I bent a rim the other day... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bent a rim the other day...

I've posted this in a couple of forums already, so if you've already seen it, forgive me, I'm just being thorough...
Last week, while riding Angeles Crest, I came around a curve and found a pile of rocks in my path. I failed to miss them all...
Bent my front rim in two places, one on each side.
So I looked for someplace to get them repaired, and found Dr. Johns Motorcycle Frame Straightening, located in Anaheim California.
I was able to drop the rim off in the morning and pick it up that afternoon. Not only did they fix the wheel without scratching the paint, but they trued the brake rotors as well. Didn't even damage the rim tape!
I'm happy with the result. If you are in the SoCal area, and need their services, here is the link:

drjohnsmfs

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html

Don R.

2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2017 Kawasaki V1K

Last edited by onewizard; 10-11-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for update.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
GREAT and helpful post, Groanup!

Glad you got it straightened, instead of searching for a new wheel.

Groanup likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
When I went riding in the California hills in the summertime I kept wondering why their were snow plows on the road. When I saw the football size rocks on the road I realized why they were there.
weljo2001 and Groanup like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 PM

Garage
Have noticed a noise coming from the front of the bike lately when riding slow. It stops when i squeeze the front brake so i think one or both rotors might be off. Have seen that a few Versys 1000 owners have had their rotors replaced through warranty but my warranty was over in Sept. So I'll be taking it to the place you posted to get your rim fixed seems they true rotors also at a very reasonable price $40-$60 a rotor. Thats better than over $600.00 for a set of new rotors...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-28-2018 at 08:37 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Have noticed a noise coming from the front of the bike lately when riding slow. It stops when i squeeze the front brake so i think one or both rotors might be off. Have seen that a few Versys 1000 owners have had their rotors replaced through warranty but my warranty was over in Sept. So I'll be taking it to the place you posted to get your rim fixed seems they true rotors also at a very reasonable price $40-$60 a rotor. Thats better than over $600.00 for a set of new rotors...
Joe - I replaced the front rotors on my '08 (bought on EBAY - Chinese?) in Dec '15 for $180. I got them w/ the rotor-holders in GOLD which looks PDG compared to the OEM black!

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joe - I replaced the front rotors on my '08 (bought on EBAY - Chinese?) in Dec '15 for $180. I got them w/ the rotor-holders in GOLD which looks PDG compared to the OEM black!

I'll have to check them out....Thanks...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Garage
Quote:

Just ordered a set of rotors for $209.00 free shipping and some Galfer Sintered Brake Pads Front & Rear. I'll just replace the brake fluid and pads while I'm at it...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Garage
Pair for the front or all 3 rotors?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post

Just the front...
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

NEXT time I order rotors I plan to get all three. My memory seems to be that it wasn't much more than just getting two....

On the other hand - I replaced the front pads when I installed those rotors, but had bought pads for all THREE discs. I use a 'fair' amount of rear brakes when slowing or stopping, and am STILL on the OEM pads which appear to have MORE than half left, and that's at just under 89K MILES!

OTOH - I had to replace the rear pads on my '15 V650 at a VERY low mileage...[?].

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
NEXT time I order rotors I plan to get all three. My memory seems to be that it wasn't much more than just getting two....

On the other hand - I replaced the front pads when I installed those rotors, but had bought pads for all THREE discs. I use a 'fair' amount of rear brakes when slowing or stopping, and am STILL on the OEM pads which appear to have MORE than half left, and that's at just under 89K MILES!

OTOH - I had to replace the rear pads on my '15 V650 at a VERY low mileage...[?].

My brake pads are still good. But since i was replacing the front rotors i'll just replace the pads. Plus i was going to have the brake fluid changed before July. I change the brake fluid every 3 years if it needs it or not. This time will just be about 6 months early...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 PM

Garage
Rotors just came in from Hong Kong...Way ahead of schedule. Only ordered on the 29th.
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Garage
How do they look? Same as the originals?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
MINE did - for my Gen 1 V650....
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:

Look just like OEM....I'll put them on when the weather gets better. The brake pads should be here next week and since I'll have the front wheel off I'll go ahead and order a fender extender to put on
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263869454003
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Garage
Sweet!

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Look just like OEM....I'll put them on when the weather gets better. The brake pads should be here next week and since I'll have the front wheel off I'll go ahead and order a fender extender to put on
Oh yeah... I need one of those, too.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode