Engine braking light? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine braking light?

As everyone knows, you can get pretty good braking action by just letting off the throttle and even better by downshifting. Somehow cagers can't seem to grasp the concept that a motorcycle can brake without the brake light coming on, so some bumpers tend to get way closer to my rear wheel than I like in traffic.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced add-on electrical system that will activate a brake or caution light during a hard deceleration?

Thanks
Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

If there was easy access to the ECU I could see it. Took about 2 minutes of thought, here is my solution, parts and wiring would need to be researched more, my first thought was to use the front brake lever to activate the brake light, that means you have both the throttle to work and the lever, not user friendly. Second thought is what I do is a light pressure on the foot brake, there is a easy adjustment for when the light comes on, further travel engages the brake. Electrically it would be a install of a micro-switch at the throttle cam, with a second relay driven by the neutral switch, the micro would be connected to a delay on cct. of about 1.5 seconds, as each shift you don't want the light on.

Another way would be to use something like the go cruise, and have a micro switch at the front, you can set the throttle cables to allow forward motion beyond the idle stop.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:01 PM

Garage
Engine braking light?

There are g-force sensing brake light modules and license plate frames on the market that will activate with engine braking.

That said, I always look behind before slowing and activate the brake lights if a vehicle is close. And I have a g-force sensing brake light modulator that I've programmed to flash rapidly if my rate of deceleration increases.

It is MY responsibility to make sure I make it home in one piece!

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-24-2018 at 04:30 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
There are g-force sensing brake light modules and license plate frames on the market that will activate with engine braking.

That said, I always look behind before slowing and activate the brake lights if a vehicle is close. And I have a g-force sensing brake light modulator that I've programmed to flash rapidly if my rate of deceleration increases.

Thanks Dave, I forgot this technology has been out for quite a while in cars for airbag deployment . Tempted to delete my post as it is almost embarrassing, that is what old age a retirement can bring, yah I know both are lame excuses, best I could come up with on short notice

First one found;https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Alert-Fa...43V51CTA5AVD8Y
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-24-2018 at 04:30 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post

Would you have a product name or link? FYI accidentally hit edit by mistake instead quote.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am sure it could be done with a mercury switch ,accellerometer or something. I remember back in the 60's in Spain, lots of people had a cheesy stoplight Gizmo in their rear windows. When they were driving the light was green. When they hit the brakes the red light came on. When they let off the gas, a yellow light would show. It was very low tech, but it seemed to work. Surely with today's technology the solution should be simple and cheap?

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 AM

Garage
I have a module that I bought off Amazon, that isn't currently available. I've read that Smart Turn System from Slovenia www.safer-turn.com makes good products. AdMore lighting from Canada (www.admorelighting.com) has been making LED tail light bars for years that are great.

There are a number of products out there, from modules that connect to the stock wiring, license plate frames with LED's and control module built in, to add on light bars with g-force sensing.

Hope this helps,
Dave

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow Safer Turn are very proud of their stuff ,as with some of the other vendors I found. I found this and thought I would give a try.
https://www.amazon.com/GearBrake-GB-.../dp/B00ODR69QK

Thanks for the responses guys

Randy

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Came across VoloLights

Came across this product:
https://vololights.com/collections/all
https://www.amazon.com/Vololights-Mo...rds=vololights

A good price for what it is with free shipping in the USA, unfortunately with the exchange on the dollar and entry fees not so good in Canada @ $130 , I already have my homemade brake flasher, the Givi mini light bar and the givi top case lighting. I was going to get a early Christmas, but hard to justify when there are other products out there like
https://www.amazon.com/GearBrake-GB-.../dp/B00ODR69QK
Or Canada Amazon which saves about $4 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI for those reading this post, I have zero interest in the smart brake module, a G force switch single axis that could handle 2 amp, would be paralleled with the brake switch. I already have a brake flasher that my son made, which has a adjustable flash duration and flash rate before it goes high, I also have the Givi mini light bar and Givi top case lighting, don't want to add anymore electronics to my brake lighting circuits, I would have preferred to go with the Vololight but $130 is just too much. Keep in mind that riding a bike, you need to be alert at all times, in front, behind and to the side, I have my foot brake switch set to activate the brake lights, before hydraulic brake action occurs/ braking occurs. For those times when too much is happening / you are trying to dodge some idiot that pulled out from a stop in front of you at the last minute, even though you were watching him and had slowed down expecting that, it happens!!, having a G force activated auxiliary brake lighting system would be a advantage, but being alert and ready would trump that.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-27-2018 at 11:52 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 AM

I bought this https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/ and it works fantastic!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnakers0708 View Post
I bought this https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/ and it works fantastic!!!
$$ and where did you purchase it? FYI already a link in post #7 by Dave.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-27-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Garage
I put slight pressure on the rear brake pedal, just enough to activate the light but not enough to actually engage the brake. Adjust the switch to activate with very slight pressure.

That's my frugal fix, no expense, no one-more-thing-to-go-wrong technology. You're welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode