• 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Bigpadg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Is this really what goes for $80???

I bought the SW Motech light mount kit from Twisted Throttle. As an admitted and unreformed (and unrepentant) cheapskate, I waited until I saw it for half price and jumped on it. Here's what I received :

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
V650 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I bought the SW Motech light mount kit from Twisted Throttle. As an admitted and unreformed (and unrepentant) cheapskate, I waited until I saw it for half price and jumped on it. Here's what I received :
I can only comment on my 2015, my cost was around $70 Canadian, worth every penny, I have both a stick and mig welder available and stainless brackets, the mounting fit like a glove, the time involved to get the perfect fit through trial and error can't compare to the finished product.

Fastoman, quexpress, P.E. and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I work in a custom steel fabrication shop.
One of the hardest things to get across to the men at the work tables is that the time clock is the most expensive thing in the shop.

Before you complain too loudly...stop and think how much an hour of your time is worth after you add up alllllll the things that go into you living that hour.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 PM

If'n ya don't want to pay premium prices for parts and accessories, stay away from motorcycles, boats, aircraft and women. You're welcome.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I understand all that. I just can't see spending $100+ on a pair of brackets, four bolts and nuts, and 4 plastic washers. I think the bubble wrap it was shipped in weighed more than the parts it contained (seriously, a LOT of bubble wrap to protect a finish that was nothing more than protective).

Yeah, I get it. Development and tooling costs are high for a limited production item. But, a hundred bucks for a pair of brackets is highway robbery. For that kind of dough, I expect something with more... Everything.

I mean, seriously... I bought an entire Michelin rear tire for $175, shipped!

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Understand you predicaments 52D and that's how some people make their living and labor cost these days is not cheap.

I make my own brackets and fittings for the bike, because I have all the tools and material and I love been productive in life.
Duffy and 52Degrees like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 AM

Garage
Heh-heh...wait till you see how much Kawasaki gets for a 12volt socket!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
Yes, we'll... There's a reason I've not ordered any Kawasaki factory accessories.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
I understand all that. I just can't see spending $100+ on a pair of brackets, four bolts and nuts, and 4 plastic washers. I think the bubble wrap it was shipped in weighed more than the parts it contained (seriously, a LOT of bubble wrap to protect a finish that was nothing more than protective).

Yeah, I get it. Development and tooling costs are high for a limited production item. But, a hundred bucks for a pair of brackets is highway robbery. For that kind of dough, I expect something with more... Everything.

I agree man. I'm an industrial designer for a manufacturer who makes steel products. We have factories in the US, China and Mexico. The price of steel is a buck or two a pound. So they have some money in the tooling to stamp that part and bend it but they don't have the volume to lower the price. It should be $20 or less. I'm always blown away by the prices of steel bike part prices. If everyone rode a bike that part would be $5-$20.
52Degrees likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:24 PM

Garage
Quote:

Yep I bought the OEM 12V Outlet over $80.00....Then i found out after that the Vulcan S 12V Socket fits the Versys and only cost $21.95.....https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...tlet/999940541

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got really sick the last few days. Actually called in sick last night for the first time in over 10 years. Had the bike partially apart Thursday and just now putting it back together for work tonight.

Here's the brackets, installed. Oh, and my totally jank fog lights. Lol.

I'll save the wiring for another day.
Devilsfan likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Quote:

Yep I bought the OEM 12V Outlet over $80.00....Then i found out after that the Vulcan S 12V Socket fits the Versys and only cost $21.95.....https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...tlet/999940541

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Doesn’t it have different connectors? Does the Versys 1000 need a relay for it?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpadg View Post

Same connectors and you don't have to buy a relay with the V-1000 just the V-650...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM

I made my aux light bracket for about $15, flat bar alloy and 2 pipe clamps. Copied BMW design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auxillary lights.jpg (64.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Auxillary lights bracket.jpg (71.0 KB, 21 views)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
They're dirty in this pic, but MY mounts cost about two hours of cutting and 'molding', 2" of weld (1" per side), and a couple of bolts. Of course - that's on top of the cost for the SW Motech crash-bars!

Here's a 'cleaner' pic....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That is custom made for your bike. How many do you thing they will sell?

The manufacturer has to gain access to a test bike to make custom parts for it. Most times they have to buy the bike and then maybe recoup some of those costs by selling it with their accessories installed when they have made all they want for that model.

SW MOTEK is a European firm. Think about all the hands that touched that accessory before your hands ever touched it.

From Raw Material to delivery every hand needs to make a profit.

I once bought a carburetor for a line trimmer direct from mainland China. It was the exact replacement down to all the markings. It cost me $10 shipped on a slow boat, but would have cost me $80 at the local John Deere store.

Of course you didn't HAVE to add those brackets or extra lighting to your bike. You chose to.

Motorcycles are a priority in my life. I do without Cable or Satellite TV. Rarely eat out. Brew my own coffee. Don't smoke, rarely drink anything but water, and never order a drink at a restaurant. I am a tightwad, cheapskate, conservative when it comes to everything but motorcycles. When I was 19 I owned a $1600 motorcycle and a $100 car.
onewizard likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...When I was 19 I owned a $1600 motorcycle and a $100 car.
At least your PRIORITIES were right...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Quote:

Same connectors and you don't have to buy a relay with the V-1000 just the V-650...
Followed your sage advice and got the $20 version, installed it and voila!, just as you say, exact replacement for a quarter the price! Thanks.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Followed your sage advice and got the $20 version, installed it and voila!, just as you say, exact replacement for a quarter the price! Thanks.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 PM

Garage
SW Moto Bars on a 2019 SE

Not sure if it was this forum or another I am on. some one was asking if the SW MOTO crash bars from a 15 thru 18 Versys will fit the 2019 new bike. Well no they won't. Mounting points are the same but the Faring and cornering light panels of the 19 get in the way of the bars. Guess I will have to sell them to my son-in-law. He has a 15 model. Also the Givi Tank lock ring from the earlier models will not fit. Different tank filler setup.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode