• 2 Post By civit
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
new bike; seat not right (for me...)

hi all,

other than the standard intro here, this is my first post.

i picked up my new 2018 V1000LT from canton, ohio this past saturday. felt generally great, switching from the 2011 yam FJR. BUT, 3 things surprised me on the ride home.

1 - the stock windscreen doesnt work well for me. i've read a few posts on here and the preferences are all over for aftermarket replacements. seems maybe the puig is popular. i'm 5'10", 185 lbs. the buffeting at freeway speeds is what i noticed. (i wear earplugs, so no issue with noise)... i'd like to minimize the buffeting.

2 - the seat is alot harder riding than it seemed sitting on it at the dealer, where it seemed to be really comfortable with my lightly padded hind end! no dealer would let me test ride; that might have raised a flag regarding the hardness. what might you all recommend other than a strap-on seat pad?

3 - i plan to add a GPS and heated grips, both preferably on a switch circuit. now i read of a switched connector for heated grips somewhere under the left sidecover i believe. it that true? (i didnt see it under there...) is there an easy connect by the gauges i could tap into, considering the power the grips (probably oxfords ) will draw?

appreciate any and all feedback. if i missed a post and these items in my searches, just point me in the right direction ...

thanks again,
jim (mentor, ohio)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyingguy View Post
hi all,

other than the standard intro here, this is my first post.

i picked up my new 2018 V1000LT from canton, ohio this past saturday. felt generally great, switching from the 2011 yam FJR. BUT, 3 things surprised me on the ride home.

1 - the stock windscreen doesnt work well for me. i've read a few posts on here and the preferences are all over for aftermarket replacements. seems maybe the puig is popular. i'm 5'10", 185 lbs. the buffeting at freeway speeds is what i noticed. (i wear earplugs, so no issue with noise)... i'd like to minimize the buffeting.

2 - the seat is alot harder riding than it seemed sitting on it at the dealer, where it seemed to be really comfortable with my lightly padded hind end! no dealer would let me test ride; that might have raised a flag regarding the hardness. what might you all recommend other than a strap-on seat pad?

3 - i plan to add a GPS and heated grips, both preferably on a switch circuit. now i read of a switched connector for heated grips somewhere under the left sidecover i believe. it that true? (i didnt see it under there...) is there an easy connect by the gauges i could tap into, considering the power the grips (probably oxfords ) will draw?

appreciate any and all feedback. if i missed a post and these items in my searches, just point me in the right direction ...

thanks again,
jim (mentor, ohio)

1. I've not found a windscreen for the Versys 1000 that compares to the overall wind management of the FJR1300. Not even close.

2. The seat? I finally broke down and got the Corbin seat. THAT cured it.

3. There's a hard to find connector under the left fairing, but I thought it was fused at 5amp. I snapped-in a 12V outlet in there. If you want to add a 12V outlet there, then get the $24 Vulcan 650 version instead of the $85 Versys 1000. Same thing, except that you get extra parts with the Vulcan 650 one.

Next

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sent my seat off to Terry Adcock. I wanted a flat seat so i could scoot back farther on the seat. Terry makes some comfortable seats.....https://www.terryscustomseats.com

Photo's of my seat...https://flic.kr/s/aHskDoWx74
Randyjaco likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

1 - the stock windscreen doesn't work well for me.

2 - the seat is a lot harder riding than it seemed sitting on it at the dealer

3 - i read of a switched connector for heated grips somewhere under the left sidecover i believe. it that true?

1. I've not found a windscreen for the Versys 1000 that compares to the overall wind management of the FJR1300. Not even close.

2. The seat? I finally broke down and got the Corbin seat. THAT cured it.

3. There's a hard to find connector under the left fairing, but I thought it was fused at 5amp. I snapped-in a 12V outlet in there. If you want to add a 12V outlet there, then get the $24 Vulcan 650 version instead of the $85 Versys 1000. Same thing, except that you get extra parts with the Vulcan 650 one. I don't know about the heated grip connection. Someone else will chime in here, shortly.

Next

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i'll check out terry's and the corbin. the pics of your finished seat from terry really look to be comfortable. may i ask roughly how much for terry's and the corbin? i have no experience with either...

no question the FJR wind protection is in a different league altogether. i expected some of that after riding the FJR for well over a year now. but i was hoping the stock windscreen by itself on the versys could be improved upon. by the way: before the FJR, i rode a vstrom 1000 for 8 or 9 years. thats pretty similar to the versys 1000 for windshield and fairing protection. if i can match that......... !

as far as the outlet goes: its under the left fairing then? i'll check that out too. is 'vulcan' the name of the manufacturer?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
i'll check out terry's and the corbin. the pics of your finished seat from terry really look to be comfortable. may i ask roughly how much for terry's and the corbin? i have no experience with either...

no question the FJR wind protection is in a different league altogether. i expected some of that after riding the FJR for well over a year now. but i was hoping the stock windscreen by itself on the versys could be improved upon. by the way: before the FJR, i rode a vstrom 1000 for 8 or 9 years. thats pretty similar to the versys 1000 for windshield and fairing protection. if i can match that......... !

as far as the outlet goes: its under the left fairing then? i'll check that out too. is 'vulcan' the name of the manufacturer?

Post #7 has the price it cost me..https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ved-today.html
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Garage
I went with the Koso Apollo Heated Grips i purchased off Amazon...Pretty simple install and a clean look and they work great. I tapped into a switched line under the seat also have my GPS on the same line...

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ted-grips.html

Wiring info...

Tapped into The Tail Light & License Plate Light....Heres the Wire color scheme for the Versys 1000.... I tapped in under the seat at the wires on the left side of the bike that you can see zipped tied under the black plastic wrap in the photo......https://flic.kr/p/2aNKLFY There are 2 Brown with Yellow Tracer wires i just grabbed the first one i came to and tapped into it and all worked well.
Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green } " " "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" "
Brake ***blue with red tracer " "
Show less
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
got it; thanks for the help!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
appreciate the pics. looks like you've made some other changes too. are those lower rider pegs? did you also lower the frame with links? how did all these work out?

jim
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
appreciate the pics. looks like you've made some other changes too. are those lower rider pegs? did you also lower the frame with links? how did all these work out?

jim

Yes i have the MotoWerk Lowering Peg Blocks on the bike. I had the Motowerk Lowering Kit on the bike for awhile then took it off. Speedy from MotoWerk's used my bike to make sure the parts he made for the V-1000 fit correctly so we put the lowering link on it so he could get photos of the install. When i got home i took it off because i didn't need it lowered.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
I had the same seat issues. Hard on my sitz bones. I got an Airhawk inflatable seat pad and have never looked back. I can adjust it how I want and life has been good!

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Garage
funflyingguy, I also went for the Terry Adcock seat, but not the flat seat. Best move I made so far.

Civit
Randyjaco and funflyingguy like this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
appreciate the feedback. i contacted terry via email a few days ago. he quoted me a rough price of about $300 or so; not too bad. but he is already booking in august 2019 ...... OW..! so for now i may just use a pad or work on toughening up my hind end!

by the way: i am installing my heated grips this evening. not too bad so far. got the touring oxfords, which have 4 major components to install; 2 grips, controller and the battery connection...

thanks again from the new versys owner here. ...... and .......if anyone knows of someone wanting a 2011 FJR in great condition with 19.9K miles, let me know!

.... funflyingguy / jim
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
appreciate the feedback. i contacted terry via email a few days ago. he quoted me a rough price of about $300 or so; not too bad. but he is already booking in august 2019 ...... OW..! so for now i may just use a pad or work on toughening up my hind end!

by the way: i am installing my heated grips this evening. not too bad so far. got the touring oxfords, which have 4 major components to install; 2 grips, controller and the battery connection...

thanks again from the new versys owner here. ...... and .......if anyone knows of someone wanting a 2011 FJR in great condition with 19.9K miles, let me know!

.... funflyingguy / jim

A little tip... If you get your seat over to Terry when you place your order. Theres a good chance you can get it back quicker. Once you pay him he puts you in his schedule but a lot of guys will be in line but don't get their stock seat out to him so they get skipped over to the next order with the seat there. I was told mine would take 2 months but i got in in just over 3 weeks. I had purchased a Seat Concepts Seat off a forum for a good price. Then decided I'd rather have Terry do a seat for me, So i sent off the stock seat i had in the garage and sold the Seat Concepts Seat for $100.00 plus a stock seat. So i now have my Terry Adcock Seat and a Stock Seat stored for when i sell the bike i can put the stock seat back on it....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-15-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 PM

Garage
Heres the difference between the stock seat and a seat concepts seat.....

Stock Seat to Seat Concept Seat Kawasaki Versys 1000LT by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so weljo2001,

quick question for you if you remember. while you had the lowering link on your bike, did you notice how it leaned when on the sidestand? was the lean adequate ?

jim / funflyingguy

Last edited by funflyingguy; 03-18-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
so weljo2001,

quick question for you if you remember. while you had the lowering link on your bike, did you notice how it leaned when on the sidestand? was the lean adequate ?

jim / funflyingguy

The bike had very little lean. If i were going to keep the bike lowered i would cut the kickstand and order the kick stand kit when i ordered the lowering link.
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode