Hi,

I have an issue with my Versys 1000.

When down shifting:

- Shifting from 2 -> neutral, can't engage
- Gear selection lever feels like pushing against rubber
- Gear selection display shows 2 flashing horizontal lines

- When in neutral, can't select 1st gear
- Gear display flashing 2 horizontal lines

Anyone seen this issue before ? Have discussed with dealer, they have no idea.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The only issue i had with my V-1000 was going from 4th to 5th which was mostly my fault low rpm or just lazy shifting......If its under warranty i would take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. If they won't do anything go over their head. Contact info is at the back of your owners manual....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is this while rolling or while stopped?

My 2015 650 will do those sorts of things sometimes. When rolling it isn't supposed to go from 2nd to N, only from 2nd all the way to 1st. Once in a while I can finesse it into N, but not often. It should shift nicely from 1st to N whether stopped or rolling.

When stopped it seems that sometimes the gear teeth are blocking each other. If I roll ever so slightly forward it will then allow me to shift. This is with the engine running, like at a stop light. If I stopped in 2nd it can sometimes have that rubbery feel and not downshift into 1st until I roll just a little bit or let out the clutch until it just starts getting a bit of friction.

I've never noticed a problem up-shifting.

The exception to all of that was when I adjusted the shift lever to be higher up. My adventure boots are kind of thick from top to bottom, and with the off-road pegs on the bike I need the shift lever higher. If it is a bit too high then it won't shift properly. There is interference somewhere in the shifter linkage. So if you've adjusted that lever up higher, that could be your problem

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Unbolt the gear lever and grease up the pivot point after cleaning it, then reinstall.
You might want to work some grease into the rose joints of the adjusting rod.

Use a quality waterproof grease like Bellray or something.

Wipe off any excess grease.
when the gear lever pivots are dry it can stick. making it hard to get into some gears and not others.
motorboy likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Is this while rolling or while stopped?

My 2015 650 will do those sorts of things sometimes. When rolling it isn't supposed to go from 2nd to N, only from 2nd all the way to 1st. Once in a while I can finesse it into N, but not often. It should shift nicely from 1st to N whether stopped or rolling.

When stopped it seems that sometimes the gear teeth are blocking each other. If I roll ever so slightly forward it will then allow me to shift. This is with the engine running, like at a stop light. If I stopped in 2nd it can sometimes have that rubbery feel and not downshift into 1st until I roll just a little bit or let out the clutch until it just starts getting a bit of friction.

I've never noticed a problem up-shifting.

The exception to all of that was when I adjusted the shift lever to be higher up. My adventure boots are kind of thick from top to bottom, and with the off-road pegs on the bike I need the shift lever higher. If it is a bit too high then it won't shift properly. There is interference somewhere in the shifter linkage. So if you've adjusted that lever up higher, that could be your problem
Exact same thing on my 2017 650. And I do as you described to re engage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode