An "interesting" morning - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
An "interesting" morning

Needed a rocker switch replacement for my Doran TPMS monitor, so went to the dealer this morning. I installed the Doran tire sensors last night. It's the monitor that's not working because of this faulty rocker switch.

As I'm riding on the highway at 110 km/hr, I notice the bike is feeling "swishy", meaning that it seems to be floating from side to side. I double-check the pavement - no ice. I check the trees for wind - they're not moving. But the bike is "swishy" or "mushy". And I notice that the GPS speed, which is usually 5 km different from the bike's speedo, is significantly different from the speedometer. It can't be the tires - I have new Michelin Road 5's. What is going on?

A motorist comes up beside me, honks his horn, and points down at my rear wheel. I've never had a flat tire on a motorcycle before. Low, but not flat. But this new rear Road 5 is flatter than a pancake. I pull over on the shoulder of the highway. The shoulder is angled down, to move water away from the road, so I'm having trouble finding a spot for the side stand. I finally get the bike on the side stand, and carefully move away. Then a large tractor trailer goes barreling by, and the ensuing wind blows my beautiful, unblemished V1 over. And because the shoulder is on an angle (and I'm getting older), I can't lift the bike up.

Needless to say, I'm spewing a lot of four-letter words. But then my luck begins to change. A motorist pulls over and offers to help. Together we get the bike back up - and on the centre stand. He rides a V-Strom 650, and couldn't pass a fellow motorcyclist in distress. Then a second guy pulls over to help. After they've left a third guy also pulls over to help. This is on a 100 km/hr 4-lane highway. Not a place you'd want to stop.

I carry a pump, so put air in the tire. Got to the dealer, and it turns out the sidewall is bubbling out. Probably due to my riding on the flat tire. But he'll send it to Michelin and try for a warranty replacement.

Oh, and I think the cause of the flat tire in the first place was me not tightly securing the Doran sensor onto the valve stem. I've been using Doran for about 8 years, and this is this is the first time that happened.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800

Last edited by CuddyBuddy; 04-18-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
Aw man. That's horrible! Glad to hear you are ok and got some help though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
well **** just remember if it wasnt for bad days like that good **** wouldnt feel so good glad you came out ok in the end and wernt injured

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are Ok and thanks to bikers who help you out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
Needed a rocker switch replacement for my Doran TPMS monitor, so went to the dealer this morning. I installed the Doran tire sensors last night. It's the monitor that's not working because of this faulty rocker switch.

As I'm riding on the highway at 110 km/hr, I notice the bike is feeling "swishy", meaning that it seems to be floating from side to side. I double-check the pavement - no ice. I check the trees for wind - they're not moving. But the bike is "swishy" or "mushy". And I notice that the GPS speed, which is usually 5 km different from the bike's speedo, is significantly different from the speedometer. It can't be the tires - I have new Michelin Road 5's. What is going on?

A motorist comes up beside me, honks his horn, and points down at my rear wheel. I've never had a flat tire on a motorcycle before. Low, but not flat. But this new rear Road 5 is flatter than a pancake. I pull over on the shoulder of the highway. The shoulder is angled down, to move water away from the road, so I'm having trouble finding a spot for the side stand. I finally get the bike on the side stand, and carefully move away. Then a large tractor trailer goes barreling by, and the ensuing wind blows my beautiful, unblemished V1 over. And because the shoulder is on an angle (and I'm getting older), I can't lift the bike up.

Needless to say, I'm spewing a lot of four-letter words. But then my luck begins to change. A motorist pulls over and offers to help. Together we get the bike back up - and on the centre stand. He rides a V-Strom 650, and couldn't pass a fellow motorcyclist in distress. Then a second guy pulls over to help. After they've left a third guy also pulls over to help. This is on a 100 km/hr 4-lane highway. Not a place you'd want to stop.

I carry a pump, so put air in the tire. Got to the dealer, and it turns out the sidewall is bubbling out. Probably due to my riding on the flat tire. But he'll send it to Michelin and try for a warranty replacement.

Oh, and I think the cause of the flat tire in the first place was me not tightly securing the Doran sensor onto the valve stem. I've been using Doran for about 8 years, and this is this is the first time that happened.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.
Been there done that, had been doing 135 KM/Hr , got off the 4 lane hwy, was a bit disoriented as it was the 403 I crossed but thought the 401, went to turn around on a gravel road, 3 Km later and felt the same thing, new it was the tire, I had plugged the tire 1000 KM before, gravel pushed the plug in, luckily I always carry my tire plugging kit and compressor, in the middle of a swamp with 1000nds of mosquitoes, nothing over 80KM/HR and 60KM from home, I had about 7000 KM on the PR3, short story, my life was worth more than one rear tire. New rubber the same day. I recently upgraded to a second kit, carry both.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Ouch, I can share the pain and frustration. Last year I took my wife's new Honda CTX700 out for an afternoon simply to put some miles on it and before long found myself in the same mushy situation. The bike was willing to turn left but wasn't too happy about turning right - curious. My elderly brain came to the conclusion that something was amiss. Pretty astute, huh?

As it happens the huge rear tire - with less than 100 miles on it - decided to sacrifice itself to what appeared to be a very large sheet metal screw, at the tread and sidewall junction of all places. I must have been having a good time.

The differences in my case were: I wasn't on a 100kph+ major road, the bike didn't get blown over, I didn't carry a pump, and we had to pay for the new rear tire. Thankfully the local Honda dealer picked up the bike and took it back to their dealership - very helpful that was.

What's particularly irritating is that it's the first motorcycle puncture I've had in over 50 years of riding. Fate finally caught up with me it seems. Ah well.

Hope you get a warranty replacement tire and that it stays round for many miles to come.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 04-19-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I had that "swishy" feeling on my '08 a few years ago in AZ, just turning from AZ 60 to AZ 79 at the Florence Junction. Pulled over and saw that my rear was going down. (I had RECENTLY added a 90 degree RUBBER valve-stem, so I 'prodded' it and saw that IT was the problem.

LUCKILY I didn't run it flat; I got a ride to about 100 yards from my house; and I had just finished building a bike-trailer to carry a Versys the day before.

My brother had just pulled up to my place w/ his 3/4 ton GMC, so we hooked-up the trailer, he drove to and then picked up my V, brought it home where I was able to replace that rubber 90 degree w/ one that was BETTER made, and I was "good-to-go"...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:27 AM

I use Ride On tire sealant religiously after having flats far from home. Recently, while changing the rear tire, I noticed a nail in the middle of the tread, the head had worn down to nothing and was invisible without close inspection and the tire had not lost pressure. Call me a believer, I believe baptism comes next....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode