• 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Weird front tire wear

Pulled up in the wife's car and noticed a weird cupping pattern on my front tire today. It's nothing I feel when riding, and not pronounced enough to capture with a camera to show.

It is undoubtedly cupping, based on my many years of experience as an automobile mechanic.

Tire balance doesn't seem to be an issue (no vibrations when riding, other than the engine at 6k) and the tire pressure was right on 36psi when I checked it today. Not to mention, there's no second tire on the axle to interact with.

What gives? Cupping on a bike? What have I missed?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it's the dreaded Fresno Effect?

OEM front or another type of tire? ABS equipped or not? A little more info on the tire & bike would help, otherwise I'm going with the Fresno Effect.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'v noticed it starting on my Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 front tire. There's about 6000 miles on the tire. I have also read some tire reviews, but can't remember the specific tires, where cupping was noted.

My riding is pretty calm compared to some, so it isn't due to aggressive cornering. So I am guessing it is due to dual compound tread that is harder along the centerline for better wear.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have seen cupping on my tires on a variety of bikes as the tire gets to about the half worn out stage.

Since I am anal when it comes to proper tire balance and inflation. Also correct wheel alignment and suspension set up I have to attribute it to "just the nature of the beast."

So I stopped worrying about it and just ride and smile.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
After some research outside of this site (don't be jealous, those other sites mean nothing to me), I have been led to the conclusion that cupping is a direct result of using the lever just fore of the grip, on the throttle side of the handlebars.

Additionally, it tends to happen more with certain brands and/or tread patterns than others, and those results vary from rider to rider.

For those who didn't tune back in to see me trying to be cute... This is on my 2016 Versys 1000 LT, with original tires and standard ABS. Also, just over 6800 miles as of my very wet arrival home about 15 minutes ago.

I guess I'll be picking up that matching Road 5 for the front in a couple weeks.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Tire pressure is also a big factor. Often raising the front pressure slightly will eliminate the cupping.
52Degrees likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
...What gives? Cupping on a bike? What have I missed?
I have noticed slight cupping on various tires on my V650, the MOST was on the 130/80 x 17 (rear) Metzler Tourance I ran on the front of my '08 for 28,799 MILES before I replaced it w/ a [same size] Shinko E705, mostly just because I was tired of looking at it. NO vibes, etc...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
After some research outside of this site (don't be jealous, those other sites mean nothing to me), I have been led to the conclusion that cupping is a direct result of using the lever just fore of the grip, on the throttle side of the handlebars....
I would tend to agree - I use a LOT of front brake TOO.
52Degrees likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Ditto on the front brake here. I try to use mostly front brake when I can so as to reduce squaring off of the rear tire. The price may be cupping the front tire.
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode