Possibly thinking going to Versys 1000LT from 650LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Possibly thinking going to Versys 1000LT from 650LT

Just as I've got my 2016 650LT the way I want it, my wife now says she want to ride with me again! She had told me her riding days were over, then she got a hip replacement and now is good to go. I'm over 6 feet and 240ish and I'm concerned the 650 may be too "snug" for us. At minimum, I would need to add a top box with a backrest. The last bike we rode together was a 92 Yamaha Venture Royalle; an incredibly comfortable and roomy bike.

I know the 1000LT is an awesome bike. I'm reaching out to you folks that have made the switch to see if it's worth it, and what all I would gain and immediately notice as a two up bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Venture.jpg (77.6 KB, 123 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 PM

You would definitely gain power and room. The fun quotient would still pretty much be there.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Garage
I'm 6'2" and easy 300lbs my girl is small about 5'5" and 120lbs. The V-650 had plenty of room for the both of us. I had a Givi E-55 topcase with the backrest pad on it. It handled both of us well and the power was okay also. She loved the 650 and was pissed when i got rid of it. If your going to do long rides together than i would look at the V-1000. She only feels safe on the bike when its has the topcase on it. I got the V-1000 so it would be better for me 2-up than the FJR i had at the time. She went on the test ride with me on the big V and told me to buy it. But since i brought mine home in July of 2016 she hasn't ridden with me once...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:13 PM

Garage
Heres the first time she ever rode with me...Skip the first 10 minutes and its take you to Ortega Hwy. You can see the bike has now issues with power or handling. My bike has a 16T front sprocket on it....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM

First of all, I think it's great your wife is interested in riding again. Well done her!

Though I've never ridden one, I believe the V1000 might be a good choice. The Versys line has developed a good reputation for handling, reliability and comfort (for some backsides at least) and there are more farkles available than can be counted.

My left hip was replaced four years ago and fortunately it's had little effect on my riding abilities. On the other hand, advancing age and reduced upper body strength has limited the total bike weight I'm comfortable with and that would make the V1000 a non-starter for me.

I've been very pleased with the Versys 650 for every day riding and light touring (me and luggage) but for long distance heavy touring our vehicle of choice is a Can Am Spyder RT-S. Some would consider this to be heresy and not a "real" motorcycle but it's pretty hard to beat for long trips. And, importantly, I don't have to worry about having to pick it up or balance it while pushing it around. Beyond the stability of three wheels with correct configuration (two wheels in front) is has a 6 speed semi-automatic "flappy paddle" gearbox with reverse, ABS, stability control, traction control, dynamic power steering, automatic adjusting rear suspension, electrically adjustable windscreen, electronic cruise control, heated everything, a good stereo, and tons of integrated storage space. And, surprisingly, it's not expensive to insure despite it's cost because it is not considered a sport machine and, apparently, Spyder RT models are only ridden by responsible mature people (and me). How about that!

If I was younger and stronger and had all my original joints, and was considering a two wheel touring machine - that didn't weigh as much as a small house - I'd place the V1000 at the top of my short list in a heart beat. Good fortune and enjoy whatever you select.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 02-22-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
First of all, I think it's great your wife is interested in riding again. Well done her!

Though I've never ridden one, I believe the V1000 might be a good choice. The Versys line has developed a good reputation for handling, reliability and comfort (for some backsides at least) and there are more farkles available than can be counted.

My left hip was replaced four years ago and fortunately it's had little effect on my riding abilities. On the other hand, advancing age and reduced upper body strength has limited the total bike weight I'm comfortable with and that would make the V1000 a non-starter for me.

I've been very pleased with the Versys 650 for every day riding and light touring (me and luggage) but for long distance heavy touring our vehicle of choice is a Can Am Spyder RT-S. Some would consider this to be heresy and not a "real" motorcycle but it's pretty hard to beat for long trips. And, importantly, I don't have to worry about having to pick it up or balance it while pushing it around. Beyond the stability of three wheels with correct configuration (two wheels in front) is has a 6 speed semi-automatic "flappy paddle" gearbox with reverse, ABS, stability control, traction control, dynamic power steering, automatic adjusting rear suspension, electrically adjustable windscreen, electronic cruise control, heated everything, a good stereo, and tons of integrated storage space. And, surprisingly, it's not expensive to insure despite it's cost because it is not considered a sport machine and, apparently, Spyder RT models are only ridden by responsible mature people (and me). How about that!

If I was younger and stronger and had all my original joints, and was considering a two wheel touring machine - that didn't weigh as much as a small house - I'd place the V1000 at the top of my short list in a heart beat. Good fortune and enjoy whatever you select.

Since i have owned both V-650 and V-1000 I find the 1000 easier to maneuver and handle than the 650 and i have a bad hip and knees.
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Since i have owned both V-650 and V-1000 I find the 1000 easier to maneuver and handle than the 650 and i have a bad hip and knees.

I'll readily admit that that surprises me. Why is that so do you feel?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I'll readily admit that that surprises me. Why is that so do you feel?

The 1000 just seems better balanced than my 09 650 did...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Get V1000 and
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Get V1000 and

Yep, Personally i would get the V-1000 but i would at least put a topcase on the 650 and see how it works for you and also she might change her mind again. ( I hear women tend to do that ) Before i spent the money on a bigger bike..
Fastoman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep, Personally i would get the V-1000 but i would at least put a topcase on the 650 and see how it works for you and also she might change her mind again. ( I hear women tend to do that ) Before i spent the money on a bigger bike..
Opps , I forgot that part....Women , and you are right my friend
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I'll do the topcase first as you suggest, and yes my wife has been known to change her mind! Your bike sure sounds as if it's running at a far less frantic pace (RPM's) than my 650 at highway speeds. How would you compare vibration, and ride quality?

If it weighs more, but has a lower center of gravity, that would explain your feeling of being easier to handle at low speeds.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I think I'll do the topcase first as you suggest, and yes my wife has been known to change her mind! Your bike sure sounds as if it's running at a far less frantic pace (RPM's) than my 650 at highway speeds. How would you compare vibration, and ride quality?

If it weighs more, but has a lower center of gravity, that would explain your feeling of being easier to handle at low speeds.

When i put the 16T front sprocket on it lowered the RPM's by 500 doing 70mph. The sprocket change made the bike more manageable at lower speeds and was still quick when you needed it to be.My bike had a Yosi on it so it was louder than most.
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 AM

Garage
Seems that you should try out how she does with the bike you have. For just the occasional jaunt it should do well. Unless, of course you just have new-bike-fever.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

so it goes...
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
I wouldn`t mind riding the 1000 to do a compare.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I got to do a trial-ride on a '12 V1000 for a couple of hours a few years ago (for Alaskjeff who was thinking of getting one from Canada, BEFORE they became available in the US).

IMHO - nice enough bike, but would I want one? Not really.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:16 PM

I actually went from a 2015 650 to a 2016 1000. I love the 1000, and I agree it is really easy to handle. To me it doesn't even seem any heavier. You get nice extras included like the rear rack mount and a center stand, the slipper/assist clutch is a bit weird at first but I love it now. Tons of power all over the rev range, I'm really glad I made the switch.
weljo2001 and funflyingguy like this.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I've noticed the same thing.

I test rode both a FJ-09 and Ninja 1k today and both were better balanced and easier to U-turn than my 09 V650.

Especially surprising considering how vague and touchy the FJ-09 throttle is.

I am really wanting to test ride a V 1k now. The FJ-09 has a bizarre riding position (pegs are lower and further back than the Versys, feels really strange) and an awful stock seat in addition to the weird throttle. The Ninja 1k I test rode was a 2015 and was a tad vibey and desperately needs a 190/55 rear tire (standard literbike with the too flat profile 190/50 rear that makes the bike not want to lean).
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 04-02-2018 at 09:59 PM.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
...I test rode both a FJ-09 and Ninja 1k today and both were better balanced and easier to U-turn than my 09 V650....
Just a thought - TRY a Gen 3 650 TOO. I got a '15 650LT when my '09 650 was an "insurance-write-off" back in July '15 (...and haven't ridden it since mid-Oct, so I can't give a current opinion). Perhaps it and the V1000 are closer in 'handling' than the Gen 1 '09 is...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
You might also want to try a Concours. While not as nimble as the Versys 650, I like the way it handles and it really feels planted when cruising at highway speeds -- my 13 year old son rides with me and he likes not feeling as blown around on the highway. Adds a few more creature comforts and no chain maintenance. You can often find deals on leftover prior year models.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode