2019 Versys 1000 SE LT - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Garage
I checked it out on line, excited to see it on the showroom floor but prolly not in my garage. Kinda expensive. You can buy a FJR for that price, and quite frankly, for that price I would rater have a FJR. Love my 650LT, but it is a different class of bike. Ahhh, there are so many choices out there!
Devilsfan likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Time to put a kidney for sale on ebay

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
Devilsfan likes this.
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
I checked it out on line, excited to see it on the showroom floor but prolly not in my garage. Kinda expensive. You can buy a FJR for that price, and quite frankly, for that price I would rater have a FJR. Love my 650LT, but it is a different class of bike. Ahhh, there are so many choices out there!
I think it all comes down to what you want out of the bike. The FJR is 100lbs heavier, but does have shaft drive, it also has a much more aggressive riding position. The extra power of a Multistrada or S1000XR isn't really usable outside of a track. Performance wise the FJR and V1k are closer than you think simply because of the weight difference.

You can still get a less expensive V1k with everything but the quick shifter and electronic suspension as well, just as you can get a less expensive FJR minus the electronic suspension. Though the least expensive examples of Multistrada 1260 and S1000XR also comes sans quick shifter and electronic suspension and are still pushing 20 grand.

For me personally the V1k SE is within my price range and for what I want in terms of an upgrade from my V650 it is about spot on. A 180hp german rocketship sounds fun, until you realize that you will rarely ever get into that powerband. I've test ridden a GSXR-1000 and frankly you can't use that bike above 10,000rpm anywhere but a track, things simply start happening too fast once that bike hits its powerband, but that bike has also completely sold me on the Showa Balance Free fork which the new V1k also has, the handling on that GSXR was incredible, even if the riding position was horribly uncomfortable (as are all super sports).
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I think it all comes down to what you want out of the bike. The FJR is 100lbs heavier, but does have shaft drive, it also has a much more aggressive riding position. The extra power of a Multistrada or S1000XR isn't really usable outside of a track.
Two points. First, I've tested the S1000XR and you're right about it being excessively powerful but it isn't just the overall power that makes that particular bike so great, the handling is amazing, and the weight is just over 500lbs. Incredibly nimble, fast and comfortable. It's an exceptional motorcycle. My biggest gripe with S1000XR is the expectedly awful mpg. Having said that I've never tested the Versys 1000 but I've tried. Kawasaki doesn't seem to have many opportunities with it's demo fleet here in New England.

Secondly, I agree with you about the comfort and weight difference between the big V and an FJR. That makes a big difference to me as I really don't want a bike that tips the scales well over 600lbs.

Then of course there is the Tracer GT, lower cost, low weight, features and power. Just not a very good looking bike to my eye. And come on, make the bags fit a full faced helmet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Two points. First, I've tested the S1000XR and you're right about it being excessively powerful but it isn't just the overall power that makes that particular bike so great, the handling is amazing, and the weight is just over 500lbs. Incredibly nimble, fast and comfortable. It's an exceptional motorcycle. My biggest gripe with S1000XR is the expectedly awful mpg. Having said that I've never tested the Versys 1000 but I've tried. Kawasaki doesn't seem to have many opportunities with it's demo fleet here in New England.

Secondly, I agree with you about the comfort and weight difference between the big V and an FJR. That makes a big difference to me as I really don't want a bike that tips the scales well over 600lbs..

Yep......
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I could show you some exercises that would help make that easier.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
That's one reason I keep the luggage on my V650 nearly 100% of the time. They keep the bike propped up a bit so it doesn't have to be picked up from all the way down if I drop it. I feel 25 yrs old but in reality this body isn't what it used to be.
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 11-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.
post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Tried to watch this but between the heavy accent and the **** background music it was impossible to understand what was being said. Why do they always have to have lousy background music which is always too loud and drowns out the commentators. Maybe I am just getting too old.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

Last edited by chucksklrst; 11-12-2018 at 06:46 PM.
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Nice to see all that technology on the 2019 Verysys, but I was really looking forward to see more of a Versys 650X or 1000X that was more suited for off road travels. I think if you throw that in the mix, that would be exciting.
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
I like that Kawasaki is updating the bike. I own a 2017 V1k and love it. Shame they put so much effort in the bike and still dump it in tar - hideous and dangerous black color schemes.

I love the new electronics for cruise control, dash and lighting. Improvements were definitely needed there - especially the lights. Engine performance is damned near flawless on mine. Don't see how they can make that better. No complaints.

While this is definitely a cool bike, I will not be buying it. I hope they keep the 'standard' V1k offered or I suspect they will be losing lots of customers.

I love my bike, but for $17k starting price, I would explore other options more seriously before buying it.

The one thing I can say after my first year with my bike, it is lovely on the road but definitely struggles on even light trails. This is definitely an on road bike. This year we will be looking at the V650 for the first time for off-road work. Excited to see that one at work and play.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
I like that Kawasaki is updating the bike. I own a 2017 V1k and love it. Shame they put so much effort in the bike and still dump it in tar - hideous and dangerous black color schemes.

I love the new electronics for cruise control, dash and lighting. Improvements were definitely needed there - especially the lights. Engine performance is damned near flawless on mine. Don't see how they can make that better. No complaints.

While this is definitely a cool bike, I will not be buying it. I hope they keep the 'standard' V1k offered or I suspect they will be losing lots of customers.

I love my bike, but for $17k starting price, I would explore other options more seriously before buying it.

The one thing I can say after my first year with my bike, it is lovely on the road but definitely struggles on even light trails. This is definitely an on road bike. This year we will be looking at the V650 for the first time for off-road work. Excited to see that one at work and play.
The v650 is also a street bike. There are a lot better trail specific bikes out there. Sure you can make the V650 a capable bike for light duty off-road, but that is true for just about any bike made today.
Shibumik likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM

Garage
I agree. We use BMW GS800's off road now. Good but not inspiring. Probably one of the best out there though. Would love to find both. Maybe a bridge too far?

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
The v650 is also a street bike. There are a lot better trail specific bikes out there. Sure you can make the V650 a capable bike for light duty off-road, but that is true for just about any bike made today.
You're right. Although it is a tall looking bike is not an off road bike. There are better suited machines for that.

For me one of the biggest selling points is the ride by wire trotle and the ability to have Cruise control for longer rides.

post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...This year we will be looking at the V650 for the first time for off-road work. Excited to see that one at work and play.
I've seen a FEW miles of 'dirt' on my three V650s....

Quote:
I agree. We use BMW GS800's off road now. Good but not inspiring. Probably one of the best out there though. Would love to find both. Maybe a bridge too far?
When I test-rode the GS800 BEFORE getting my first V650, I felt the V was the better bike, FWIW.
Shibumik likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-19-2018 at 04:41 PM.
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:

There is a non-SE version as well, loses the electronic suspension, cornering lights, quickshifter, TFT dash and bluetooth connectivity, but keeps the cruise control, hopefully a non-electronic version of the Showa Balance Free fork, and the IMU and cornering ABS.

The Tracer GT is definitely much cheaper, but doesn't have nearly the features of the SE. I would expect a non-SE V1k to be priced around where the previous V1k was or maybe a little more.

Another wild card is the new Multistrada 950S, it may be priced close to the V1k SE and picks up the electronic skyhook suspension and TFT dash from the 1260S, also all versions of the Multi 950 get standard cruise control for 2019. A wire wheel Multistrada 950 Enduro is also coming alongside the new 1260 Enduro.

A BMW R1200RS is also just a smidgen over 19k when equipped to the level of the V1k SE LT+, though the RS is going to be a more aggressive riding position. A comparable R1250GS is north of 24k.
Shibumik likes this.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 11-16-2018 at 11:46 PM.
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 PM

Garage
Ed -
I am jealous!

Andy Borowitz
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 PM

Garage
It will be interesting to see what their 'stripped down" version keeps and let's go! I would like to see new lights, TFT and the electronics like cruise control! Oh yes - new colors and perhaps a gas gauge that works before the first half tank is gone too.

I really love my bike. No bike is perfect, but mine is close to perfect for me.

Andy Borowitz
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 05:12 AM

If the Triumph Tiger Sport receives an update like the bigger brother this could also be a nice ride If the price is right.

post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've seen a FEW miles of dirt' on my three V650s....

When I test-rode the GS800 BEFORE getting my first V650, I felt the V was the better bike, FWIW.
Guys have ridden Concours 1400s and Harley Davidson Touring bikes on those same roads. The difference between purpose built and adapted vehicles is how fast you can safely go.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode