• 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 2 Post By 52Degrees

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Michelin Road 5 and I'm a cheapskate

Picked up a Road 5 rear from Chaparral on ebay last week. Amazon delivered a shiny set of spoons to my door a few days later...

Here's the problem: I have about 5600 miles on the original Battlax, and (chicken strips not withstanding) 5/16 remaining to the top of the wear bar.

Do I switch rears tomorrow or wait a while longer? What kind of mileage are others getting on their OE Battlaxes?

Also, any other California V1k riders seeing their fuel economy drop into the 36mpg range?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

MY Battlax last about 20k KM , but our road are completely different form yours and the weather too.

One way to be sure on the rear tire strength is to release all pressure and finger depress the center part of the tire. You will see how thin or hard the tire is and then you can decide weather to replace or not.
onewizard and 52Degrees like this.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It's interesting that you say that... I never understood that differences in road construction could affect tire wear until I had been driving trucks for a while. It turns out some companies have found certain tread patterns wear better in California than in the rest of the 48, so there's likely something to that in this case as well.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
It's interesting that you say that... I never understood that differences in road construction could affect tire wear until I had been driving trucks for a while. It turns out some companies have found certain tread patterns wear better in California than in the rest of the 48, so there's likely something to that in this case as well.
As a serviceman I did the electrical for several asphalt plants, when I put my driveway in, I specified what I wanted, as my service truck was 9600 LB.s
So I first put down stone dust over a gravel base and compacted it for a month. I then had 3 inches of HL5 and 1 inch of HL3A on top, after 32 years I have two stress cracks from frost, in hindsight I should have used HL8 for the base. Yes I know way off topic here
http://www.addaline.ca/2013/asphalt-terminology/
This may come as a surprise and it largely depends on the climate that the road is exposed to. In Canada for a time studded tires were used, this is still the case in Quebec as far as I know. So some asphalt has crushed glass in it, crushed granite, numerous other things that make the road tougher but causes greater tire wear. Anyone traveling in Ontario Canada, you will find sections of Test strips where the ministry is trying different mixes in real world applications, some are for flexibility, as cracking allows water penetration then frost and then more cracking, eventual road failure.
52Degrees likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Red face 14816 km (9206 miles)

Rear BT023 down to the wear bars
52Degrees likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This may come as a surprise and it largely depends on the climate that the road is exposed to. In Canada for a time studded tires were used, this is still the case in Quebec as far as I know. So some asphalt has crushed glass in it, crushed granite, numerous other things that make the road tougher but causes greater tire wear. Anyone traveling in Ontario Canada, you will find sections of Test strips where the ministry is trying different mixes in real world applications, some are for flexibility, as cracking allows water penetration then frost and then more cracking, eventual road failure.
Anyone who has biked to Alaska via the Alaska highway has the same story,bring a spare rear tire or two. Road pavement varies all over,its basically tar sands goo mixed with the locally sourced crushed stone or whatever they have in the area. Too expensive to import nice,rounded crushed rock so they use other local stuff for strength and that can have sharper edges when crushed.Here they do a cheaper alternative sometimes on lesser roads called chip-seal, stone sprinkled on a diluted sprayed on tar over a graded gravel and rolled.Works ok, better traction for black-icy, frost-heaving roads that are in the tall shadows of big mountains. Maybe tough on the tires though. In the Baja,they dont have any local stone,lots of sand though. That along with having no local gravel for the road bed is probably why their paved roads dont hold up very well.
52Degrees likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM

Garage
I replaced the OEM tires on my V-1000 at about 7700 miles with Road 5's could have gone more but wanted to get the Michelins on. Found the best price for them at that time at https://www.motomummy.com Gas mileage always drops when they bring out the winter blend here in Cali. Seems your getting better mileage than me....

5's by weljo2001, on Flickr
52Degrees and funflyingguy like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I replaced the OEM tires on my V-1000 at about 7700 miles with Road 5's could have gone more but wanted to get the Michelins on. Found the best price for them at that time at https://www.motomummy.com Gas mileage always drops when they bring out the winter blend here in Cali. Seems your getting better mileage than me....

5's by weljo2001, on Flickr
That's good to know. I knew winter blend had a lot to do with it, but it seemed a bit extreme. I notice the mileage drops with the temperature, too.

Oh yeah... I got hit while lanesplitting the other day. Lol.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
That's good to know. I knew winter blend had a lot to do with it, but it seemed a bit extreme. I notice the mileage drops with the temperature, too.

Oh yeah... I got hit while lanesplitting the other day. Lol.
Wow, are you OK? Details?
52Degrees likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm fine. Got squeezed between a Camry and a big rig. Felt a bump that could have been a reflector on the road and went about my commute. Found scratches on the left pannier and dirt or green Camry paint it something in the dot lettering on the reflector.

Evidently, it's not a hit and run if you didn't know you were hit until later.
weljo2001 and Buffalo_Bob like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in