• 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Occasional Knock...

Hi all.

Recently I have noticed an occasional knock down low on my v1k. To be honest, I thought it might be a kickstand or centerstand boucing after I hit a small bump or something in the road due to a weak kickstand spring. I have added the Motowerks sidestand foot enlarger and thought it might contribute in some way. However, the other day, I decided to take a quick ride in 46-degree weather, and coming home experienced a much harder knock. This felt like perhaps a backfire or something much stronger. I was in my allotment and hit nothing in the road. I was riding about 28mph. The bike continued on with no issues.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this? If so, what are your thoughts and insights?

Kevin

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

When is the last time you checked chain slack. { before we move to more serious issues}
Shibumik likes this.

Last edited by Fastoman; 10-24-2018 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Gramma
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Fastoman,

It is fine. I did look at that.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talked to my dealership today. I am going to recheck the chain when I get home just be sure. He said mildly slowing down in a higher gear can cause the occasional backfire, especially in colder weather, but since the bike ran fine after, I shouldn't worry too much unless it happens more. If it does, I will take it in.

He said the chains tyically should be checked for slack every 500 miles. I will do that more often. I have been doing it every 1,000.

Andy Borowitz
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Keep posted. Thanks.
Shibumik likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Will do. Thanks so much.

Andy Borowitz
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
...He said the chains tyically should be checked for slack every 500 miles. I will do that more often. I have been doing it every 1,000.
FWIW - I take a 'look' at mine each time I lube it - just finger pressure UP here-and-there, then get out my tape-measure if it pushed UP a bit more than I expected.

Shibumik likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 PM

Make sure when you check the chain slack, rotate the chain through a full revolution to check for tight spots and any kinks (frozen up links).
Shibumik likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Make sure when you check the chain slack, rotate the chain through a full revolution to check for tight spots and any kinks (frozen up links).
This is really true. I was on a trip and thought my V was knocking. Even added a bottle of gas additive. Got home and got it on the stand and found out that the stealership had put one of the rivets that joined the new chain together in too tightly. I was hearing a clicking sound of that link going over the engine sprocket. Of course they said it had to be that way to be secure. I live with it, clean the chain often, put a little extra dry lube on that link and I don't hear it very often. I finally found a great independent mechanic and he said that yes it would make that little noise but would cause no harm. Since that chain install there has been no extra wear on the chain or sprockets.
Shibumik likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
This is really true. I was on a trip and thought my V was knocking. Even added a bottle of gas additive. Got home and got it on the stand and found out that the stealership had put one of the rivets that joined the new chain together in too tightly. I was hearing a clicking sound of that link going over the engine sprocket. Of course they said it had to be that way to be secure. I live with it, clean the chain often, put a little extra dry lube on that link and I don't hear it very often. I finally found a great independent mechanic and he said that yes it would make that little noise but would cause no harm. Since that chain install there has been no extra wear on the chain or sprockets.
You can buy a master link for about $7-8. Take the old one off and put on the new one to spec! That is if your chain is relatively new.
Fastoman, quexpress and Shibumik like this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Not all riveting tools are the same, I have spacers with my tool, impossible to rivet too tight, unless of course you think the spacers will go over the sprockets ( no they won't)
Also the rivet link needs to be or should be the same make. As a matter of interest, what make of chain are they using on the 2017? I threw my DID chain in the garbage with less than 11,000 KM on it, and when I say Garbage , just that. Tight links from day one, stretched links in one section of chain. I replaced with the EK SRX2 Xring and a rivet link. Over 12,000 KM and no sign of wear, my 07 had 30,000 KM on the original chain when I sold it. FastEddie has exceeded 50,000 KM on a chain using WD-40. There have been people that have had DID chain explode, that isn't fiction, but fact. Let me say I was disappointed with the OEM DID chain.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...978-post7.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...light=ek+chain

chain tool and PDF version of tool here:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...817-post3.html
jaaklucas and Shibumik like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-26-2018 at 07:30 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...FastEddie has exceeded 50,000 KM on a chain using WD-40....
Glen - you MISQUOTED me:

OVER 50,000 MILES on the OEM chain on my '08 V650!!! In fact it was still w/in specs (checked by Bill Watson of "thermo-Bob fame") when changed at 56,901 MILES (= 91,573 KMS!!!).

(of course that IS OVER 50,000 KM, too...)
Shibumik likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:19 PM

Garage
I was experiencing a similar knock or clunk with mine.

Adjusted the chain slack and all is well, except for the bumpiest roads.

Rather than try to adjust the slack as felt just behind the center stand, I went just ahead and found the impact point. That plastic swing arm protector is taking a beating, so I removed enough slack to prevent contact there.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting. Will definitely check that out when I am back in town.

Andy Borowitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode