2Likes
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By funflyingguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Edr

hi all,

does anyone here have any knowledge of this device (electronic data recorder)? i've been reading that some manufacturers, like honda and kawasaki, have been putting these recording devices on some of their bike since maybe 2015. supposedly, they record 30 seconds of engine parms, speed, lean, braking info in a loop. it may reset when the bike is started.

anyone with firsthand knowledge of how this works, how it may have affected a warranty claim, how it may have affected a court case involving a motorcycle?

wondering......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Basically, this type of hardware has been included in cars and light trucks since somewhere around 2004, and large trucks for as long as I can think of.

GM vehicles have had some kind of event recording since the 80s, if only for diagnostic purposes. As technology has improved, so has the ability for on board computers to record events.

To give you an example, the trucks I drive at work record pretty much everything. Turn signals, speed, rpm, brake pressure, headlamp settings, seat belt usage... Some record window and mirror positions. ABS and traction control data are all fully recorded. They can tell how far each tire spun or skidded in relation to rolling tires and/or GPS positioning. They know steering wheel position and g-forces leading up to and during events. The trucks I drive even know how far ahead the next vehicle was and their speed.

Unless you are a total squid, the amount of data recorded on your bike will help you far more than hurt you in a court case. Just like that camera you know you should have running on your helmet.

There were some cases where GM rejected warranty claims after recorded data demonstrated clear negligence and abuse on the part of the operator, but those were expensive cases to win.

I've heard word stories about how motorcycle dealers handle warranty claims, and my only claim was a little odd (not something that could have been recorded by a data recorder). Generally, dealers are in business to make money. If they can submit your warranty claim to the manufacturer and get paid, they want as little to do with extracting and investigating the fine details as possible.

That said, if you've done something that clearly violates the terms of your warranty, like flashing the ecu to have no redline, then blow your motor up by over revving it, I'd expect problems. But, if your bike blew up while rolling hard on the throttle after a hard corner, or as the result of evasive maneuvers brought on by a pair of texting prius drivers trying to change lanes into each other in the space you currently occupy (not that that ever happens...), you should be fine.

Consider the economics of manufacturers fighting warranty claims. How much are the parts and labor to fix your bike compared to the cost of flying their attorney to your location, then paying him to beat you in court?

How much to motorcycle accident lawyers charge up front when going after deep pockets (think:contingency)?

Data recorders are really good at protecting consumers who just go about their normal, daily lives.
Fastoman likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

Last edited by 52Degrees; 04-08-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i've known about cars having them for a few years now...

appreciate the opinion, 52....

thanks!
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode