5Likes
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By JackImpact
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Nail in my brand new tire

If my plug holds, should I just keep riding. Or do I really have to cry into my shopping cart and wallet and buy a new tire after I just bought this one last month?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id at most pull the tire and put a patch on it but i also have 3 plugs in my rear tire on my versys and 6,XXX+ miles on it
turn8a likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:08 PM

Garage
I had to plug a rear PR-3 with less than 60 miles on it. It was still on the bike when i sold it almost 8000 miles later...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Well I feel better then. You can imagine the rage building inside me getting a flat after I just bought them.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM

Son of a ....

Had that happen to my PR3 a year ago. Although not brand new I had less than a few K's on it.

I've heard many that plug and go. For me, it's one thing on a car to ride away with a plug but I get really leery on a motorcycle. After all, there's only 2 wheels you're dealing with. I can still maintain a car if one goes bad (not talking major blowouts) but on a motorcycle...
Thus, I don't tend to buy any high-priced cycle tire. All it takes is one, little nail. There are many tires that will do what you want for a lot less money. And I'm nothing close to a professional rider so my $100 Continental's are just fine by me. And a heck of a deal if I drive off the lot and get a nail to replace them. I guess it comes down to the luck of the draw.

Your call but I like to error on the side of caution. I know it sucks but it could mean your life.

Just my opinion.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:19 PM

Garage
I make the decision based on where the hole is located and how large it is. If I am going to keep it I will pull it and patch on the inside.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Front or Rear?

I have the stop and go, some use a tire cement when installing the plug. I had a rear tire fail, same thing, nail in the tire, ran 1100 KM, at speeds up to 130 KM/HR, got onto a gravel road, went from 42 LBs to zip in about 3 minutes, gravel pushed the plug into the tire, if it had happened on the 401 highway I had left, I don't think I would be writing this message. Keep in mind, many kits require reaming the hole to fit the plug, so if the plug lets go, you will have less than 30 seconds to get under control and stop.. Proper thing is to patch from the inside. No one in my area will do that due to liability. I think my life is worth more than the price of a tire, however if you can patch it yourself or know a garage that will do it, that would be the only way I would ride a previously damaged tire. And as a FYI , that gravel incident I put another plug in, drove 70 KM , at no more than 80 KM/HR, when I got home I called Zdeno and replaced the tire the same day, had about 3000KM on it and the plug was inside the tire.
StormRider and Devilsfan like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I ordered a new tire, but I will ride on the plug if it is holding air for a while.

Thanks guys, I can see many of you understand the anger I am feeling lol
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
...Your call but I like to error on the side of caution. I know it sucks but it could mean your life....
I have run tires w/ plugs for the remainder of the tire's "tread" life, and once rode on a tire w/ a SLOW-W-W leak from glass (center of the tread) till it was 'done'.

I ALWAYS check my tires before each ride, adding air as necessary (and ALWAYS cautious IF it needs air...).

When you're worrying about a plug "letting-go" and suddenly deflating, don't EVER FORGET that you can have exactly the same result w/ a NEW tire - if you're not lucky - and ride over something BAD.

BTW - I have fixed 'flats' (tube) in an A&W parking lot, and in the Rockies; had a tire go flat in about a minute due leakage around a 90 degree truck-valve; and in my garage when I noticed a nail as I was gearing-up, so headed-out about a half-hour late.
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have run tires w/ plugs for the remainder of the tire's "tread" life, and once rode on a tire w/ a SLOW-W-W leak from glass (center of the tread) till it was 'done'.

I ALWAYS check my tires before each ride, adding air as necessary (and ALWAYS cautious IF it needs air...).

When you're worrying about a plug "letting-go" and suddenly deflating, don't EVER FORGET that you can have exactly the same result w/ a NEW tire - if you're not lucky - and ride over something BAD.

BTW - I have fixed 'flats' (tube) in an A&W parking lot, and in the Rockies; had a tire go flat in about a minute due leakage around a 90 degree truck-valve; and in my garage when I noticed a nail as I was gearing-up, so headed-out about a half-hour late.

I hear ya, FEC! I know it could happen with ANY tire. And I'm not saying you can't plug a tire for the rest of it's life. I KNOW it can be done but, to me, it's too much of a risk (if not statistically then mentally!). I'll plug it until I can get it home and to a shop. Then it's a new tire for me!
Plus, the fact that the tire is now "less durable", having one go out on me I'd rather have happen while driving than riding.
Again, not saying a good plug won't hold it's own. Just not for my sanity!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
If my plug holds, should I just keep riding. Or do I really have to cry into my shopping cart and wallet and buy a new tire after I just bought this one last month?
I encountered this very same issue earlier in the year. Here's what I learned so you do not have to repeat my mistakes.
  1. get a bicycle tube repair kit from store that comes with large tube of rubber cement and a large rubber patch
  2. Mark the nail hole with a white grease pencil or some other way. Once you remove the nail you will not be able to find the hole on the inside of the tire. Alternatively remove the tire with the nail still in it so you can find the hole.
  3. Sand or wire brush the inside area of the tire where you will glue the patch. The glue and patch will not want to stick to shiny rubber which is why it is important to sand or roughen up the rubber first.
  4. Apply patch with glue and wait a few hours until it is dry
  5. Seal edges of patch with extra glue and again wait until glue is dry
  6. Reinstall tire as before and re-balance. You cannot use beads with a tire patch on the inside.

You may have to pay an installer to remove the tire for you and give it to you to take home to fix and then reinstall it when you bring it back. Most installers want to sell you tires so may not do this or falsely say the tire is worthless or dangerous. A patched tire will work just as well as a new on. Don't throw out the tire if it is relatively new.

Plugs can come out sometimes with wear so an inside patch may be a more permanent and trustworthy fix.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-05-2018 at 10:19 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Son of a ....

Had that happen to my PR3 a year ago. Although not brand new I had less than a few K's on it.

I've heard many that plug and go. For me, it's one thing on a car to ride away with a plug but I get really leery on a motorcycle. After all, there's only 2 wheels you're dealing with. I can still maintain a car if one goes bad (not talking major blowouts) but on a motorcycle...
Thus, I don't tend to buy any high-priced cycle tire. All it takes is one, little nail. There are many tires that will do what you want for a lot less money. And I'm nothing close to a professional rider so my $100 Continental's are just fine by me. And a heck of a deal if I drive off the lot and get a nail to replace them. I guess it comes down to the luck of the draw.

Your call but I like to error on the side of caution. I know it sucks but it could mean your life.

Just my opinion.

Even if the plug will start leaking, it will happen slowly... You will notice over time that you have to inflate the tire every couple of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode