4Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Kawasaki Extended protection plan

Who and where is the best place / price to buy the Kawasaki Extended protection plan? The new Versys 1000LTSE sure has a lot of electronics to protect. I don't worry about the mechanics of the bike, however if the electronics goes bad, that will be expensive.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

Last edited by chucksklrst; 02-15-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Who and where is the best place / price to buy the Kawasaki Extended protection plan? The new Versys 1000LTSE sure has a lot of electronics to protect.t the mechanics of the bike, however if the electronics goes bad, that will be expensive.

My 2016 V1K LT came with a 2 year warranty. I forget the mileage. About 6 months before the warranty was up Kawasaki sent me extended warranty options and their prices. I check on-line for warranties from other sources and Mama Kaw had the best prices. I didn't bother getting the extended warranty but then a month after my warranty went out i noticed a sound coming from the front end and wound up buying new front brake rotors for the bike....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-15-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Who and where is the best place / price to buy the Kawasaki Extended protection plan? The new Versys 1000LTSE sure has a lot of electronics to protect.t the mechanics of the bike, however if the electronics goes bad, that will be expensive.
Negotiate it into the purchase. Kawasaki is probably the best manufacturer when it comes to warranty work. I have had several multi-brand dealerships tell me this.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-16-2019, 07:43 AM

ebay has a factory warranty 4 years for $780.00 .I dont know if that is a good price. eBay item number:153355705877
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-16-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
ebay has a factory warranty 4 years for $780.00 .I dont know if that is a good price. eBay item number:153355705877
That is the OEM price. Looking for a better price for 4 years.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM

On a prior Kawasaki, I waiting until a few days before the factory warranty expired, then negotiated a factory extend warranty for about 1/2 the asking price, but I only did it because the dealer was adding on a 15% parts and service discount for the extended warranty period, which ended up paying for itself. I don't believe in extended warranties or service plans for cars or motorcycles, but couldn't pass that deal up.
funflyingguy likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
On a prior Kawasaki, I waiting until a few days before the factory warranty expired, then negotiated a factory extend warranty for about 1/2 the asking price, but I only did it because the dealer was adding on a 15% parts and service discount for the extended warranty period, which ended up paying for itself. I don't believe in extended warranties or service plans for cars or motorcycles, but couldn't pass that deal up.
Kawasaki's plan is unlimited mileage so if you know you are going to lay down the miles it is well worth it. My Voyager came with 3 year warranty and I extended it another 3 years for $230. When my KACR flew off and bounced around inside the engine at 50,000 miles the $2500 repair bill was covered.

Or, if you are buying a product that is known for poor reliability like BMW, Audi, Fiat/Chrysler, the extended warranties are a must unless you lease or trade in frequently.
onewizard and turn8a like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Extended warranties are gambling the cost v. the dollar amount of covered claims, and with gambling some individuals will come out ahead, but the house always wins overall. There wouldn't be such great pressure on dealers to sell warranties if it were otherwise. Consumer groups such as Consumers Union recommend against them unless you're buying a known pig of a vehicle, which brings up the question of why you'd buy such a vehicle, but then again, I'm guilty of buying two Chrysler minivans when the kids were young. :^)
funflyingguy likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
A little off topic, but there was a dealer selling Y.E.S. warranties for Yamaha motorcycles for around 200-300 bucks if I recall. D&H Cycles was the dealer I believe. As many FJR owners purchased through them. Looking online, they also appear to be a Kawasaki Dealer. Something for you to look into. May save you some hard earned cash!

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-17-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
A little off topic, but there was a dealer selling Y.E.S. warranties for Yamaha motorcycles for around 200-300 bucks if I recall. D&H Cycles was the dealer I believe. As many FJR owners purchased through them. Looking online, they also appear to be a Kawasaki Dealer. Something for you to look into. May save you some hard earned cash!
Thanks I will give them a call. Yes I know about them as I also have a YES policy on my 2014 FJR1300. For precisely the Electronics of the bike. As I said I am not worried about the mechanics. That does not break on the modern Japanese motorcycle. But with all the new computer controlled suspension, engine management, multi ride modes etc. These computers can and will get expensive to troubleshoot and repair. Yes, agree it is a crap shoot with extended warranties, The new Versys 1000LT SE has a lot of electronics and electronic bells and whistles. Don.t really need any of it but I am getting older and have the funds, so why not splurge at least once in life. "Never saw a U-Haul at the cemetery" as a good friend of mine would say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in