• 1 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl
  • 4 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl
  • 1 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm liking this bike!

Most of y'all probably know what I do by now. that said, I get a chance to ride different bikes for my living , yeah, I know, it's a tough life! Y'all probably know I had a gen 3 650, and now have a 2015 v1000. I just wanted to share that I REALLY like this bike! It's not as nimble as the 650, but it makes up for it in acceleration. Even with traction control on, 1st gear wheelies are a wrist flick away. Although the redline is 10000, the factor limiter is actually set at 9500. I raised mine to 10k, as it's not a problem, stress wise for this engine, and it's still pulling well for the extra 500 rpms. I'm honestly amazed that the engine has as broad of a power band as it does without VVT. To me, this is the most rpm flexible non vvt engine I have ever ridden on. The result is that I can idle along at 5 mph / 800 rpm with no fear of the engine trying to die , and yet pull to 10k on a WOT romp. THAT is an impressive spread for any engine!

The only place I find lacking is suspension. Seriously lacking, actually. So now I'm faced with the dilemna of dropping a bunch of money to fix that. I did so on my Concours, and it was transformational. What I'd be seeking is something more worthy of broken pavement and offroad riding. More compliance. This nice part about this bike is that it's easy to handle on dirt roads, so that opens up more riding opportunities for me. I just need to get it so my kidneys can take it, and I'm not rattling parts off the bike.

If anyone has any suspension upgrade tips, I'm all ears. I'm researching now, and so far it seems the answer is like BMW... "BRING MORE WALLET" 'cus it's gonna cost! Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Update... since nobody has posted a method to save money and save from my farkle addiction, I sprung for an Ohlin's rear shock today.

Did I mention I really like this bike?

Steve
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
Most of y'all probably know what I do by now. that said, I get a chance to ride different bikes for my living , yeah, I know, it's a tough life! Y'all probably know I had a gen 3 650, and now have a 2015 v1000. I just wanted to share that I REALLY like this bike! It's not as nimble as the 650, but it makes up for it in acceleration. Even with traction control on, 1st gear wheelies are a wrist flick away. Although the redline is 10000, the factor limiter is actually set at 9500. I raised mine to 10k, as it's not a problem, stress wise for this engine, and it's still pulling well for the extra 500 rpms. I'm honestly amazed that the engine has as broad of a power band as it does without VVT. To me, this is the most rpm flexible non vvt engine I have ever ridden on. The result is that I can idle along at 5 mph / 800 rpm with no fear of the engine trying to die , and yet pull to 10k on a WOT romp. THAT is an impressive spread for any engine!

The only place I find lacking is suspension. Seriously lacking, actually. So now I'm faced with the dilemna of dropping a bunch of money to fix that. I did so on my Concours, and it was transformational. What I'd be seeking is something more worthy of broken pavement and offroad riding. More compliance. This nice part about this bike is that it's easy to handle on dirt roads, so that opens up more riding opportunities for me. I just need to get it so my kidneys can take it, and I'm not rattling parts off the bike.

If anyone has any suspension upgrade tips, I'm all ears. I'm researching now, and so far it seems the answer is like BMW... "BRING MORE WALLET" 'cus it's gonna cost! Steve
Did you do a major flash to this bike, or does it perform this well stock?
52Degrees likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Did you do a major flash to this bike, or does it perform this well stock?
I'm working on a flash, but the bike performs well as is, it just needed some polishing. One of the larger undertakings was to tune it to run on mid-grade, not premium. Kawasaki went WAY overboard with the timing, there are places on WOT that I've pulled almost 20% of the timing off and still gained power. Steve
52Degrees likes this.

Last edited by Steve in Sunny Fl; 01-11-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Ohlin front & back or just back. My 659 has a Ohlin -back and its a wonderful feeling with the Ohlin at the back.
52Degrees likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:44 AM

Garage
Which models and how many dollars?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Ohlin front & back or just back. My 659 has a Ohlin -back and its a wonderful feeling with the Ohlin at the back.

As stated, the rear.

52 Degrees... I found it on ebay, listed by an italian distributor Sestimarcia. I called Ohlins USA to confirm. iirc is a model sdr1. it doesn't have the remote preload adjuster, but I'll only be riding this bike one up so that's fine. It was 586.00 shipped, and they have more listed. This bike desperately needed a better shock, and that price is incredible, even for an "entry level" ohlins.
52Degrees likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post

Steve, I just got my 2015 V1K brand-new off the dealer floor last month and like you, I love the bike. I’m going to get Race Tech Gold Valve emulators for the forks as they incorporate an adjustable compression stack along with rebound. How’s the Ohlins? As if I need to ask! 😂
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
Steve,

I put Ohlins Blackline 772 13" shocks on my Road Glide Custom. Major improvement in compliance without sacrificing cornering stability.

I went with Bitubo adjustable shocks on the Moto Guzzi because I wanted the red spring and black shock to match the bike.

The front end of the Moto Guzzi got the fully adjustable cartridge treatment from Traxxion Dynamics over in Woodstock, GA. Great product!

The suspension on the Moto Guzzi was too soft for the riding I do, but I wanted to retain the ability to absorb imperfections in the road. Great combination for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181112_151918.jpg (91.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Moto Guzzi Traxxion Dynamics.jpg (53.7 KB, 12 views)

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, Suspension is expensive but once you've had a good suspension it's hard to go back to stock. Steve
quexpress likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Well my shock is here. Unfortunately they sent it with the default spring for a 180# rider. it's to light. I did specify my weight, and they responded that it would be set up for my weight. I guess they didn't figure I'd contact Ohlin's to confirm the spring weight. I contacted the seller, now I'm waiting for their response.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
That reminds me... I think the knob is supposed to be for preload, but... Is there a way to tighten the spring otherwise? You know... Like on other bikes?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
That reminds me... I think the knob is supposed to be for preload, but... Is there a way to tighten the spring otherwise? You know... Like on other bikes?
which shock are you asking about?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
The (factory) rear on the V1K

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

the factory shock has a spring preload adjuster - the knob - for setting sag, and there's a screw near the bottom to adjust the rebound.
52Degrees likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:06 AM

Garage
OK. So there's no spanner adjustment, then.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
OK. So there's no spanner adjustment, then.
The knob takes the place of the spanner adjustment. The knob, like the spanner adjustment is used to set static sag for one rider, rider and passenger, rider and luggage, and rider, passenger, and luggage.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Garage
I get it, I just wanted more. Lol.

I'm not exactly a lightweight alone. Once I add my significant other, um... It's gonna need some help, I think.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
I get it, I just wanted more. Lol.

I'm not exactly a lightweight alone. Once I add my significant other, um... It's gonna need some help, I think.
You need a heavier rated spring then.
52Degrees likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:23 AM

Garage
Yeah... I was hoping to get by on the cheap.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode