6Likes
  • 1 Post By RodV1KLT
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 2 Post By Smiley
  • 1 Post By RodV1KLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Ah, the age-old “which windscreen” question!

We all go through this dilemma with each different bike we buy. I’ve had my first ride with the OEM screen and, pretty much as usual, it just doesn’t work for me - no matter what height I try.

Sooooo, looks like the options are Givi, Puig, VStream, MRA Vario and optional Kawasaki. Perhaps there are others....

I’ve attempted to review some of the threads on each, but really looking for feedback from anyone that has compared any/all of the screens back-to-back. I’m about 5’10”, so guessing if options are offered, I would probably fit about a “medium” height shield.

TIA for any/all insight!!

Rod
52Degrees likes this.

Rod Depperschmidt ~ Sidney, NE
2019 Versys 1000SE LT+

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
I gotta follow this. I'm the same height and will need to do something to solve the noise and buffeting in getting with my new helmet.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodV1KLT View Post
We all go through this dilemma with each different bike we buy. I’ve had my first ride with the OEM screen and, pretty much as usual, it just doesn’t work for me - no matter what height I try.

Sooooo, looks like the options are Givi, Puig, VStream, MRA Vario and optional Kawasaki. Perhaps there are others....

I’ve attempted to review some of the threads on each, but really looking for feedback from anyone that has compared any/all of the screens back-to-back. I’m about 5’10”, so guessing if options are offered, I would probably fit about a “medium” height shield.

TIA for any/all insight!!

Rod
FWIW - I am about 5'9", 31" inseam, and for my Gen 3 650 ('15) I bought a PUIG 5999, and used it for a long time, including to D2D '16, which included a "BIT" [] of rain, but I was less than happy, so when I was planning a ride across Canada last summer ('17) I rode w/ the PUIG for a week or two, then re-installed the OEM 'shield for a trial.

I ended up riding w/ the OEM shield... [quote is from my ride report:https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...68-miles.html]...]

I re-installed the OEM windshield for the trip (instead of my Puig 5999), set at its HIGHEST setting, and it was PERFECT. NO buffeting, or excessive noise (earplugs, ALWAYS!), and the coverage during rain (there was LOTS... - -!) was really good, so I don't know why so many of you seem to hate it. BTW - I'm about 5'9 1/2", 31" inseam 175# before dressing. My helmet has bugs above the visor, and almost NONE below, but of course I got quite a few onto the shield (which I kept clean w/ the "No-Name brand" of lemon pledge... - ...).

So THERE'S my opinion - hope it helps you..., and the PUIG (dark smoke) has not been re-installed. Want to buy it?
52Degrees likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-16-2018 at 03:05 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:00 PM

Although I don't comment on windscreens much as I've never seemed to have an issue with buffeting on any of the bikes I've ever owned (minus my old "03 Suzuki Volusia - Memphis Shades fixed that!).

But I've often seen some areas overlooked.

One is your helmet. I think most of us ADV bikers have some form of full face / modular. Even with these (and I don't care how much you paid for the helmet!) some helmets significantly reduce buffeting and some can create it - most, IMO, based on the specific rider's positioning.

Two is the wind that (can) come up from your knees or over the windshield. You can find videos on YouTube about this. It isn't to say that this might be more prevalent on a cruiser bike but it's something to look into. Thus, the reason that "Lowers" were made.

My point is, you can spend all day and lots of $$$ going through windshields but until you determine where the majority of the wind is coming from and how it hits you, you may never find a satisfying solution.

***Plus...you're on a motorcycle!!!

That's just my $.02.

(This video, at the 14:00 mark has an ADV bike with "lowers".
Smiley likes this.

Last edited by Devilsfan; 09-16-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post

My point is, you can spend all day and lots of $$$ going through windshields but until you determine where the majority of the wind is coming from and how it hits you, you may never find a satisfying solution.

***Plus...you're on a motorcycle!!!

That's just my $.02.

(This video, at the 14:00 mark has an ADV bike with "lowers".
Thanks, and all good points. As for the “lowers” on ADV bikes, I had the OEM ones mentioned on both my Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tenere. They do work, IMHO.

So far, buffeting has not been my greatest concern on the Versys, but more just the volume of air hitting my upper torso and helmet (a Shoei Neotec, same as I’ve worn for the last 3-4 bikes).

2019 Versys 1000SE LT+

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:02 PM

Garage
On my 2016 V-1K i put a V-Streem Tall Windscreen on at 6'2" i mostly ride with it in the lowest position. It looks good on the bike and does a great job. On another forum i just bought the V-Stream Sport/Tour or their Medium Screen to try. Had it on the bike a day and had problems with one of the little pieces that broke on the windscreen mount. A little 3 dollar piece of plastic i ordered from the dealer and will be here tuesday. so for now I'm riding without a screen. But from the day i rode with the medium size screen it looks like i will use that one for my daily around town riding and if i go on any long trips I'll use the taller screen...

V-Stream Tall...

P1010529 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Garage
If you want total wind protection, no buffeting and calm air, get a Gold Wing or (from personal experience) a Concours mk2 with a Rifle fairing/screen. You're on the wrong motorcycle. You can't have it both ways.

I tried taller after-market screens (Givi) and, yes, the air is calmer behind them but the handling sucks. Cross-quarter winds are the worst. I use the stock "flycatcher" screen in the lowest position, earplugs, a good helmet with a chin wind dam and appropriate jacket for the temperature.

The V is a 'naked' bike with upright seating and sportbike handling, get used to it or get rid of it.
onewizard and Devilsfan like this.

Last edited by Smiley; 09-16-2018 at 05:34 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

So THERE'S my opinion - hope it helps you..., and the PUIG (dark smoke) has not been re-installed. Want to buy it?
Interesting, and thanks for the offer on the screen! 😉

I’d guess our upper torso is about the same, even though I’m a tad taller than you since my inseam is a bit longer as well.

Although not necessarily a good point of reference, since it was a different bike, I had been using the Suzuki version of the MRA Vario screen on my previous bike (DL650XT) and it worked quite well. It’s quite possible that I could expect comparable results with the MRA screen on the Versys. I don’t think there is a perfect screen, just like there is not a perfect saddle. And of course, what works for one rider does not always work for the next!! 😉

I’d still like to get more feedback from anyone that has experimented with the VStream and/or Puig and/or the MRA and/or the Givi. I know, I don’t want much!!!

2019 Versys 1000SE LT+

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
If you want total wind protection, no buffeting and calm air, get a Gold Wing or (from personal experience) a Concours mk2. You're on the wrong motorcycle. You can't have it both ways.

I tried taller after-market screens (Givi) and, yes, the air is calmer behind them but the handling sucks. Cross-quarter winds are the worst. I use the stock "flycatcher" screen in the lowest position, earplugs, a good helmet with a chin wind dam and appropriate jacket for the temperature.

The V is a 'naked' bike with upright seating and sportbike handling, get used to it or get rid of it.
Yes, it’s mostly all a compromise - thanks for the input.
Smiley likes this.

2019 Versys 1000SE LT+

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 AM

I have the Vstream sport touring sized windshield. I like it....sort of. It seems to me that the windscreen question should go hand in hand with your helmet unless you buy the biggest screen available and blocks any direct wind to the ol' noggin. I have an RPHA 11 Pro (I got a sportsbike too) and on the lowest setting, the screen kicks the wind up to hit the top of my helmet (5'9") right above the brow (or at least thats what it feels like). Wind noise is an issue but I usually wear earplugs and my helmet is known for being a bit noisy. In full extension, it definitely quiets down the wind noise (not completely but I hear more of the bikes noises than with it in the lower position) but I get more head shaking turbulence. I suspect this is due to the shape of the helmet in that its not really meant to process wind that has been disturbed by a windscreen.

I live in CA and what Ive realized is that I should probably just invest in two screens. One shorty for the summer to maximize airflow and one large one for the winter. By trying to split the difference I feel like Ive kinda boned myself as the few inches of adjustment just arent enough for a medium sized screen to pull double duty.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:50 PM

2008 V, aftermarket givi with puig spoiler. works for me. quiet with just enough flow to kiss my helmet vents. i'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, I’m a little over 600 miles into a planned 1,000 mile motorcycle trip and still not too impressed with the OEM screen. So, after reading a kazillion posts on different forums, I ordered (drum roll) the offering from Puig. It should arrive a day or so after I get home.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed!!!

😉

2019 Versys 1000SE LT+

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM

good luck.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:51 PM

Garage
I'm 6'2" 32" inseam. I have a Terry Adcock Flat seat on my V-1K and its taller than the stock seat. I have a V-Stream Tour Screen (tall) and just recently got a V-Stream Sport/Tour (mid-size) I rode with the taller screen in the lowest position and i ride with the mid-size in the highest position. The mid-size is nice because you get more air flow on your body in the summer but you get just a little more wind noise. For now I'll stick with the mid-size but once the cold weather hits i might switch over to the taller screen...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode