Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Flat tires suck

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  chachi2 
#1 ·
Headed home from work after fueling up, rear got suddenly squirrely coming around a bend. Couldn't figure it out for a couple of minutes. I guess whatever punctured me got pulled out.

Wife is enroute with a repair kit and my compressor. Hope I can get home without further issues.

I reckon I'll be replacing that tire sooner than previously anticipated.

See less See more
#5 ·
I had put a new set of PR-3's on my V-650 back in 2011. Picked up a nail in the rear tire in the first 60 miles. Plugged it with a mushroom type plug and rode it like that until it was time to replace the tires about 10,500 miles later. I keep my tire repair kit, compressor and the Drift Case with my multi-tool and pressure gauge inside it fitted nicely under my seat....

P1010524 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#6 ·
I felt a little dumb not already having a plug kit and a compressor, what with the long rides into the boonies I've been going on. No cell service and no repair kit could have made for a pretty crappy day.

What's worse about this whole thing, my bike is at home and my wife's car in parked in the lot at my work.

I haven't driven a car to work since I bought this bike... Until today.

#8 ·
I have a tire plugging kit / compressor and a second plugging style kit, also a dedicated outlet for the compressor, live all the time. I have used it twice on my 2015 and once on the 07. The cost of a tow would have been 3 times the price of the kit, all times over 70 KM to 300 KM from home.

With the Key Off, that is a USB adapter with LED

Reactions: 52Degrees
#7 ·
#9 ·
Also keep a jump pack in the top case is if the battery needs help when I'm out alone...Whats nice about having the Jumper Cables is that the one section is already connected to the battery with the lead zip-tied to the trellis under the seat. Just connect the alligator clip section to the lead and connect to the jump pack and you never have to take your seat off to get to the battery.

Audew Jump Starter by weljo2001, on Flickr

#11 ·
The one i got will work on a scooter all the way up to over a 6 liter engine...

#12 ·
I got a nail in my rear tire 200km away from home. Lucky it was not leaking, so I made it back home safe. It had about 5k km on it.
I bought a Dyna-plug and plugged the hole at home in 30 sec.

I have 33k now and I need to change it soon. I didn't put any extra air in the tire since I installed it!

I plugged a hole on another bike I met on the highway, it was leaking air, went to a gas station, 30 sec to take the nail out and plug it. No leaks after.

I love it that you don't need to increase the hole, no rimming, no glue, nothing. Just take the nail out, push the Dyna-plug in, and then out.
I think you need to have air in the tire though, you need to push pretty hard.

#17 ·
Added to the sticker collection on my freezer on Wednesday. I was happy to see the tire arrive a day early, since I was asked to go back to work on Thursday to train yet another new driver.

Tire swapped, bead seated, bead broken on one side, 2oz balance beads added and re-seated. I like to add them that way rather than trying to get them through the valve stem.

Road tested on my way to work Thursday.

The front has 10k miles on it, and doesn't feel right in concert with the new rear. Almost unstable, unless I ride it pretty hard. I think I had the same issue the last time.

#19 ·
Added to the sticker collection on my freezer on Wednesday. I was happy to see the tire arrive a day early, since I was asked to go back to work on Thursday to train yet another new driver.

Tire swapped, bead seated, bead broken on one side, 2oz balance beads added and re-seated. I like to add them that way rather than trying to get them through the valve stem.

Road tested on my way to work Thursday.

The front has 10k miles on it, and doesn't feel right in concert with the new rear. Almost unstable, unless I ride it pretty hard. I think I had the same issue the last time.
How do you find the 180/55R17? I use the standard 160/60R17.

#23 ·
a few photos with the tire that got a screw in it and I fixed it with Dyna-plug
It had approx. 5k when I had the event, and I change it yesterday at 11k km, without adding any bit of air since originally installing it.

Extra bonus, a photo with the Dynaplug head from inside the tire.

Attachments

#24 ·
When this rear gets replaced, the front will be replaced as well. It will likely still have lots of tread left.

That what happens when you spend most of your road miles doing dank nooners, I suppose.

#27 ·
Be glad they are not tubed tires. :)

I like to use Ride On liquid tire sealant. Pull out the nail and it seals fairly well.

Another more extreme solution is Rhinotire. You can drive over nails and the sport-bike tires seal instantly. They do add counterweight due to the special rubber coating inside the tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.