What the hell is that? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
What the hell is that?

So last week I had the bike at the dealership as I had the dreaded water pump oil weeping issue (also strangely my bike had a bent front rotor as well). Anyway, I got the bike back and I noticed down by the water pump there is now a small plastic bottle tied to the end of a rubber hose that disappears up into the rats nest of hoses on the gear shift side of the bike. There is nothing in this bottle but now Im going nuts wondering if this is something new or if Ive just never noticed it before or if its been there but was rerouted by the dealer while they were working on it.

Google search came up with nothing and if nobody has an answer here I will start digging through the parts books to see if I can find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (40.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (41.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by DrGonzo615; 09-17-2018 at 01:06 PM.
DrGonzo615 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 292
That's attached to the air box, used to catch oil?
Sound like what you are talking about.

Edit to say now that I think about it my drain tube on the air box is just a tube with a bolt in the end of it maybe? No bottle? Been a while since I took it out. But yours is a 1k mine is an older 650.

Last edited by Kyle E; 09-17-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Kyle E is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 View Post
So last week I had the bike at the dealership as I had the dreaded water pump oil weeping issue (also strangely my bike had a bent front rotor as well). Anyway, I got the bike back and I noticed down by the water pump there is now a small plastic bottle tied to the end of a rubber hose that disappears up into the rats nest of hoses on the gear shift side of the bike. There is nothing in this bottle but now Im going nuts wondering if this is something new or if Ive just never noticed it before or if its been there but was rerouted by the dealer while they were working on it.

Google search came up with nothing and if nobody has an answer here I will start digging through the parts books to see if I can find it.
Take a photo and post it!
onewizard is online now  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Take a photo and post it!
Updated the original post.
DrGonzo615 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 292
Yep drain hose for oil in the air box.

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...a0/air-cleaner
Kyle E is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Yep drain hose for oil in the air box.

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...a0/air-cleaner
Gotcha, is it normally routed this way? I dunno how I never noticed this before.
DrGonzo615 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 View Post
Gotcha, is it normally routed this way? I dunno how I never noticed this before.
Don't have the 1k, but on the 650 its just mixed in with the wiring like in your photo. Its probably someplace else from the factory and the dealership just routed it different. I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe tuck it up a little higher or something.
Kyle E is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Member
 
ToSlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 21
what yr is your 1000

Living Large
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ToSlow is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
what yr is your 1000

2016
DrGonzo615 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4
How common is the water pump oil weeping issue? When does it usually show itself and is repaired under a recall or is it just a design flaw?
Kawiflyer is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Member
 
mrvwbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 348
That it has that big of an airbox oil drain is an ominous thought. The 650 has just a length of hose with a cap on one end and after about 20k miles mine only had a small amount of oil in it, I drained it when I pulled the airbox off to do the spark plugs.
mrvwbug is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawiflyer View Post
How common is the water pump oil weeping issue? When does it usually show itself and is repaired under a recall or is it just a design flaw?
Not sure, but it seems fairly common. I noticed a few little droplets in the plastic guard beneath the water pump. It definitely wasnt a serious leak but it seemed to be leaking both coolant and oil that was weaping from where the pump mates to the case. The dealership I took it to didnt mention anything about a recall and covered it under warranty. Ive probably done roughly 500 miles or so since it was replaced and knock on wood, it seems to have fixed the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
That it has that big of an airbox oil drain is an ominous thought. The 650 has just a length of hose with a cap on one end and after about 20k miles mine only had a small amount of oil in it, I drained it when I pulled the airbox off to do the spark plugs.
Yeah seems a bit weird but I have about 3k miles on my bike and I dont see a single drop of anything in it.
DrGonzo615 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 180
Don't know if it's the same, but mostly kaws use the same kind of stuff. Here's a video I dod on water pumps for the zg1000 a couple years back


Steve
Steve in Sunny Fl is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: mentor, ohio
Posts: 49
Garage
nicely done steve; excellent video and well explained!

jim
funflyingguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome