Registration Fees - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Registration Fees

Iím curious as what registration cost in other states. I live in California. My bike is a 17 V1k. I just received my renewal from the DMV for 2018 and itís $225. Seemed kinda steep, welcome to freaking CA!
weljo2001 and JeffR!1234 like this.

60% of the time, it works every time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Garage
I'm in Indiana, paid about 160 for my VX300. I was a little surprised; I usually pay about 60 each for my van and my other bike.

2017 Versys X 300 abs
1983 KZ1100
1995 Astro van
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
About $19 in FLA. Personalized adds I think 15.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Garage
In GA we have a one time ad valorem registration fee when you first purchase/title a new vehicle of I think 7% of the cost of the vehicle (cars or bikes), but that is in lieu of Sales tax. Other than that we have a $20 tag renewal fee each year per vehicle.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
In TN we pay a little over 7% sales tax on the difference between sale price and trade in if you have a trade in. Yearly registration fee varies by county. My BIL pays under $25 a year for bikes or cars. I pay just under $100 a year per vehicle.

When I lived in AL it was based on value of the vehicle, but sales tax was just over 2% in my county. Some cities have fees on to of state and county fees.

In both states we pay sales tax on everything including food.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
Iím curious as what registration cost in other states. I live in California. My bike is a 17 V1k. I just received my renewal from the DMV for 2018 and itís $225. Seemed kinda steep, welcome to freaking CA!
I just renewed my 2014 V-STrom 650 reg. yesterday $89.00 in Colorado.I think that is Highway Robbery. Even though the Reg Tax/Fee does decrease each year as the bike gets older. What you payed is the price for living in the Great State of California. Please keep it there. Don't let it migrate to Colorado.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
...What you paid is the price for living in the Great State of California. Please keep it there. Don't let it migrate to Colorado.
Please don't let it migrate ANYWHERE...!
kenr74 and Duffy like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:08 PM

Garage
In Ohio, it's $38.88 for one year, $75.63 for two years. All on the Oplates website, no waiting in line at the license bureau!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

If you live in Orange County...You can afford it... .........https://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/0...orange-county/
turn8a and JeffR!1234 like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM

My registration renewal form, which is sitting on my desk, informs me that the great state of Texas wants $54.75. But before I'm allowed to do that I must have the vehicle inspected - about $12.00. After the appropriate computers exchange information I can then re-register online. Piece of cake.

For a state that has no income tax, that isn't too bad at all. Or so it seems anyway.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
$58 for two years i think is what i paid last (tho when i lived IN portland it was $100+)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If you live in Orange County...You can afford it... .........https://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/0...orange-county/

Exactly why I want to move to another state when I retire, most likely Idaho.
turn8a, weljo2001 and JeffR!1234 like this.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
My registration renewal form, which is sitting on my desk, informs me that the great state of Texas wants $54.75. But before I'm allowed to do that I must have the vehicle inspected - about $12.00. After the appropriate computers exchange information I can then re-register online. Piece of cake.

For a state that has no income tax, that isn't too bad at all. Or so it seems anyway.
Having lived in Wichita Falls for 11 years I found the vehicle registrations in Texas were quite cheap. However even with no state income tax, the state will get it money via property tax. I was paying bout 5% tax on the value of my house. Left pocket, right pocket.. it does not matter, the state will get it's money some how.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Iím obviously getting screwed after reading the replies. Thanks Gov. Jerry Brown. This clown raised the gas tax and DMV fees anywhere from $50-$175 based on value of vehicle. It starts at 5k-24,999 being a flat $50 and increases up to $175. Pisses me off.
turn8a, weljo2001 and JeffR!1234 like this.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a custom plate so that added $50 for the first year ($20 ea year after) So it was $150 instead of the $98 it would have been. 2011 Versys.

Keep in mind that Nevada has very high vehicle registration fees. Because of no state income tax we get hit hard. On my 2014 F150 I paid $550 this last year.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
I have a custom plate so that added $50 for the first year ($20 ea year after) So it was $150 instead of the $98 it would have been. 2011 Versys.

Keep in mind that Nevada has very high vehicle registration fees. Because of no state income tax we get hit hard. On my 2014 F150 I paid $550 this last year.
I wouldn't let Nevada off so easy. We are about $20 per year with no income tax in FLA.
Kyle E likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Iím obviously getting screwed after reading the replies. Thanks Gov. Jerry Brown. This clown raised the gas tax and DMV fees anywhere from $50-$175 based on value of vehicle. It starts at 5k-24,999 being a flat $50 and increases up to $175. Pisses me off.

Yep, I just had lunch with the oldest boy and he has to get his registration re-newed and it went from about $350.00 to about $475.00 on his BMW 535d

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Ontario Costs (in Canadian dollars). Multiply by 0.8 to get US dollars.

Vehicle permit (all vehicles): $32

Licence plate (new and replacement), with permit: $59

Annual Plate sticker $42 for motorcycle, the cost of the annual plate sticker decreases to $21 if you live in a remote region like Northern Ontario. 13 million of the 13.6 million population live in the southern tip. $120 for a car, $60 for a car in Northern Ontario.

The permit and plate need only be purchased once, when registering the motorcycle for the first time. The plate stickers have to be renewed annually during your birth month.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-18-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksklrst View Post
Having lived in Wichita Falls for 11 years I found the vehicle registrations in Texas were quite cheap. However even with no state income tax, the state will get it money via property tax. I was paying bout 5% tax on the value of my house. Left pocket, right pocket.. it does not matter, the state will get it's money some how.
Well, we can be thankful we don't live in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax or income tax. However, and it's a monumental however, property tax is the elephant in the room. I recall talking to a NH resident several years ago who was apoplectic about paying something like $7400 property tax on a house valued as around $130,000. In my county in Texas the bill would be around $1700 for the same home value.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Ontario Costs (in Canadian dollars). Multiply by 0.8 to get US dollars.

Vehicle permit (all vehicles): $32

Licence plate (new and replacement), with permit: $59

Annual Plate sticker $42 for motorcycle, the cost of the annual plate sticker decreases to $21 if you live in a remote region like Northern Ontario. 13 million of the 13.6 million population live in the southern tip. $120 for a car, $60 for a car in Northern Ontario.

The permit and plate need only be purchased once, when registering the motorcycle for the first time. The plate stickers have to be renewed annually during your birth month.

There is also an additional 13% sales tax on all purchases like this except for essentials like food, medical expenses, clothing and housing.
All that went up January 1st. Plate sticker for a car is now $124. etc...

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode