3Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Groanup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated grips??

Anyone here installed the Kaw Factory heated grips. Are they really worth the exorbitant price Kaw is asking for them. Can one connect after market heated grips to the factory connector.

I just installed the Kaw factory gear indicator and the power outlet on my New 2015 Versys 1KLT. Outrageous price but I bit the bullet, as I really do want to have gear indicator. That got me thinking about heated grips for winter/mountain riding.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Garage
Here Ya Go.....https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ted-grips.html
chucksklrst likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Garage
Some of us here bit the bullet on paying the price and started threads to help others save money. The Vulcan S 650 12V Power Socket is about $20.00 and will work on the newer Versys 650 & 1000...Search is your friend....https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...2v-outlet.html .My heated grips i just tapped into the Tail Light wire and the Ground Wire....

Wire Color For Versys 1000

Ground***Black with yellow tracer
Right Signal***grey} color going into connector before light
Left Signal***green } " " "
Tail & license plate***brown with yellow tracer "" "
Brake ***blue with red tracer “ “..
chucksklrst likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-12-2018 at 05:00 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Forum OEM Grips / POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Anyone here installed the Kaw Factory heated grips. Are they really worth the exorbitant price Kaw is asking for them. Can one connect after market heated grips to the factory connector.

I just installed the Kaw factory gear indicator and the power outlet on my New 2015 Versys 1KLT. Outrageous price but I bit the bullet, as I really do want to have gear indicator. That got me thinking about heated grips for winter/mountain riding.
Read post 51 or all the posts https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...i+heated+grips . Lots of discussion about them, best place for them is in the box on the shelf. Lots of better options, I have the Oxford

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all. You have just confirmed what I had been thinking all along. The only reason I asked is because I can get a good military discount on the factory grips heaters, in the month of July, from my local dealer. I have a set of Bike Master grip heaters on my V-Strom (They are similar to the Oxford) and they work better than the Factory grips heaters that my Gen III FJR came with. I figure I will just get a set of Oxford Adventure Premiums for the Big Versys. Not being that familiar with Kawasaki accessories, I thought I asked first. Thanks guys.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Read post 51 or all the posts https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...i+heated+grips . Lots of discussion about them, best place for them is in the box on the shelf. Lots of better options, I have the Oxford

1+ on oxford heated grips
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
I went with the Koso grips...a few bucks more but its a much cleaner installation since the controls are right on the left grip...they work extremely well also...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2016 green V1K
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Koso Not Available in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
I went with the Koso grips...a few bucks more but its a much cleaner installation since the controls are right on the left grip...they work extremely well also...

Weljo was the first on this forum to post them, agree much cleaner install, the Oxford work extremely well and since I have everything mounted I see no reason to change, however no question if you lack real-estate they are the way to go, as you can see, real-estate on my bike is busy. Also they are about $80 more than what I paid for the Oxford through my dealer.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 PM

I've got heated gloves instead. It was a gift from nice friends. Pricey but highly effective during winter time since it warms your palms, fingers, top of hands and even a portion of your wrists. I got the wireless temperature remote controller too. Installation becomes a long spaghetti of wires that must be tucked into your jacket but works really well for low temp rides. The entire setup (w/ wireless controller and remote) would cost close to $300!!! I just did it because the gloves were a gift...

Disclaimer: the gloves are astronaut-like, bulky and not flexible enough. You lose a lot of motion and sensitivity when wearing it but it warms your hands like they're on fire. After 20-30min I have to dial the temp down.

Heated gloves: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...2v-hero-gloves

Wireless controller: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...emp-controller

Wireless remote: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...al-temp-remote

Y-coax cable to go through your jacket sleeves: https://www.revzilla.com/product/fir...plug-y-harness

Assuming you have the battery tender cable already, otherwise add another $15.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Garage
For really really cold days or wet weather i add a set of ATV Mitts along with the heated grips....Its like having your hands in a nice warm oven....

P1010713 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Those look like just the ticket for me. Neat install, and they look like they belong.
Nice!
crosshairs likes this.

Don R.

2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2017 Kawasaki V1K
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I went with the Koso grips...a few bucks more but its a much cleaner installation since the controls are right on the left grip...they work extremely well also....
Me TOO - TWO.... A set on the AZ '08 and the BC '15.

Quote:
...Also they are about $80 more than what I paid for the Oxford through my dealer....
The AZ KOSO ones were $170 (gift from my wife), while the second set were around $110 (IF memory serves).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Garage

Quote:

Yes, they were available in 2015... in the US anyway...I bought a set for one of my other bikes in November of 2015...

2016 green V1K
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Probably weljo can say IF they were available in '15. I got BOTH sets during fall/winter '17 - '18.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode