Have you seen the new Versys 1000 ADV? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Have you seen the new Versys 1000 ADV?

[FIXED it for you]

You likely haven’t because it doesn’t exist - yet. However, we are about to design it and you’re invited to the party. With any luck, a Kawasaki designer is lurking and may see it. Kon'nichiwa! My thoughts are this: if given one hour with a Kawasaki design engineer and a few shots of saki, what would you suggest to him or her regarding improving the design of the Versys 1000 that would make it a better bike in terms of adventure activities?

Right or wrong, ADV biking is really 2 segments. Single-track trails are definitely the domain of smaller bikes for two reasons - falling and maneuverability! You don’t have cat-like skills. You will fall. Picking up a 1000 is no easy feat. A 1200 is simply hell. That being said, 98% of our time is spent on the road, followed by encounters with dirt roads, 2-track trails and farm and gravel roads. Here is where bigger bikes shine. I have sailed all of my life. I learned early on that just because some have circumnavigated in 26’ boats doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. The same is true for bikes. Size really does matter in the adventure world. No such thing as one size fits all. Oh, physics, thou are such a heartless bitch!

Now, I am not familiar with the 650, so someone might want to copy this to that side of the forum. This is all about the 1000.

I will start the process. Please feel free to add your thoughts. After all, this is your next bike!

1. - Add a 7th gear! This engine is awesome, but a bit to revvy at higher speeds. A nice 7th (or even 8th) gear could bring the RPM’s below 3,000 to 3,200 which would be lovely on long stretches.

2. - Give us a real headlight! This light shines up signs okay, but is terribly anemic in terms of night sight. You must do better here.

3. - A seat redesign. I don’t know about the ladies here, but a bike seat that tilts forward tends to drive ballsticles into things in a most uncomfortable ways. Not sure how it works in Japan, but here, it’s less than manly-mannish to pull up to a stop with tears running down your face. I am teary right now.

4. - More front control cable and brake line length, please! This is a large bike. Little changes make big differences. Adding 3” to the front cabling would allow us to add risers that can make the bike more comfy.

5. - Cruise control. Really? Seriously?

6. - A backrest option. Okay, niggly, but would be nice. This bike can be geat with a pillion, but they are not as comfy as they could be with a comfy back rest the keep them planted firmly and stopping us from having the embarassment of turning around and picking them up every now and then when we forget they’re there!

7. - Dash compartments! C’mon people. There is room there. Use it up!

8. - Bash plate and crash bars. Yep, these are important pieces of kit on the new ADV version. Look forward to seeing them.

9. - Add Integrations for options not trinkets. The cigarette lighter should be standard, not an option. Sell inserts for USB or whatever. Fog light plugs? Additional tail light plugs? Cool! ADV bikes are highly customized. Make it a bit simpler for the rider to build what they need and you will be loved forever!

10. - Blinking brake light! This is a big deal to me - and a minor task for Kawasaki. It’s a big deal safety-wise.

11. - Add 30% to the bag size or add box paniers. This is needed. The shape of the current bags looks great, but not as functional as ADV riders need.

More to come.

12. - Heated grips. Yes, they are needed on cold, rainy, damp roads.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-25-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Garage
Option for high output generator.

Also... SPOKES!

This may seem silly, but it's kind of a cool thing to have on any bike... That keyless system the Concourse has would be a really nice addition. No more fumbling for keys with gloves on.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree with you there! And while we’re on wheels, how about a 90-degree valve stem?
52Degrees likes this.

“It would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.”

Andy Borowitz

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A real horn would be nice too. Everytime I use mine, I am sure everyone around me thinks I just ran over a Chihuahua. How embarrassing to have PETA put your picture on their web site for honking your horn at the mall. It’s the same sound you make when you need to stop quickly and ride up on the jewels!
52Degrees likes this.

Andy Borowitz
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
A real horn would be nice too. Everytime I use mine, I am sure everyone around me thinks I just ran over a Chihuahua. How embarrassing to have PETA put your picture on their web site for honking your horn at the mall. It’s the same sound you make when you need to stop quickly and ride up on the jewels!
🤣

Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
I agree with you there! And while we’re on wheels, how about a 90-degree valve stem?

The chinese ones off of eBay work great and less than 3 bucks

P1020238 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Shibumik and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:30 PM

Garage
Quote:

Stebel Baby....
16VGTIDave, Shibumik and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Vast improvement! Will it fit the V1k?
52Degrees likes this.

Andy Borowitz
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Post #7 above yours is Weljo on a V1K.
Shibumik likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:

Had to separate it......https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...orn-mount.html

Heated Grips.......https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ted-grips.html
Shibumik likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Eddie!

Andy Borowitz
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:05 AM

Garage
Real hand guards, wide vibration free mirrors, and a windshield that works. Design them all in a wind tunnel so they work together! After changing all these items, I'm getting tired of making minor adjustments only to find the speed helmet buffeting occurs at has changed slightly.

Bright LED lights everywhere! It's 2018 and LED's are well proven, use them! An instrument backlights dimmer. The dash can be annoyingly bright on a dark night.

A reinforced mounting point for device mounts. For things like GPS or phones. With key switched power connections close by.

A kickstand foot that is large enough to not sink into the ground.

Chain protection. Why is the chain so exposed? It gets rinsed by road spray or covered in dust / dirt / mud, and then requires extra maintenance. With cleaners and lubes that are anything but eco friendly. There were bikes decades ago that had enclosed chains that lasted a very long time without maintenance...
Shibumik likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Garage
I guess if you add all of the above the price will be in the 18 to 20 thousand dollar range!
Civit
Shibumik likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by civit View Post
I guess if you add all of the above the price will be in the 18 to 20 thousand dollar range!
Civit
We're in the spit balling stage here. When real development starts happening, lists get culled and manufacturers look at using existing tech to keep costs down.

The idea isn't to create The Homer.

Shibumik likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:59 PM

they need to add amenities to make it BETTER than the competition, but keep the same price point. the V1000 is definitely a sport/adventure tourer, and improvements should be made with this in mind. personally, i don't think they should try to make it into a dual sport for a variety of reasons. plus, the V650 is a more appropriate platform to farkle into a "semi" dual sport, as so many have done already. or just get a V300 if you want a dual sport with spokes, crash plate, etc. IMHO of course.
Shibumik likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:18 PM

Or how about adding packages for the same price? For example, Package A) luggage and hand guards, B) Custom Seat and top case, C) Windshield selection and engine guards, etc...

Because truth be told, no matter what they add on someone's always gonna be bitchin' about how it's not good enough!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Or how about adding packages for the same price? For example, Package A) luggage and hand guards, B) Custom Seat and top case, C) Windshield selection and engine guards, etc...

Because truth be told, no matter what they add on someone's always gonna be bitchin' about how it's not good enough!
Ultimately, this is the way it's going to have to go to keep the most people happy, just like cars.

Which is exactly why it'll never happen. Motorcycle manufacturers simply don't produce in large enough numbers to justify going crazy with option packages, especially in a market where buyers consider (and rightly so) the machine to be a unique extension of themselves as an individual.

The bottom line is that everything we've described is already available in the aftermarket, and for 50-75% less than Kawasaki would offer it for.

Devilsfan and Shibumik like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 PM

My vote would be for better and bigger luggage. The factory case shape is terrible! If I could do it over again I would not have gotten factory luggage but rather something rectangular and sturdy enough to handle simple tipovers without serious damage. The top box is great, so if something could be found to match for the sides then I'd keep the top box. If not, I would vote for a matching set of something aftermarket.

On my 650 a front fender extender is necessary to keep stones and other crud out of the radiator. If the V1000 fender is similar, I'd do the extender on it for off-pavement use.

A radiator guard to protect from stones and branches.

Lower engine protection. Bars and skid plate. This is to protect the lower engine, not the plastic fairings, so the bars need to wrap the lower engine.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:16 PM

Looks like what you want is a BMW GS...
Just sayin'...

Numbers 1, 5, and 12 is all this bike really needs.
YMMV!

Don R.

2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2017 Kawasaki V1K

Last edited by Groanup; 08-26-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
IMO an Inline 4 is not the right engine for an adventure bike.

Then again I don't consider the Versys 1000 an adventure bike. It is a sport tourer.

I like the idea of having accessories that a person can add if they want them, but features that aren't easy to add like cruise control should be integrated.
civit, Shibumik, Groanup and 1 others like this.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
verys adv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode