Michelin Road 5s... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Michelin Road 5s...

Anyone running these on a V1K..I have a set that have just over 3000 miles on them now and I do not see them going past 4500...

Full disclosure, I ride my bike like I stole it but I normally get between 5500 and 6k out of a set of tires.....

I've run Roadtec 01's and Metzler M7RRs...I was happy with all of them, ... they all lasted about the same and they all wore very evenly..I had a set of PR4 that wore funny and now the Road 5s are wearing very weird...

I am very happy with the grip both wet and dry,they are the best I have used... but I am severely disappointed with the wear and honestly dont see me buying another set

2016 green V1K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Garage
I just have a little over 1000 miles on my Road 5's No signs of wear thats not normal.....

Michelin Road 5's After A 1000 Miles by weljo2001, on Flickr

Michelin Road 5's After A 1000 Miles by weljo2001, on Flickr
crosshairs likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, mine are not looking too good...I'm running 32/42 as recommended..what pressure are you running?
and these pics were 500 miles ago..Ill get better ones...I have no idea why they are wearing funny...it seems to be a Michelin only thing with my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-06-05 12.12.42.jpg (88.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-05 12.16.58.jpg (102.3 KB, 38 views)

2016 green V1K

Last edited by crosshairs; 06-06-2018 at 01:30 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
here are better pics...total mileage 3240
front

rear

Maybe Im expecting too much....but for 350 bucks, Im not at all happy with how these are holding up.

2016 green V1K
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
Yeah, mine are not looking too good...I'm running 32/42 as recommended..what pressure are you running?
and these pics were 500 miles ago..Ill get better ones...I have no idea why they are wearing funny...it seems to be a Michelin only thing with my bike.
The wear you show kinda looks like something you would see on a track tire. I notice it is on the bands of softer rubber on the sides of the tire. Do you ride in extreme heat? Was it track day wear or a really hot road surface? Just curious.

I've always had good experience with Michelin Pilot Roads but it was for regular street riding with minimal hard cornering. From what I have read Pirelli Angel GT's might be a better fit for harder sport riding.
crosshairs likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No track days on these..and it was about 85 degrees this last week which is when 2500 of these miles were put on.
I do corner pretty hard and I was down around NC and Tennessee this past week but I have not seen this wear on other tires I have used.
I do like the way they handle, they stick like glue both wet and dry, so Im not bad mouthing them per say, but Im wondering if maybe the recommended pressures are not right

2016 green V1K
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Garage
Quote:

36/42psi. Thats also what i ran on my V-650 and always got about 11,000 miles out of 2 sets of PR3's
crosshairs likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Garage
Maybe has something to do with the road surface???? Out here our roads are lined with Snowflakes Delusions & Liberals Tears.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:03 PM

I had just about made up my mind made up to try a set of Road 5's, but after seeing those photos I'm leaning towards replacing the stock tires on a 2017 650 LT with Pirelli Rosso 3's. I've had very good luck with the PR1's, PR3's and 2 sets of Rosso 3's on previous bikes. Figure I'll start at 34/38 on new tires and adjust from there depending on the wear pattern and handling.

Anyone ever tried the Rosso 3's on their Gen 3?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Maybe has something to do with the road surface???? Out here our roads are lined with Snowflakes Delusions & Liberals Tears.....
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniels View Post
I had just about made up my mind made up to try a set of Road 5's, but after seeing those photos I'm leaning towards replacing the stock tires on a 2017 650 LT with Pirelli Rosso 3's. I've had very good luck with the PR1's, PR3's and 2 sets of Rosso 3's on previous bikes. Figure I'll start at 34/38 on new tires and adjust from there depending on the wear pattern and handling.

Anyone ever tried the Rosso 3's on their Gen 3?
My buddy has a set of those on his Ninja 600...they are very sticky and more sport bike based so I would imaging they would do very well in the corners.., but I dont think you will get many miles from them...then again, they can't wear any worse than my Road 5s did....

2016 green V1K
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Garage
Looks like you are riding on the edge of traction and are orange peeling those tires.

I loved the grip of PR4s but I got punctures on two rear tires and no punctures on other brands of tires. I attribute that to the extreme rain grooves on those tires.
crosshairs likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
here are better pics...total mileage 3240
front

rear

Maybe Im expecting too much....but for 350 bucks, Im not at all happy with how these are holding up.
Iíd be pissed. Thatís ridiculous. Have you tried Dunlop Roadsmart 3ís? Our guys at work have had good luck 10k plus.
crosshairs likes this.

60% of the time, it works every time
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
I’d be pissed. That’s ridiculous. Have you tried Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s? Our guys at work have had good luck 10k plus.

I have not tried them ..I've used PR4s, Metzlers M7RRs and a few sets of Roadtec 01s.... out of those, I liked the Roadtec 01s the best but even those only got me about 6k miles...

Lot of rebates going around, Ill have to see who has the best deal cause this is getting expensive..

2016 green V1K
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I have not tried them ..I've used PR4s, Metzlers M7RRs and a few sets of Roadtec 01s.... out of those, I liked the Roadtec 01s the best but even those only got me about 6k miles...

Lot of rebates going around, Ill have to see who has the best deal cause this is getting expensive..
Try Chaparral out here in CA. You can order on line and they usually have good prices.
crosshairs likes this.

60% of the time, it works every time
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 PM

Glad I looked closer at the photos of the Road 5's with 1000 miles on them. Looks like normal wear, whereas the first set of photos looks like they've been ridden hard and heat cycled a few times which I guess is normal. Could be overinflated a bit, could be a quality control issue, or maybe you're just riding hard. ;-)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniels View Post
Glad I looked closer at the photos of the Road 5's with 1000 miles on them. Looks like normal wear, whereas the first set of photos looks like they've been ridden hard and heat cycled a few times which I guess is normal. Could be overinflated a bit, could be a quality control issue, or maybe you're just riding hard. ;-)

Yeah. dont let me steer you away, you may have a totally different experience..but as far as pressures go, I ran what they said to run on their website..they list 32/42 for the Versys 1000.

2016 green V1K
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm VERY happy w/ everything about the Shinko E705s I've been running for years - wet/dry performance, dirt roads, comfort, noise (lack-of), but I don't try to drag a knee, and keep the pressures at 36F, 42R.

Pretty inexpensive (the rear I just replaced had OVER 10K miles!).
crosshairs likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Anyone running these on a V1K..I have a set that have just over 3000 miles on them now and I do not see them going past 4500...

Full disclosure, I ride my bike like I stole it but I normally get between 5500 and 6k out of a set of tires.....

I've run Roadtec 01's and Metzler M7RRs...I was happy with all of them, ... they all lasted about the same and they all wore very evenly..I had a set of PR4 that wore funny and now the Road 5s are wearing very weird...

I am very happy with the grip both wet and dry,they are the best I have used... but I am severely disappointed with the wear and honestly dont see me buying another set

It's that darn old East Coast Rally. Aka tire eating rally.

Eats tires faster than a Nascar race...Lol.
crosshairs likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
It's that darn old East Coast Rally. Aka tire eating rally.

Eats tires faster than a Nascar race...Lol.

LOL yup... I was down there but I never did meet up with any of the crew..I think they ride too fast to catch....

2016 green V1K
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Full disclosure, I ride my bike like I stole it but I normally get between 5500 and 6k out of a set of tires..... I've run Roadtec 01's and Metzler M7RRs...I was happy with all of them, ... they all lasted about the same and they all wore very evenly..I had a set of PR4 that wore funny and now the Road 5s are wearing very weird...
Were you really getting 6k on your M7RR's? On a V1k to boot. I am on the little brother V-650. Please tell me your secret

I really like the M7RR's but typically get 3500 from the rear and about 5000 from the front. But of course I ride pretty hard too. Hard on the sides of the tire but not the center. Don't think the little V could abuse the center with only 60ish HP.

Man if I was on the V1K I am afraid I would burn off the rear skin in a hurry. On a big power bike I cannot keep from twisting hard on the wick. Love to loft the front wheel and drive hard off the corners, not to mention the o'l Jack Rabbit Starts.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 06-09-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode