• 1 Post By Lee R
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First hundred or so miles

2 trips to work and home have me over the 100 mile mark, and I'm still on low power and 2 nannies.

Found a cover at Walmart for $20 today, and bought a noisy disk lock on Amazon.

On my ride home last night, I stopped on a whim and lowered the windscreen. Immediately noticed about a 5 mpg increase and the helmet noise is more... steady, I guess.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
kawimassgirl likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
2 trips to work and home have me over the 100 mile mark, and I'm still on low power and 2 nannies.

Found a cover at Walmart for $20 today, and bought a noisy disk lock on Amazon.

On my ride home last night, I stopped on a whim and lowered the windscreen. Immediately noticed about a 5 mpg increase and the helmet noise is more... steady, I guess.

The screen is so small, I wouldn't of thought it could make such a noticeable difference on mpg. Interesting.

When I first got the bike I lowered and raised the shield for various rides, but now leave it all the way up. Wind hits just above my faceshield.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
52Degrees likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:27 PM

i left my after market givi all the way up for years, then decided it was wasn't enough, so i bought a puig spoiler, and it's made a world of difference comfort wise. no turbulence, but it still gives air to my helmet vents. i can ride with an open face screen now.
52Degrees likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:52 PM

Garage
I use a Tall V-Stream in the lowest position......

P1010529 by weljo2001, on Flickr
tommyvous59 and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Switched to full power for the ride home this morning. Mileage seemed to actually decrease, which makes sense I suppose. 25% is a large power increase than I expected, too.

The economy gains realized with the windscreen down appear to diminish with cooler temperatures. Or, maybe that's because I was a bit more ham fisted playing with camaros and crown Vicky's at 0300.

Any way you slice it, it's time to give the bike its first bath. And check the tire pressure.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just past 400 miles on the way home from work this morning. It's beginning to look like mpg is affected by outside temperature. This doesn't make sense to me, aside from air density, since cooler air provides a better charge to...

Suddenly, it does make sense. Haha.

Anyway, 400 miles. Looks like it's about time to start looking for oil and a filter.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Just past 400 miles on the way home from work this morning. It's beginning to look like mpg is affected by outside temperature. This doesn't make sense to me, aside from air density, since cooler air provides a better charge to...

Suddenly, it does make sense. Haha.

Anyway, 400 miles. Looks like it's about time to start looking for oil and a filter.

One of the tables in the ecu is temperature correction. As the air is colder it becomes more dense with 02. therefore more fuel is needed. Also when intake ports are cool, there is a tendency for fuel to fall out of suspension and gather on the port wall, which reduces efficiency and power. More fuel needs to be added in this circumstance so the cylinder still gets enough fuel to make power.

My advise would be to stop worrying about fuel economy at this point, and just get a feel for the bike. I assume the bike is new to you, and perhaps just "new" . Particularly if this is a new bike, it needs to get broken in and get the various frictions out of the bike, and the fuel mileage will increase from that alone. Let that take place, and then start to learn strategies for optimizing fuel economy. JMO, of course.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Who's worried? I'm just making observations.

I spent a number of years geeking out on cars as a drivability tech for General Motors, so it's my nature to be curious and try to think through things like this. If no one wants to hear about it, I'll take my musings elsewhere. Otherwise, it sparks interesting conversations about how things work.

I, for one, find things like this very interesting.

16VGTIDave likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 AM

What is the mpg on the 1000? high 30's/low 40's when having fun and mid/upper 40's when taking it easy? My Tiger 1050 averaged 41, My Stelvio NTX (1150cc) averaged 37 but it was air cooled and heavily temperature dependant low of 31 to high of 46 on that bike.

My all time worst mpg was on my RX3 a 250cc, 29mpg into a 45 knot headwind. So much for 250cc mpg!

The V650 (2017) is averaging 51.9 over 3000 miles. Seems to be between 48 (having fun) to 56 if I go easy.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It's seriously too new for me to really make a determination, in really just playing with it and watching what it does. I've observed the reported instant mpg to be as high as 48 when cruising at 75 mph with outside air temps over 70f and as low as 13.8 mpg in full power mode, mid rpm range in 6th with lots of throttle rolled on. I think it was around 58f at that time.

I've filled the tank twice so far, and the average reported economy according to the display is 37.7. I have not yet verified any of this, however.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
It's seriously too new for me to really make a determination, in really just playing with it and watching what it does. I've observed the reported instant mpg to be as high as 48 when cruising at 75 mph with outside air temps over 70f and as low as 13.8 mpg in full power mode, mid rpm range in 6th with lots of throttle rolled on. I think it was around 58f at that time.

I've filled the tank twice so far, and the average reported economy according to the display is 37.7. I have not yet verified any of this, however.

I use fuelly to track mine, mile/gallons. The computer is off by about 3 mpg (low) on the 650. Not a lot of Versys 1000's tracking mpg on Fuelly for some reason. The app is pretty convenient. I just track it each time I fuel up, mainly to get a feel for how the mpg is effected by riding behavior and temps so I know what to fill up. My fuel gauge starts blinking with 1.5 gallons left in the tank so you have @ 75 miles to empty with the gauge showing nothing. The bikes new too me as I've had it for a Month but it looks like 250 miles is pretty reliable with .5 left in the tank.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be some visual kids fuel warning in addition to all the bars on the guage being gone. I'll have to watch for that.

Pushing motorcycles really sucks, so I've only gotten down as low as one bar remaining. Appx 4.5 gains, both times.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be some visual kids fuel warning in addition to all the bars on the guage being gone. I'll have to watch for that.

Pushing motorcycles really sucks, so I've only gotten down as low as one bar remaining. Appx 4.5 gains, both times.

It really just takes being cautious and learning how the mpg is effected by riding/weather then you can get an idea of how far you can realistically go. I also don't like running below .5 in the tank so the fuel pumps not getting hot.
52Degrees likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I spent a number of years geeking out on cars as a drivability tech for General Motors, so it's my nature to be curious and try to think through things like this....
Did you work at the old GM Proving Grounds in Mesa, AZ?

Quote:
...I've filled the tank twice so far, and the average reported economy according to the display is 37.7. I have not yet verified any of this, however....
MY '15 650 shows the MPG (actually, kms/L here in Canada) as 23.xkm/L, while when I do the math it comes out as 25 to 27km/L. As a result, I run my TRIP COMPUTOR in RANGE. To me that's a more 'interesting' number.
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-01-2018 at 04:00 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I worked at a dealership near Stockton, California.

My '16 has 2 trip meters. I'm trying not to me super anal retentive about mileage during break in, but I'm sure I will be soon after. 🤣

Also, the speedometer is somewhat less than perfectly accurate, so the mileage numbers are going to be off.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Also, the speedometer is somewhat less than perfectly accurate, so the mileage numbers are going to be off....
NOT necessarily. The SPEEDO and the ODOMETER are different functions, and not really connected outside of being in the same instrument. By LAW the ODOMETER has to be accurate, while the SPEEDO... - NOT so much, which is why most motorcycle speedos will show you as going faster than you ARE....
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, fun! Sounds like a multi GPS test is in order! I'll see what I can do.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, fun! Sounds like a multi GPS test is in order! I'll see what I can do.

FWIW - running a 150/70x17 Shinko E705 on the rear of my '15, brings the GPS speed and the SPEEDO speed to w/in 1 km of each other, STOCK gearing.
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The VK has a factory 180/55 17 rear. I thought about trying a 190/50 sometime down the road.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just got home from work, odometer says something just under 550 miles now. Noticed I can run at time traveling speed and still get over 40 mpg as long as there's a pickup truck in front of me doing the same. 🤣

I'm probably too tired to think of anything else witty to add.

Oh yeah. Bugs suck in the daytime. Big, nocturnal bugs kinda hurt.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode