"Operation Eliminate Chicken-Strips" - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

"Operation Eliminate Chicken-Strips"

I set out on a mission this past weekend. I called it "Operation Eliminate Chicken-Strips". The mission? Find the most twisty mountain roads Vermont has to offer. The goal? Prove to the moto-world that I am not a chicken!! Haha.

So I confess, I still have these chicken-strips on my tires. I think I discovered that if I want to get rid of these, I'll have to drag knee. This bike can corner! (Much different than my previous cruiser.)

I did learn a lot on my quest. My bike's capabilities are going to keep me having a lot of fun! Maybe I should look into a track day for those pesky chicken strips.

Here are some pics from my weekend in Vermont. I stayed near Killington. Took route 100 the whole way up, then cut through some other mountain roads. (Next time I will go further North to route 17, which is supposed to be really twisty, according to someone who shared on motorcycle-roads.com)

Final pic is rear tire, before (left), and after (right). Can't tell much difference. Oh well. Had fun trying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-28-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Also want to add that stiffening up the suspension makes for a more sporty feel! It is more flickable, and actually feels more planted at highway speed.

I may of over done it though. What is a click? I need to read some threads on suspension settings. I did one full revolution on the left and right front forks. Then did a half a crank on the two rear pre-load and dampening.

The front feels a bit stiff now that I'm back to the pothole roads in Massachusetts. May have to soften the front.

52Degrees likes this.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawimassgirl View Post
I
So I confess, I still have these chicken-strips on my tires. I think I discovered that if I want to get rid of these, I'll have to drag knee. This bike can corner! (Much different than my previous cruiser.)

Those are also referred to as the "nubs of shame"...
kawimassgirl and 52Degrees like this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 AM

Good job, a bit of a different world that putting around on a cruiser.

It's amazing how capable a lot of bikes are, way more than most can tolerate but a nice safety cushion iffn you need it.

i've ridden Shinko 705's to where there is no chicken strip but haven't quite gotten there with Pirelli Angels or Bridgestone 023's. Next up will be Roadsmart III's. Close, but oh well...

I still haven't scraped a foot peg and I have leaned her over pretty good.
mc8404, kawimassgirl and 52Degrees like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:02 AM

Garage
Don't worry about the strips. Worrying about "chicken strips" is for young boys with something to prove. Most public roads these days have too many possible issues (bumps, holes, gravel, deer, dirt, etc., etc.) to be truly safe riding at the limits of your traction. If the strips bother you, you can take it to the track so you will have a controlled environment. Have fun and stay safe!

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Good job, a bit of a different world that putting around on a cruiser.

It's amazing how capable a lot of bikes are, way more than most can tolerate but a nice safety cushion iffn you need it.

i've ridden Shinko 705's to where there is no chicken strip but haven't quite gotten there with Pirelli Angels or Bridgestone 023's. Next up will be Roadsmart III's. Close, but oh well...

I still haven't scraped a foot peg and I have leaned her over pretty good.
Some of us don't putt around on our cruisers.

I don't ride the sporty bikes any faster because of other hazards like sight distance and debris and tractors and such, but the sporty bikes do take less skill and concentration. In other words, more forgiving and easier to change a line.

Unless you ride dirt, you should always have some chicken strips on your bike. That lets you know you have a little more if the situation warrants it on the road. If you use all your tire and then have to adjust your line you have no where to go but low side.

Also, flatter profile tires use up more of the traction part of the tire than rounder profile tires so you can't go by chicken strips to determine how far you lean over. On top of that poor cornering practices can lead to no chicken strips while going slower than someone who uses good cornering practices.

So, while you say that you would have to put a knee down to get rid of the rest of your chicken strip, the reality is that if you stay perpendicular to the road surface you will have to lean the bike over further to navigate the curve than if you lean in with your knee out.
kawimassgirl and 52Degrees like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...I still haven't scraped a foot peg and I have leaned her over pretty good.
Did THAT several times (YEARS ago... in AZ!), but ONLY my left 'peg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
...That lets you know you have a little more if the situation warrants it on the road. If you use all your tire and then have to adjust your line you have no where to go but low side....
UNLESS you "drop your inside shoulder" which will give you some MORE 'lean'....
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Grateful for these comments. After being on a cruiser, with very easy to scrape floorboards, I also believe I learned how to navigate a corner.

Technique can give more leeway. I would like the ability to turn in more, if needed. (And I did learn this bike is very capable.) Guess it's good that I'm not riding like a maniac on the streets? Haha.

onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 AM

I always end up scraping my boot before it reaches the peg, must be how I sit.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 AM

Garage
kool, if you do it right you could couple it with eliminating excessive colon blockage.... 2 for 1... rock on
civit likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
I slide my feet back so the balls of my feet are on the pegs when I am not shifting or braking.
civit likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 AM

Somebody needs a little Twist of the Wrist in their lives. Knee dragging has turned into a fashion statement, guys/gals are trying way to hard to hang off just to look cool. If you watch a real road race like Isle of Man or Ulster etc that's riding the street as maximum, not a lot of knee dragging going on there compared to something like Moto GP.
Watch the video below, soak it up. Go try stuff, watch again. You'll be cornering far healthier in time. Improve in little bits safely. Eventually you'll hit your fear threshold which will likely determine how fast you end up going.

I don't have chicken strips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1835.jpg (11.4 KB, 16 views)
jaaklucas, mc8404 and kawimassgirl like this.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I slide my feet back so the balls of my feet are on the pegs when I am not shifting or braking.
Best advice, not fun having your foot ripped off the peg. It'll become second nature if you practice it as a habit.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 AM

Garage
Just get out a belt sander...they'll be gone in no time

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawimassgirl View Post
Also want to add that stiffening up the suspension makes for a more sporty feel! It is more flickable, and actually feels more planted at highway speed.

I may of over done it though. What is a click? I need to read some threads on suspension settings. I did one full revolution on the left and right front forks. Then did a half a crank on the two rear pre-load and dampening.

The front feels a bit stiff now that I'm back to the pothole roads in Massachusetts. May have to soften the front.

Last edited by Lee R; 08-29-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Somebody needs a little Twist of the Wrist in their lives. Knee dragging has turned into a fashion statement, guys/gals are trying way to hard to hang off just to look cool. If you watch a real road race like Isle of Man or Ulster etc that's riding the street as maximum, not a lot of knee dragging going on there compared to something like Moto GP.
Watch the video below, soak it up. Go try stuff, watch again. You'll be cornering far healthier in time. Improve in little bits safely. Eventually you'll hit your fear threshold which will likely determine how fast you end up going.

I don't have chicken strips.
My fear is not how far I can lean over the motorcycle, but how far over the speed limit I have to go to get to the edge of the tire. I need a clean driver's license to keep my insurance rates low and to continue to travel for work. A license suspension could cost me my job. Leave the illegal speeds to the track where they are legal.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:50 PM

Garage
I downloaded the Yamaha MyRide app. Pretty handy, tells me my actual top speed, average speed, lean angles and shows me a map of my trip. All free.

I also learned I have developed a bad habit of leaning the bike but not myself through turns. I'm working on that, but I could probably use a refresher course.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
kawimassgirl likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
This must be why I am scraping pinky toe and not peg lol
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
SUGGEST you start riding on the balls of your feet on the 'pegs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
...I also learned I have developed a bad habit of leaning the bike but not myself through turns....
Sounds like you learned to ride on dirt.
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Garage
Naw... Only dirt riding I've done was either by mistake or on accident. Always wanted to try it, though.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode