Possibly thinking going to Versys 1000LT from 650LT - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
You might also want to try a Concours. While not as nimble as the Versys 650, I like the way it handles and it really feels planted when cruising at highway speeds -- my 13 year old son rides with me and he likes not feeling as blown around on the highway. Adds a few more creature comforts and no chain maintenance. You can often find deals on leftover prior year models.
It is a bit more aggressive riding position than a Versys. The two main things I've heard about the C14 is it absolutely EATS rear tires (and benefits from a 190/55 rear to liven up the handling) and maintenance on it is a pain in the rear. It is also "license endangering" fast with even a little throttle input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
It is a bit more aggressive riding position than a Versys.
I have both bikes, and to me the Concours position feels about the same as the Versys (and I would not like a more aggressive position). I'm not really bent over at all. However, some people do use handlebar risers.

Quote:
The two main things I've heard about the C14 is it absolutely EATS rear tires (and benefits from a 190/55 rear to liven up the handling) and maintenance on it is a pain in the rear.
I haven't heard a lot about eating tires. So far, so good for me, but I only have about 2,700 miles so far. I belong to 2 Connie forums and people seem to get about the same mileage out of tires as Versys people do. My bike is too new for me to comment on maintenance, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints from the other forums. I have to say, I do love having shaft drive and not having a chain to lube every time I get caught in the rain.

Quote:
It is also "license endangering" fast with even a little throttle input.
The Connie does like to run, so self-control is required. It is certainly manageable, but to me there's more than enough power in stock form.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
I have both bikes, and to me the Concours position feels about the same as the Versys (and I would not like a more aggressive position). I'm not really bent over at all. However, some people do use handlebar risers.

I haven't heard a lot about eating tires. So far, so good for me, but I only have about 2,700 miles so far. I belong to 2 Connie forums and people seem to get about the same mileage out of tires as Versys people do. My bike is too new for me to comment on maintenance, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints from the other forums. I have to say, I do love having shaft drive and not having a chain to lube every time I get caught in the rain.

The Connie does like to run, so self-control is required. It is certainly manageable, but to me there's more than enough power in stock form.
that much power would be a huge change from a V 650, I'm used to just wailing on it everywhere because it isn't that fast.
Morgan2112 likes this.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
that much power would be a huge change from a V 650, I'm used to just wailing on it everywhere because it isn't that fast.
It's an adjustment, but at least as long as you keep the traction control on that keeps the front tire down. But you learn very quickly to moderate your throttle except when you really want a rush!

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM

I own a 15 V650 but had the opportunity a few weeks ago to ride a 2016 V1K for about 4-5 hours on familiar roads in my area. It's a very nice bike. No comparing the engines. The liter motor is like a turbine which is a sensation I really like. The ride mode was set to full the whole time and while the speed can creep up without noticing it, I found the engine very easy to manage, very predictable. And powerful. To me, it seems there is more room in the cockpit of the V1K. The saddle seems a bit bigger and the pillion is a lot bigger. I found that I could handle the V1K easier at low speeds than my own 650. After riding both the 650 and 1000, I'll be keeping my 650. That said, if I had a partner to ride pillion, I'd trade up to the V1K ASAP. Just a better bike for two up IMHO. YMMV
weljo2001 and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:04 AM

Garage
Get what you want, not what you need. You only live once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_3400.jpg (67.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_3202.jpg (78.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_3190.jpg (78.8 KB, 29 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
13 DL650 V-Strom ( )
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Get what you want, not what you need. You only live once.
Odd collection of bikes.

Basically

Small (V300)

Medium (wee strom)

Large (V1k)

Ballastic Missile (FJR)

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP RIDER View Post
I own a 15 V650 but had the opportunity a few weeks ago to ride a 2016 V1K for about 4-5 hours on familiar roads in my area. It's a very nice bike. No comparing the engines. The liter motor is like a turbine which is a sensation I really like. The ride mode was set to full the whole time and while the speed can creep up without noticing it, I found the engine very easy to manage, very predictable. And powerful. To me, it seems there is more room in the cockpit of the V1K. The saddle seems a bit bigger and the pillion is a lot bigger. I found that I could handle the V1K easier at low speeds than my own 650. After riding both the 650 and 1000, I'll be keeping my 650. That said, if I had a partner to ride pillion, I'd trade up to the V1K ASAP. Just a better bike for two up IMHO. YMMV
The main low speed handling issue the V650 has is the jerky fueling. I've always found 4 cylinder bikes to be much easier at low speeds just because their power delivery is much smoother. I would like to test ride a V1k, haven't had the chance yet, none of the Kawi dealers have a V1k demo bike and most around here require an approved credit app to test ride otherwise (except used bikes where they don't usually care).
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The main low speed handling issue the V650 has is the jerky fueling..
I quite agree. It is a bit on/off at certain speeds and RPM's.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP RIDER View Post
I quite agree. It is a bit on/off at certain speeds and RPM's.
It is the worst at parking lot speeds, part of why the V650 isn't as easy to ride at low speeds as it should be.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
It is the worst at parking lot speeds, part of why the V650 isn't as easy to ride at low speeds as it should be.
I believe I use my clutch a lot while riding at low speeds, to keep it smooth.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I believe I use my clutch a lot while riding at low speeds, to keep it smooth.
It's almost as bad as a Sportster at low speeds, you REALLY have to slip the clutch a lot on a Sportster due to the really tall 1st gear and general Harley-ness of it.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The main low speed handling issue the V650 has is the jerky fueling. I've always found 4 cylinder bikes to be much easier at low speeds just because their power delivery is much smoother. I would like to test ride a V1k, haven't had the chance yet, none of the Kawi dealers have a V1k demo bike and most around here require an approved credit app to test ride otherwise (except used bikes where they don't usually care).

I went into the dealership to get some parts for my FJR and was checking out the new Versys 650 & 1000 on the showroom floor. Started talking to the sales guy and told him what i had liked about my V-650 so much and had been waiting on the V-1000 to come to the states but gave up and got the FJR in 2014. So he asked me if i would like to test ride the 1000. I said i didn't think dealerships gave out test rides anymore. He goes ah we can make it happen so i said i can't do it today so we set it up for the following tuesday so my girlfriend went with me we test rode it and she told me to buy it.....If they guy didn't offer the test ride i would have keep the FJR a couple of more years....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I went into the dealership to get some parts for my FJR and was checking out the new Versys 650 & 1000 on the showroom floor. Started talking to the sales guy and told him what i had liked about my V-650 so much and had been waiting on the V-1000 to come to the states but gave up and got the FJR in 2014. So he asked me if i would like to test ride the 1000. I said i didn't think dealerships gave out test rides anymore. He goes ah we can make it happen so i said i can't do it today so we set it up for the following tuesday so my girlfriend went with me we test rode it and she told me to buy it.....If they guy didn't offer the test ride i would have keep the FJR a couple of more years....
All depends on the dealer. The Kawi dealer local to me will pretty much let me test ride anything I want (though I don't abuse this). A lot of others around here will allow test rides with a credit app. The Harley and Indian shops will let you test ride whatever you want (HD and especially Indian REALLY encourage it).
weljo2001 likes this.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Garage
Have you decided on the V1k? I have owned mine a relatively short time, but I highly reccomend it. The engine is a slightly neutered Ninja 1000 at ~120hp. It can wake you up. That being said, it has no problem walking away from other bikes and trouble. It is FAST but predictable and confidence inspiring. The traction control helps keep you out of trouble, but you can change modes if you trust your cat-like response with its unfettered engine. It doesn’t play with mode set to 1. I ride in 3, which makes it more idiot proof. I have started to lift the front a few times and it reigned it in instantly without a loss of speed. In rain, it’s been a dream. It gets attention.

If you really want to appreciate the bike, hit a few roundabouts or curvy roads and experience it during countersteering. It dips smoothly and quickly. Sits up quickly with a bit of throttle and flicks from one side to the other quickly and like butter. It doesn’t want to dive or fall in curves; it just settles in. Balance is perfection in my experience. This is where the V1k really shines.

Maneuverability is simply amazing, dare I say ‘flickable.” It rides much lighter than its weight. It carries up to 485 pounds without a grunt. Children and their pets will like you more when you’re on it.

As for the bad, well, there are no bad complaints. There are some minor niggles though.

1.) The brakes are good, but not amazing.
2.) I wish it had places to store a few things in the fairing tops as it has the room, but it doesn’t.
3.) The gearing is a bit low. Sprockets can be changed, but it throws your gear indicator off after gear 2 from what I have heard. It could benefit from a 7th gear.
4.) The bags could be a bit larger, but they are quite nice, watertight and removable.
5.) I wish other colors were available. The black is just not that visible.
6.) There is no cruise control or way to add it.
7.) The seat is less than comfortable. I use an AirHawk. It works perfectly for my butt.
8.) Lastly, there is no gin and tonic dispenser or lime storage compartment. This sucks. That is the real frickin’ tragedy of this bike if you ask me.

In general, it is stable, comfy and predictable. Handles remarkably well at all speeds. Super well balanced. Behaves well. Lots of payload. Playful yet all businees when necessary. A simple and dependable bike that does everything you ask of it with dependability and no questions. You cannot make a bad decision with this bike plus it doesn’t make your butt look big!

Go for it.
Devilsfan likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?

Last edited by Shibumik; 08-17-2018 at 12:31 AM.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 AM

Garage
Is there a sissy bar you can try instead of a trunk?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep, Personally i would get the V-1000 but i would at least put a topcase on the 650 and see how it works for you and also she might change her mind again. ( I hear women tend to do that ) Before i spent the money on a bigger bike..
So I still have my V 650, but I took weljo2001 advice and bought a cheap top box with a pad and I'll try to get the wife to do a test ride. She already looked at the top box pad and said it's too small!

https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Motorc...rds=yescom+30l

https://www.amazon.com/Givi-SR4114-A.../dp/B0126SED9W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0161.jpg (79.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (69.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (67.7 KB, 17 views)
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
So I still have my V 650, but I took weljo2001 advice and bought a cheap top box with a pad and I'll try to get the wife to do a test ride. She already looked at the top box pad and said it's too small!

https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Motorc...rds=yescom+30l

https://www.amazon.com/Givi-SR4114-A.../dp/B0126SED9W

Just tell her....Thats funny my girlfriend liked it....
Devilsfan likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just tell her....Thats funny my girlfriend liked it....
Always sage advice from weljo2001

We've already run into our next challenge. With the limited maneuvering space available, how the heck does a passenger (who qualifies for senior discount, and has had hip replacement ) get on the bike! Passenger gets on first?

I remember last year on the forum we had some good discussion for the rider, but not for the passenger.

Fasteddie?
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post

We've already run into our next challenge. With the limited maneuvering space available, how the heck does a passenger (who qualifies for senior discount, and has had hip replacement ) get on the bike! Passenger gets on first?
That's what I did when I took my wife for a ride on my KTM 1190.

With the bike on the side stand I had her mount up first. She has bad back and knees but with all the room and me to assist it was not too bad. The tough part was when it was my turn. Had to do the o'l right leg over the seat then squirm the rest of me on top.

Good luck.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode