW...!

Just had to add a comment via the 'TITLE'....

52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Added to the sticker collection on my freezer on Wednesday. I was happy to see the tire arrive a day early, since I was asked to go back to work on Thursday to train yet another new driver.

Tire swapped, bead seated, bead broken on one side, 2oz balance beads added and re-seated. I like to add them that way rather than trying to get them through the valve stem.

Road tested on my way to work Thursday.

The front has 10k miles on it, and doesn't feel right in concert with the new rear. Almost unstable, unless I ride it pretty hard. I think I had the same issue the last time.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Only got like 11k miles out of that tire. Kinda bummed.
I would love to get 11k out of a set of tires.

4k is my average mileage from a set of Bridgestone S-21's and soon to be S-22's.
turn8a and 52Degrees like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Added to the sticker collection on my freezer on Wednesday. I was happy to see the tire arrive a day early, since I was asked to go back to work on Thursday to train yet another new driver.

Tire swapped, bead seated, bead broken on one side, 2oz balance beads added and re-seated. I like to add them that way rather than trying to get them through the valve stem.

Road tested on my way to work Thursday.

The front has 10k miles on it, and doesn't feel right in concert with the new rear. Almost unstable, unless I ride it pretty hard. I think I had the same issue the last time.
How do you find the 180/55R17? I use the standard 160/60R17.
52Degrees likes this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the V1k. 180 is the stock rear tire width. So, they're great. Lol.

I'm not sure it would fit a 650.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode